What is the one thing you gave up to lose weight (if any)?

Options

Replies

• All_Out_Attack
    Options
    Beer. Didn't give it up entirely, but I love a good full-bodied beer. I just drink it a lot less often now. And foie gras. Steaks finished with a pat of clarified butter. Decadence in general. I'm a lot healthier and feel better most of the time, though.
  • MissesForrester
    MissesForrester Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Wow.. I couldn't give up half of what I read.. I never was a soda drinker so I only really have that if I eat out..

Give up meat?? No way!! or cake?? I think I would end up binging in the long run.. I don't eat sweets a lot but when I do get my sweet tooth, I want to satisfy it with something good and yummy... that is bad for you..hahaha...

Giving up meat is not so bad. I haven't had any for 2 weeks and im not craving any. But i would'nt call myself a vegetarian, just trying it out for a while. I havent lost any weight from it yet, But i feel lighter and have more energy, so far.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Boba drinks, I can't even have them in moderation because alot of shops don't list the calories for them. I imagine it's a lot of calories..ahh but I love it :c

I love those.. I don't like them so much out here as I did in Hawaii.. Have a favorite place I would get mine at.. I tell you when I go back.. I will have to have some...just because...
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything to specifically "lose weight," but I have eliminated certain foods that have triggered binge eating for me in the past: sugary cereals (Fruity Pebbles and Fruit Loops were my favorites), most fast food (especially McDonald's - haven't eaten at that crap joint in years), and Haagen Daas ice cream. :sad: :cry: :sad: :cry:
  • pandoraw
    pandoraw Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Binging. I haven't done it in 10 months and haven't missed it. I don't deny myself of any food I like, I just eat in moderation.
  • Missyb1270
    Options
    I reluctantly gave up junk food (sweets, fries, bread) and alcohol!!! It was worth it to feel healthier not to mention look better (and look younger). You would be anazed how younger you look when you loose weight!!
  • MrsHarris6
    MrsHarris6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Butter
    Vegetable Oil
    SODA
    To some degree a LOT of carbs!
  • lizapettit
    lizapettit Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Soda, candy (except tootsie pops), and white bread/rolls/crackers <---- which were my favorites :sad:
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I could eat 2 bagels a day-every day: breakfast with cream cheese, lunch with cheese and ham. now it is a treat.

pizza-i would eat 3 slices at least once a week-many time more days per week than one.

the mindless snacking of chips, gold fish, crackers and nacho chips. I would eat handfuls upon handfuls at a time!
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Cold cereal. I just can't have it in the house and make it last more than 2 days. I buy it maybe twice a year, just to see if I can do better. I can't.

Other than that I find a way to fit in everything I like, just not all on the same day. This is for life, people. I don't believe in doing anything to lose weigh that I'm not willing to do for the rest of my life, and I don't plan on completely cutting out ANY food for the rest of my life. Except liver and Brussels sprouts.
  • grinner30
    grinner30 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Soda ( occasional diet soda still consumed)
    Alcohol
    98% of all sweet treats (compared to what I used to consume)
    Fast food
    TV -to many snacks during TV watching!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Seconds and thirds.....
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    1. I quit drinking.
    2. Gave up pop
    3. Gave up seconds

theses were my biggest changes
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Overeating. I still eat everything, but while measuring it, I don't more than I'm hungry anymore. I would never give up anything I like just to become thin. But I gave up meat, but for other reasons.
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    alcohol...chocolate...fast food

just realised it was only meant to be one thing :bigsmile: Oops
  • Whtshprd
    Whtshprd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As far as foods or drinks go, I gave up nothing. I just kept (and continue) to my calorie goals per day.
  • Katiedid717
    Katiedid717 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I used to drink almost every day - a couple beers at a baseball game, a glass of wine with dinner, a mixed drink or three at the bar with friends. Once I looked up the calories in the drinks I was choosing...well, it was obvious that I needed to cut back. Now, I mainly only drink on Friday nights - usually a couple vodka and seltzers, with glasses of water in between. The bartender (a good friend of mine) teased me about it at first, but now that it's been a couple of months, he's used to keeping my water glass full =)

I also had to REALLY cut back on carbs. I used to jokingly call myself a "pastatarian" - all I ate was pasta, every day. I'll have some pasta or rice with dinner sometimes, but I'm trying to instead use whole-grain bread and eat meat and vegetables.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Mine will be Dr Pepper. I've cut down considerably in the last couple of years, but it's my only vice and I am loathe to be rid of it. But honestly, after logging my food for 2.5 months, I see how much I've wasted in empty calories consuming the crap. I don't have the will power to do it cold turkey. I've tried in the past and it just....doesn't turn out well. But I do recognize it as one of the things I definitely need to cut out of my life, for many reasons.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I gave up being lazy. :) and that's about it. other things have been cut, but they're okay in moderation.

I did severely cut my beer intake though, and that helped A LOT.
  • Angel0787
    Angel0787 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Reese cups and chicken Quesadillas from Taco bell...two of my favorites >.<