Please tell me my mom is wrong!

Options

Replies

• JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I know i wont be a size 4 like in highschool, but i i want to be skinnier than i am! Thats what i told my mom.

I do want to know if my pant size will be similar after having children. (since your hips are all weird, etc). For example if at 125 i wore a size 7 and then had children, if i get back down to 125 if ill be a size 7 again?
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    In this case. mom is wrong.
    It's the same excuse my wife uses all the time... "I'll never get back to that size after having kids, so why try...blah,blah,blah".
    Bullsh!t
  • wizbeth1218
    wizbeth1218 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    "Honey, we can't all be the same size as we were in college. Your body has changed."

Nothing against your mom... I'm sure she's a lovely person. But I think she was telling you what she tells herself to feel better. It sounds like she is not the size she was in college. Maybe she tried to get that size and couldn't. Maybe she never tried because her mom told her the same thing that she passed on to you. Who knows.

At any rate, barring any weird medical procedures where you have had extra limbs surgically attached, there is no reason why you can't weigh what you once weighed and be the size you once were. As you age and your metabolism changes it may be more difficult to get there, but that doesn't mean you can't do it.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Mom is wayyy wrong. Has she let herself go...is this her excuse? You are a young woman, capable of having a long happy FIT AND HEALTHY life. Prove Mom wrong!!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    If you can figure that one out, you'd be rich for the rest of your life because you'd be a gazillionaire!!!

My dad has long said something close to what Lincoln said, "Best to close the mouth and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt."

Don't let the fools derail you or your sister!!!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Wrong. I got to my highest weight when I was about 44 years old. I was wearing size 12 but really tight, needing a 14. I lost 30 pounds and went into size 8. I hadn't been in a size 8 since I was about 27 years old. Then prior to joining MFP I was busting out of the 8's and now they are loose. I might be a size 6 before I am done, and I never wore a size 6 in my adult life. So, age has nothing to do with it. You can lose weight before college, after college or even after menopause (although it is a little harder then).
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    If you told me your goal weight was 105 (at your height) I might suggest you take a reality check. But your goal weight is entirely reasonable and not at all a "stretch". Don't give up the pants. And stay here on MFP. Log everything. Drink tons of water, and start moving! :) When mom says dumb stuff like that (I'm a mom to an almost 24 year old) just nod your head politely and ignore it.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    Moofey?
  • sahm23ladies
    sahm23ladies Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Mom's don't always know how to hold their tongues. Perhaps she's speaking from her own experience. I would take it with a grain of salt. And tell mom, I'm smaller now than I was in high school & I'm 40. lol
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Yes, your mom is definitely wrong!

I'm smaller than I was in high school. I weigh more than I did in college, but my clothes all still fit comfortably because I gained muscle. Believe it or not, I have a pair of pants from grade 6 that still fit me (they're just a bit short) !
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    just wanted to say that my mom started out like that too, until i got into a size 10 (um i was 10 last time that read on a label!) that's when she started to realize that HER mom had been wrong! she is now down almost 100 lbs and using me as her motivation! sometimes i think the 'weird/hurtful/stupid' things our moms say is more tradition and their own self image issues than any actual truth or meaningful hurt. show her that she's right in one way, get into an 8 then smile and say 'yep you were right, our bodies do change!' and just keep up the great work!!
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I do believe that your mum is wrong BUT I don't believe she was being unkind, maybe she said it to actually make you feel better and more positive, so that you could just get on and enjoy life and not get obsessed about losing weight......just a thought xxx
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    She's probably wrong...but might be a little right. I'm actually smaller now than I was in college but had I not been overweight in high school/college, I probably would not be able to be smaller than that. My hips are definitely wider than they were in college so no matter how thin I get, I'll be limited by my hips.

Not that this is a scientific and reputable source, but this is what I'm talking about: http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/1333-hip-bones-widen-with-age.html

But for your purposes, I think her remark was pretty rude and discouraging. I hope you have plenty of supportive people in your life to make up for such comments!
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Your mom is wrong. My mom told me at the start "whatever you do, DO NOT LIFT WEIGHTS! It only makes you bigger than you already are." That went in one ear and out the other, of course I lift, and lift heavy. She recently said to me "I can't beleive you accomplished this (my weight loss and better shape) by EXERCISE or lifting weights..." As if I was lying about what I do...

Just SHOW your mom with your results, that it IS POSSIBLE.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    She's very WRONG!

I'm actually smaller than I was in high school/college and in much better shape.
    I found some college jeans cleaning this weekend and they fit me great and they were skin-tight back then.

Don't let her discourage you. This whole thing takes time but it's so worth it. I feel better now than when I played college softball nearly 10 years ago. I have large frame so I am kinda limited on dropping too many more sizes but I'm fine with that.

Just remember getting healthy it what it's all about.

You got this!! One day at a time. :happy:
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    thats bull****..I'm four sizes smaller than I was in college, and a good 2 sizes smaller than I have ever been. You can do whatever you set your mind to doing.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Your mother is clearly wrong--yes, your body does change in your teens (and sometimes early 20s), but it's not going to magically morph so that what was once a reasonable, healthy weight, is suddenly an unhealthy weight (holding height constant). If 165 (or 190) was in your healthy weight range in college, it is more than likely still in your health weight range, and therefore not a completely unrealistic goal.

As for mothers, I find it is best just to tune mine out. I'm roughly 155 right now. When I was 155 five years ago my mother told me that I was too thin (I had been obese my whole adult life, this was the first time she had seen me at a somewhat normal weight). Five years later I am much more physically fit, and my mother has told me that I need to lose weight. I don't know what her issue is, or your mother's issue is, but clearly, they're not reflecting reality.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Just hang onto those pants and prove her wrong.

Also worth mentioning she is WRONG WRONG WRONG. I'm smaller now than when I was in college AND high school. And the most I ever weighed in those eight years was 140-145 lbs and I'm 5'4". Sitting easily at 130lbs right now, but I wear smaller sizes thanks to weight lifting and lean muscle. Before I started adding muscle I even got down to 124lbs (which I hadn't weighed since probably around the third grade!)
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    she's wrong. i'm wearing one of my smallest pants from high school right now. I gained about 50 lbs between high school and about a year ago (gained, lost, gained more, lost more, gained even more. now losing it for good). I'm back down to what i weighed in high school.

You CAN do it!
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    your mom is definitely wrong. im 27 now and only about 20 lbs heavier than i was in high school. and i still wear the same size clothes, in fact i probably had the shirt im wearing now when i was a junior