Hostess Brands closing....no more Twinkies!

Options

Replies

• wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Meh, Twinkies are gross. Not a huge loss for me. As long as Little Debbie Swiss Rolls never go off the market, I'll be okay. :tongue:

oh i like little debbie swiss rolls like crazy! and the fudge rounds...oh my. :love:

*but all fat food*

still yummy though
  • pwindahl
    pwindahl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I knew you'd respond to my message. You're very predictable. But you are correct about one thing. Our freedoms have suffered greatly over the last 4 years and I expect more during the next 4 years. But for now, I can still carry a gun (because I can) and eat pudding (because I can), and read my Bible (because I can), and respond to you (because I can). Four years from now all bets are off. God Bless America.
  • CaityB14
    CaityB14 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Not a twinkie eater and never have been. It just wasn't very good the first time I ate a twinkie.

Plus maybe they would not be going out of business if they just treated their workers fairly.
  • yrollamm
    Options
    No Hostess Chocolate Cupcakes....how can life be so cruel?

(I like the yellow ones too)
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Poorly Run Company + Corrupt Union = 18,000 without a job now

I am sorry, but you cant blame the union. The workers and the union kept taking pay cuts while the CEO and other execs gave themselves 300% raises a couple of months before they filed for bankruptcy.

Blame this on the Corporate officers of the company, not the union or the workers - they had already made enough sacrifices.

This is Corporate GREED.

Actually you can blame the union. How many people would kill for a job right now, while the union went on strike for better pay and benefits.

The majority of industries/sectors that are heavily unionized aren't doing so hot; auto manufacturing, public education, public services etc etc

Umm no. They were asking that pay and benefits stay the SAME and not take another pay cut while the EXECS gave themselves a 300% pay increase.

You can't blame the union workers. They were being asked to give up their pensions, benefits and work for barely more than minimum wage.

You can't keep taking from the people that are doing the actual work while giving yourself a raise.

Defined benefit plans are doing in many a company and need to go away ASAP. The workers lost their jobs because they refused to go back to work. They obviously aren't very good at math, $0 and no job < pay + benefits and having a job

I don't blame them. I was raised (as many in the Midwest) to stand up for what you believe and don't back down.

You never compromise your integrity and dignity for someone else. If they believe in what they were fighting for, then YES fight for it.

So you are saying we need to be working with no beneffit plans??? I will stop working and go off the grid if companies go to this. I will NEVER work for anyone and not have decent compensation and benefits if they want me to work for their company.

Why don't you put the blame where it lies? I suppose you are all for the CEO and other Execs giving themselves 300% pay increases and then file bankruptcy????

Wow, some people are just like these thiefs if they are thinking that this is ok.

Who is going to be the thief, the greedy SOBs that lost their job because they wouldn't go back to work and now will be stealing taxpayer dollars for UE checks when it's their own damn fault they lost their jobs

And I don't have a defined benefit plan, I have a defined contribution plan and they weren't eliminating their benefits but reducing them and making them pay a bit more

^^ this.

I'm thinking we're going to be seeing more and more of this as Obamacare hits the fan....employers and corporations are going to pass on the burden.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    good riddance

The government should have banned Twinkies years ago

Actually, it should ban the cows they get the cream for the Twinkies from! Milk is bad for you!!!!!!!!

I live on milk. They ban cows, I'll black market it. lol. I have never broken a bone and had very few cavities, and I'm clumsy, crazy, and eat lots of chocolate. I like to think its the milk. I think it does my body good. No matter what ppl want me to think.
  • tryshaantonelli
    tryshaantonelli Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    sorry, I gotta say that twinkies, even the deep fried ones, are just disgusting! there are good hostess crap junk food items, but twinkies aren't one of them. theres not even any chocolate involved. although i use the word 'chocolate' loosely. your much better off going to a real bakery and having something truly worth the cheat calories.
  • pwindahl
    pwindahl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    good riddance

Actually, it should ban the cows they get the cream for the Twinkies from! Milk is bad for you!!!!!!!!

