Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What is the one thing you gave up to lose weight (if any)?

Replies

• JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Candy, Lay's potato chips, take-out pizza, fries, burgers, cake, and fast food.
  • seashell99z
    seashell99z Posts: 113 Member
    I feel that anything is possible if you account and plan for it...with one exception. I gave up Whataburger's A1 Thick and Hearty Burger. *sighs
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,733 Member
    101637744-640x639-0-0_Arizona+ARIZONA+SWEET+TEA+GALLONS+Arizona.jpg

pretty much all i drink now is water. boring. tasteless. water.
  • AshlynG923
    AshlynG923 Posts: 59 Member
    I gave up overeating pretty much. I still eat things I love.. which aren't all healthy choices, I just don't eat 3000 calories worth of those things any more.
  • aliceb39
    aliceb39 Posts: 84 Member
    Larger portions. No more 16+ oz glasses of milk, 4 or 5 cookies at a sitting, etc. I do eat less fast food than I used to, but I don't feel like I've given it up. Except when I drive past McD and pass up the 2 for $3 Sausage McMuffins with egg! On vacation in August, I got a regular Egg McMuffin; I didn't enjoy it at all. I decided then that on my next vacation, a Sausage McMuffin with egg is worth whatever calorie counting and exercise I have to do to make up for it. 8^)
  • Kelly_May88
    Kelly_May88 Posts: 9 Member
    First thing I gave up in changing my life was smoking. I was lax in my food watching during this as I gave up cold turkey and it was hard (my partner is a smoker too). I put on 5 kgs. I've lost most of it now and I'm much happier for it. I'd rather have to lose that 5 kgs than keep smoking and struggling during even a short walk.

I've also given up instant gratification. Indulging every craving whenever I want. The more I induldged, the more I craved - so now my craving has a little discussion with my mindset before I indulge (or dont).

I've not given up anything else completely - most bad things I've just tried to find a healthier version to still enjoy on certain occasions.
  • Grains, except for small amounts of forbidden rice. (Like maybe once or twice a week at most.) Mostly this means wheat, which I have found paleo alternatives for things that I occasionally HAVE to have.

This has really cut down on my cravings, stabilized my blood sugar, and gotten rid of the achy hip and Bible bump I had on my wrist. And about 10 lbs since I cut it out. (Another 5 after I found this site.) Getting rid of the grain was not the cure all - I did start to gain back with eating more fat, eggs and meat. Now I moderate the amounts I eat and am doing better with the weight loss. And no, I am not hungry. I eat more out of habit than hunger. Which is why I need to count.
  • SaraJanePOWER
    SaraJanePOWER Posts: 88 Member
    Excuses. And that is IT.
    I love this... nuff said
  • norrishbex
    norrishbex Posts: 35 Member
    I gave up:

Foods that had their own mascot.
    Soft drink
    Grains

I increased the amount of water I drink. I went from having next to nothing, to drinking a minimum of 2L per day. More when I exercise.

I follow a primal diet (paleo plus dairy) and while I still have the occasional slip up, its more out of convenience than actual cravings.
  • 2KMILLER
    2KMILLER Posts: 6 Member
    Mexican food & Tex Mex. Ooh, that was a tough one. I love it and it's so bad for you! Now I eat it maybe once a month. Used to be 3 times a week. Also, I've pretty much said goodbye to desserts and alcohol, but those were much easier than my Tex Mex habit!
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    I have given up mindless eating.
  • I haven't given up any one food.

I have given up second deserts, a midnight slice of pizza after already having three squares, and a lot of sugary drinks that were making me sick to my stomache anyway (I'm fructose intolerant and high fructose corn syrup is a real mean one on my body). I also eat less cheese which is probably for the best since I'm lactose intolerant. I only eat french fries like once a week now (maybe twice if they're baked at home in the oven) whereas before I was eating fried fries with several meals a week.

I have given up laying on the couch all day since that means actual calorie restriction.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    101637744-640x639-0-0_Arizona+ARIZONA+SWEET+TEA+GALLONS+Arizona.jpg

pretty much all i drink now is water. boring. tasteless. water.

I use to drink this, except just the "green tea" flavor when I quit drinking soda. MFP helped me realize how much sugar was in these drinks, so I quit Arizona drinks shortly after joining here. I do drink a lot of water now, a lot! But now I'm drinking Diet Lipton green Tea or Raspberry. No calories, no sugar no nothing, except taste! It really has an awesome taste!!!!!!! Give it a try.:drinker:
  • lovelyladyJ21
    lovelyladyJ21 Posts: 246 Member
    I haven't really given up anything.
    We still order food but we only do it MAYBE 2x a month.
    I never really cared for soda or chocolate, and instead of buying Ice cream I make my own frozen yogurt so that I know what I'm putting in it.....

One thing I did give up is waisting my time for everyone else and not making time for me! Now I have my time and if anyone needs to talk to me; they can get their tennis shoes on and talk to me while we're working on. I dont' stop for anything! =)
  • Alcohol!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    comfort eating
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    I gave up feeling miserable about the way I look and feel! The only dietary change was discovering gluten intolerance, so actually have stopped eating wheat products; I thought it would kill me for the first two weeks, but once my body adjusted, it thanks me for it every day!
  • hayleymc3
    hayleymc3 Posts: 128 Member
    Soda, pork, most meats, dips and some sauces.
  • velmaisvelma
    velmaisvelma Posts: 90 Member
    Fast Food and Chocolate. While my cravings aren't as bad as they were 4 months ago, I do still miss McDonald's and Snickers on occasion!
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Crisps (Chips for all those in the US) and Dairy Milk chocolate - Funnily enough I don't miss them - I dont miss the 80lbs so far either lol