Please tell me my mom is wrong!

Options

Replies

• manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    She is wrong. I am 34yrs old, have a 2yo child and am 130lbs. In my early 20's I was around 180lbs. When I was 18yo I was around 130lbs. She's just saying to justify he rown weight gain.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I'm 39 and I'm now wearing the size I wore when I was in college. I ballooned up and with the help of my friends on MFP I'm working my way back down.

Not only did I go back to my college size but within the next 6 months I'll be in my HIGH SCHOOL size.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Your mom is wrong. I'm in my mid thirties. I have two kids. I am the same size I was in college.

I think sometimes our moms think they are trying to help us, when really they are just "hurt people" themselves and putting their issues onto us. The sooner we can break free from that and stand on our own two feet and learn for ourselves the better. We can have a better relationship with our moms sometimes, when we don't look to them for support or advice (but all moms are different, and I hope my children will feel supported by me).
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I was fairly fit and not overweight in college, but I am definitely more fit now and just as small or smaller. And I am 42. So, yes, your mother is wrong!!!!! I weigh a little more now, but have more muscle.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    Yep. Even though I was a fat teenager I'm smaller than I was in my final year of highschool. It may only be by 2kg but I'm still lighter and steadily getting smaller.

She may be confused with the way your body reacts to food and exercise or the general shape and skin elasticity.

But as a general 'you can't be thin like you were' is wrong.
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    She's a test. Let her bring you down and you've failed the test. She's telling you what she tells herself to make it ok for her to be the way she is. This coming from a girl who at 20 pounds from goal after having weighed 290, is two sizes SMALLER than I was at 19. Yes, my belly is scarred from childbirth, but I am told I look like I'm 23 now when I walk around in jeggings, so she can suck it my sexy lady!
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Ok,t I am 5'8" and most of my life I have been between sizes 9-11. After I turned 40, yes 40 way older than you, I started MFP and I lost down to a 7/8 and can even fit some 5/6 and I have never been this small in my life!! So she is wrong, now you prove her wrong!!! Good luck!!
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Well..... I was over 300lbs in college and I am not anymore so....your mom is wrong.
  • CDeRuyter
    CDeRuyter Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    She is wrong. The only thing that stops you reaching ANY goal is you.

...Oh yeah, menopause can throw in a few monkey wrenches. Makes things HARDER but NOT impossible. Your body does change with age and experience, but it can be for the better.

...An experienced, older, fighting her *kitten* of against Mother Nature, mom.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I was a size 8-10 while in college.. Im a size 5 now... Im sorry but your mom is wrong.
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You just need to ignore comments like that. I am 52 and have been overweight for a number of years. I was under 130 until I had my daughter 20 years ago, but my goal weight is 140 and I am closing in to 160 right now. And I am fitting in size 12 jeans, so I really don't think your mom's comments are 100% accurate. No, I don't look like a super model (I obviously have fat deposits in areas I wish I did not) but they are not so ugly I feel I need to cover up any more.... And if I can get in this size, you most certainly should be able to! :)
  • kel665
    kel665 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I think she is wrong, I think you can do it. I am 47 and my friends are saying, oh your body changes when you're older, you've had 3 kids, your body will never be the same etc etc. I know they are just trying to be nice because it's hard to lose weight but I am determined to lose it and looking through the success stories on here I know now that I can! There are people on here that are older and have had more kids than me, I have injuries that restrict my exercise but other people on my have worse problems and they can do it. I know I can and you can too. Don't throw those jeans away, you'll get back into them! :)
  • DankiStar
    Options
    Totally disagree. I am 24 and WILL get back to the size I was when I was 17. I have seen friends who have done it, it can be done. Just look at what has changed (booze? having money to buy crappy food? etc). I obviously didn't drink (much) at 17, but started piling the weight on when I binged throughout being 18+. So I've cut down to a glass or two a week...
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for the negative mom talk :(

But she's not correct. I weigh less than I did in law school, and all the clothes I saved from that time period are too big. I'm about your height, and I'm an 8/10. 10 years ago I was a 10/12, sometimes 14.

My body certainly isn't what it was then - it's better :)
  • mikkimomof3
    mikkimomof3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    She is absolutely wrong! I was a size 16/18 in my early high school years, a size 14 by the time I was out of college, and now (after three kids mind you) I am a size 6/8...I was over 200 lbs at one point in college---now I am around 140, and proud of it! :)
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Your mom was right AND wrong.

Your body shape can, in fact, change as you get older (hips fill out, for example, especially if you have a child).

That being said, she was wrong in saying that you would never be the size you were in high school or college.

I'm a tall girl - 5'10" - and all through high school was a relatively healthy 165-180 lbs. I wore a 12 or 14.

I had a child, gained a ton of weight, and then shed a ton of weight. At my lightest - 155(ish) pounds - I was wearing a comfortable Size 6 pants (fitting into an awesome pair of Size 6 Calvin Kleins was a wonderful experience for me). Even now, after I've gained some weight back (just under 175 pounds right now, working my way back - slowly - to around 160-165), I am comfortable in a Size 8 in most pants.

The difference?

I exercise. I do strength training. I have a lower BF% than I did when I was this weight in high school and, with that, smaller measurements that allow me to fit into smaller clothes.

So -- don't give up hope. You *can* fit into your goal size again. You may weigh more (or less) than you did the last time you fit into that size - it has more to do with body composition than just a number on the scale.
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm so thankful for everyone's kindness and support. So many of you have such amazing successes to share and I'm now more motivated than ever. I'll come back to this next time I hit a bump in the road with Mom. :)
  • musclemama2
    Options
    That is terrible to say to you and wrong. Prove it to her. :)
  • LesleyGillan
    Options
    Mums can and do say the most hurtful things, mine does but I try not to let it get to me as I don't think she realizes how nasty it sounds, maybe your Mum actually thinks she is helping? If you lower your expectations, you won't be dissappointed kind of thing maybe?

Either way if you need a cheer squad there are plenty of us on a similar journey :drinker: CHEERS to you for making the choice to get healthy and looking forward to seeing some great success posts in the future!!
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am smaller now than I was in high school. Your mom is wrong and probably jealous of your motivation. Women love to naysay other women who are trying to lose weight/be fit and healthy in general.