Please tell me my mom is wrong!

Options

Replies

• Cherbear67
    Cherbear67 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Your mom is way off base.. I am 45 going to be 46 in March and I have Jean's that I wore in my 20's.. All different sizes.. Name brand Jeans.. People told me I was nuts for keeping them as I would never ever get into them again.. Well guess what.. I proved them all wrong and now get compliments when I wear those old Jeans...
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Your mom is definitely wrong. After being obese pretty much all my adult life, I'm now (at age 35) the same size I was at 18. I'm actually a lot fitter than I was then though.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I am now lighter than I was at 10 years old.

Believe me, 'old' weights are absolutely achievable!
  • Notyourrevolution
    Notyourrevolution Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure my mom is smaller now than she was at 20 - healthy eating and daily exercise work! Hopefully I can get there soon too :) It's true what other people have said about the motivation too. Just think of your mom (and your desire to prove her wrong) any time you're contemplating an unhealthy snack, or skipping a workout. If you're in medical school it sounds like you're good at working towards a goal. This is one you'll meet and exceed eventually, I'm sure.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    This is interesting because I have a similar "mom" comment...and can relate.

When I graduated high school I was 5'10" and 168 pounds. When I finally decided to lose weight I was 268 and set my goal at 168.

When I explained to my mom that my goal was 168 just because I want to lose a whole 100 pounds, and that's what I weighed when I graduated high school....she said its rediculous because no one can expect to weigh what they did at 18.

I understand that she doesn't want me to set my goal at an unreachable place, but I also think SHE can't weigh what she did in high school... (115!) so she said it without any intentional discouragement intended.

I definitely can weigh 168 again...and now I'm only 5'9"...so it's a healthy weight for me. :)

Maybe your mom didn't mean to be mean...maybe it was meant more to make you feel ok where you are...that's just a mom thing.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    As a mother of five 26-16 year old's with the title of your post I was thinking I was going to tell you that she is right but no she is wrong. You can be that size again it just takes work. You are a hard working student and your mother should be proud. She probably does not want to be discouraging to you and get your hopes up in case you fail and is making excuses for why she has gained weight herself.
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Ummm completely wrong, you can transform your body into whatever you want. It just takes determination, calorie counting, and exercise, oh and mfp. I'm almost back to my high school weight, so don't listen to her!!
  • hismrs021511
    Options
    I also disagree. I'm 23, about to turn 24. I had just given birth to my last child and was over 200 lbs. In 7 months, I lost 70 lbs and was 134 lbs. I hadn't been that size since high school. A lot of people do it, including women "over the hill". As long as you put in the work, it will show.

By the way, after I lost my weight and felt great (I'm 5'3 by the way so that was a healthy range and BMI for me) my mother and my cousin (who are overweight theirselves) told me that I looked like a crack head. My response? well I guess I looked like a crackhead in high school as well. lol.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    You're mum is wrong, wrong, wrong!

While I weigh a little more now than I did in school; at 40 my measurements at my waist, hips are only 1 inch away from what they were in my school days. Admitedly I have never really had much to lose, but there have been times were I have slacked off, gotten soft in the middle.

All you have to do is look at some of the success stories on this site to know that it is possible if you want it and work for it.

Don't be put off.
  • frefrebelle
    frefrebelle Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wrong! I know this because my horrendously slender and perfect looking mum is the same size as she always has been, 110 pounds - barring a couple if years at the height of her dancing career when she was thinner.

Trying living up to that, ho hum...
  • frefrebelle
    frefrebelle Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ps I am now also thinner than I was during my college days, so double wrong :)
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Your Mom is RIGHT. "We" can't be the same size we were in college -- because everyone has got to do for themselves (it's not a 'we' thing). You, on the other hand, can do and be whatever you want if you are willing to do the work.

But no, you can't reduce or increase your size unless something changes. Change requires change. Inertia and complancy does not, in the majority of cases, result in fitness. So 'we can't' - but YOU can.
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I now weigh less than I did in college...and that was 25 years ago :)
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Yep. Your mom is wrong! Is she overweight herself? If yes, she may be identifying her inability to reduce the weight with your current weight. I wouldn't worry about a pair of jeans - splurge and buy yourself some high end jeans that look fantastic once you drop the weight. You'll have an excuse to shop for something fashionable.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Your mom is completely wrong. I'm 6 years out of college & also have 2 kids (twins) under my belt.....and I'm still smaller now than I was in my college days. Your body goes through changes, yes, I agree with that, but those changes don't mean you have to or will be overweight forever. The shape of my body changed, but I work with it, and now I look better than I did then : )

Keep pushing hard and you know what....you won't be able to wear those old pants...they'll be too big :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    SHES WRONG

I gained 100 pounds since I was 21. I am 5'10/165 pounds. I am probably about 15 pounds heavier than I was when I turned 20- but Im about 2 sizes smaller.

you and me - same stats - im 165 and a size 8. It took me 3 years of going as slow as possible.

You got this.

Dont argue it with her - she may just be trying to help you out to avoid you being disappointed - but you should show her that you can do it.

Show her in a happy positive isnt this awesome way - not in a OH YEAH WHAT NOW BEEYOTCH kind of way :huh:
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    She is wrong.

Fight on!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think that you can certainly, at your height, be 165 pounds again. It's not like that's abnormally tiny.

She is definitely wrong.

I wanted to add that your body shape may be different at that weight so you may or may not be able to wear the jeans again simply because of that. You'll know when you get there!
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    yeah she's wrong, my wife still fits into the same jeans she wore in high school. she's 31
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    You can definitely get back to college weight! I'm living proof! I'm 34 (so I've been out of college for a while now) and currently weigh what I weighed in undergrad. Use it as motivation and don't give up! You can do it:)