And ban the sun that grows the grass that feeds the cows that make the cream that fill the Twinkies. Don't you love our government? Where does it end?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

I havent heard of anything like that going on here in St Louis and my husband passes by the Hostess plant several times a day.

He said people are picketing and the news hasnt reported any type of vandalism or anything. From what I understand NO ONE here in St Louis is crossing the picket line though. They are steadfast about the Corporate people that gave themselves HUGE raises all the while asking the workers to lose their pension and take a larger pay cut and other benefit cuts.

They should have outed the CEO and other Corporate officers.

This is reason enough to never buy hostess again.....sick of corporate greed!

Agreed....it is outrageous that these corporations who provide a product that we buy actually expect to see a profit.

:noway:

That is such an ignorant comment. If they wanted to see a profit, then they shouldn't have given themselves 300% raises while they sit in their fancy offices and such.

I can't believe how many people agree with the scum of the earth Execs and the slime ball of a CEO.

You mean scummy unions destroying everything they touch

Sorry, but I am a believer in unions and protecting the employees from Corporate GREED.

My dad was part of the UMWA and then UAW union for years and years.

I live in a very large unionized area of the country, not a right to work state where they can fire you for sneezing wrong.
  • Marla64
    Options

I havent heard of anything like that going on here in St Louis and my husband passes by the Hostess plant several times a day.

He said people are picketing and the news hasnt reported any type of vandalism or anything. From what I understand NO ONE here in St Louis is crossing the picket line though. They are steadfast about the Corporate people that gave themselves HUGE raises all the while asking the workers to lose their pension and take a larger pay cut and other benefit cuts.

Agreed....it is outrageous that these corporations who provide a product that we buy actually expect to see a profit.

That is such an ignorant comment. If they wanted to see a profit, then they shouldn't have given themselves 300% raises while they sit in their fancy offices and such.

I can't believe how many people agree with the scum of the earth Execs and the slime ball of a CEO.

Booyah.
    :happy:
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    On the one hand, I'm sorry that people will be unemployed (although they did have a hand in that). On the other hand, good riddance to bad junk.

Of course, until our Farm Bill changes and we stop subsidies for wheat, corn, and soy, stuff like Hostess will be cheap and prolific.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Whatever will Tallahassee do now? Stockpile maybe? Twinkies have a long shelf life.

I totally thought of this too!

MYTH! The shelf life of a Twinkie is 26 days per Hostess. I too am sad about all the people who will lose their jobs
  • mercymarque
    Options
    I know.. Gonna rush to the store and get some of there 100 calorie cakes. I haven't had a twinkie in years. So sad. I loved them as a child
  • Marla64
    Options
    I knew you'd respond to my message. You're very predictable. But you are correct about one thing. Our freedoms have suffered greatly over the last 4 years and I expect more during the next 4 years. But for now, I can still carry a gun (because I can) and eat pudding (because I can), and read my Bible (because I can), and respond to you (because I can). Four years from now all bets are off. God Bless America.

Amen.
  • cynthia4781
    Options
    nooooooooooo!!! :sad: i love the orange cupcakes!! :frown:

probably a good thing then...lol
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Laughable at best. It has been going on for far longer than 4 years. I am glad you want to solely blame 1 person that encompasses 8 years in a history of a country that hasn't been free in many, many years - way before either one of our existence.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    good riddance

And ban the sun that grows the grass that feeds the cows that make the cream that fill the Twinkies. Don't you love our government? Where does it end?

It would be helpful if they could ban the sun--it causes skin cancer!
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I got a twinkie in my Halloween bag when I was 12. Its on my bookshelf. I am 50 now. It stlll looks great. Hmmmm?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Sorry, but I am a believer in unions and protecting the employees from Corporate GREED.

My dad was part of the UMWA and then UAW union for years and years.

I live in a very large unionized area of the country, not a right to work state where they can fire you for sneezing wrong.

Lol the UAW has been awesome for the auto industry, hey let's have job banks and pay greedy unioners to not work and do crossword puzzles

Unions are just as greedy if not more
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    good riddance

What about the wheat? Shouldn't the wheat be banned because of gluten and stuff! Carbs are evil, you know!