Ridiculous serving sizes

Options
I don't know if you're like me and get excited when you see something you like to eat and at first glance it looks surprisingly low in calories. Only to later have your bubble busted when you look at the serving size and it' says "2 pieces".

This just happened to me with granola. I'm thinking healthy granola, I can eat a good portion of this. Well serving size was 1/4 of a cup. Who eats a 1/4 cup of granola? Those tricky granola *kitten*.
I don't know about you but I get really frustrated with serving sizes and think they should be labeled differently. I thought we could post some ridiculous/tricky serving sizes you guys have noticed. Maybe you have seen something others haven't and should be careful with.

Replies

• NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you're like me and get excited when you see something you like to eat and at first glance it looks surprisingly low in calories. Only to later have your bubble busted when you look at the serving size and it' says "2 pieces".

This just happened to me with granola. I'm thinking healthy granola, I can eat a good portion of this. Well serving size was 1/4 of a cup. Who eats a 1/4 cup of granola? Those tricky granola *kitten*.
    I don't know about you but I get really frustrated with serving sizes and think they should be labeled differently. I thought we could post some ridiculous/tricky serving sizes you guys have noticed. Maybe you have seen something others haven't and should be careful with.

take a quarter cup and mix with various dried fruits as a snack.
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    " tricky granola *kitten* " LOL

The serving *kitten* are everywhere!! We all must be on the look out!!
  • valligator
    valligator Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    "tricky granola *kitten*" - that's hilarious.

I'm with you - I only use granola to mix into yogurt.
  • mwalker73
    Options
    I recently found a salad dressing from a local shop that was wonderful and surprisingly low in cal/fat. It wasn't until I purchased a new bottle and saw that the numbers had more than doubled and asked the owner what changed.

"Nothing changed, we just had to follow FDA nutrition labels and changed the serving size to 2 TBS."

I went home and looked at my old bottle in the fridge and sure enough, they had their serving size as 1/2 TBS. Seriously WTH!

My fault for not looking closer :(
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    6d1fd1674b690326_100-calories-of-veggies.jpg

candy21.jpg
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    The Microwave soup bowls. Obviously meant to serve 1, and since the container can only be used 1x should be a single serving, but no...it's usually 2! So have to double calories.
  • jefedesalto
    jefedesalto Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    "tricky granola *kitten*" - that's hilarious.

I'm with you - I only use granola to mix into yogurt.

Yeah, It helps some. My favorite yogurt trick is to mix it with non fat cottage cheese. My protein intake is ridiculously high so I need all the high protein snacks I can get. Unfortunately high protein low fat is tricky sometimes. Egg whites, chicken, and tuna are my staples.
  • jefedesalto
    Options

candy21.jpg
    This is awesome, thanks.
  • jnh768
    jnh768 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The Microwave soup bowls. Obviously meant to serve 1, and since the container can only be used 1x should be a single serving, but no...it's usually 2! So have to double calories.

Agreed....I was just complaining about this last week..... :)
  • Kejlina
    Kejlina Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of eating a "serving" of prunes once.

7 prunes is not a serving.

7 prunes is a cruel practical joke from the people at the prune factory.
  • jefedesalto
    Options

lol @ cruel practical joke. More power to you for putting prunes in your mouth. I can't do it.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

I don't get it. Do you want more or LESS. Prunes Yarrrggg...
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I hate this, who eats half a bag of M&M's and why package Pop Tarts in twos?
  • painthoss
    painthoss Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My husband and I each chose a snack for a trip. He had a bag of chips, I had a bag of popcorn. He smugly pointed out that the calories and fat were essentially the same for each of our selections, per the labels. I smugly pointed out that HIS portion was 12 chips, maybe 1/8 of the bag, and he is gonna eat the entire bag. MY serving was half the bag, WAY more than I could even eat.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    This is the image I was looking for. It puts 100 calories into perspective.

Snack_choices.jpg
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I bought a bottle of Jose Cuervo Light Margarita for a weekend of drinking at camp because it has 90 calories (or something like that) per serving. Turns out a serving is 4 ounces! Who drinks 4 ounces of a margarita?!
  • Drea_ann
    Drea_ann Posts: 65 Member
    Options

I tried covering a prune in frosting once, figuring everything in frosting is better. This is not true.

I repeat DO NOT PUT FROSTING ON PRUNES, i had a disgusting upchuck of a result.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

Actually, I was pleasantly surprised when I physically measured out a 1/4 cup of granola. It's perfect for a cup of yogurt and fruit.
  • Drea_ann
    Drea_ann Posts: 65 Member
    Options

candy21.jpg

This is awesome!

But completely sucks at the same time...
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    278167714453961948_e0vhGMGY_f.jpg