Ridiculous serving sizes

Options

Replies

• barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You forgot to show the hand signal for a serving size of ice cream. It equals 1/5 of a fist....the middle fifth.

Barb
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The worst one of my pet peeves is a can of soup 70 cals for 125 ml but there's 284 ml in a can. Ummm! you'd think they could tell us how many cals are in a half a can instead, or put 250 in the flippin' can. Wonder how many extra cals we burn trying to figure out the proper measurements! :tongue: And I also know a lot of people who think that 70 cals is for the whole thing! NOT!:frown:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Here's one for you.

1/4 cup of steel cut oats has the same nutritional value as 1/2 cup of rolled oats.

It's like oatception.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    How about those fruit popsicles? I used to have a coconut flavored one for 100 calories, until I realized it was two servings per popsicle! Who eats a pospsicle in two servings! Ridonkulous

HOW do you eat a Popsicle in two servings??
  • rinnismom
    Options
    6d1fd1674b690326_100-calories-of-veggies.jpg

candy21.jpg
    [/quote

well, from the looks of this picture, i'll have the reeses peices. :)
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    6d1fd1674b690326_100-calories-of-veggies.jpg

candy21.jpg

I like this a lot! Thank you!
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    POP TARTS!!!! OMG

Ok so I was CRAVING poptarts not too long ago, look at the box in the store and it says something like 230 calories. I thought it was per package, IT WAS PER TART. I have a lot of calorie allowance so I figured I would have 2 packages for breakfast (which would have normally fit into breakfast calories although sugars would be over) and when I went to log it I realized it was per pastery.

They for sure need to package them better or be more specific.

From that day on, I have cut out poptarts completely.

:laugh:
    I'll never give up poptarts.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    It bothers me when something has low calories and I need to eat a ridiculous amount of it to get a proper amount of calories. When you need to eat in the neighborhood of 3k a day vs. the 1200 a lot of you are trying to stay under, things change.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I just recently started liking Chinese food, so I looked up the calories after I ate, to fill this out. OMG!!! I was in shock how bad it is for you. I mean you don't see a lot of fat Chinese people.

It's not "bad for you," just the portions are too big is all.
    Let's not kid ourselves, what you're getting in American Chinese restaurants is not necessarily what people in China are eating either...

^^^ This is also true! I know that I do *NOT* what what they are eating in China. I saw a show on that once. Just eww! :laugh:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of eating a "serving" of prunes once.

7 prunes is not a serving.

7 prunes is a cruel practical joke from the people at the prune factory.

I love prunes and could eat a boat load of them...............I would definitely get the exercise in from running to the toilet, LOL
  • bsalvato
    bsalvato Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I bought a bottle of Jose Cuervo Light Margarita for a weekend of drinking at camp because it has 90 calories (or something like that) per serving. Turns out a serving is 4 ounces! Who drinks 4 ounces of a margarita?!

I bought that one time and it's actually quite nasty. I'd rather just have a rum and diet coke and forego most of that sugar
  • RainxPain
    Options
    bump
  • willwillywilson
    Options
    I don't really eat that way anymore but the new 100 calorie pack foods are the worst about this sort of thing. I remember buying some 100 calorie brownies once only to be disappointed that they were tiny, maybe the the width of two quarters at the most and super thin.
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Yea, they need to do something about that. Oh, and your post was hilarious. lol
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    278167714453961948_e0vhGMGY_f.jpg

That's great! I measure EVERYTHING but this is a good tip when out and about x
  • whitelaurel
    whitelaurel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    XD "tricky granola *kitten*" is going down in history.

personally, I know it's crap for you anyway, but I hate how there's two servings of Ramen in a single bag. A single serving is "half a block." I found mini bags of ramen once that were wonderful! :D 200 empty, salty, lazy-college-student calories can be somewhat forgiven, imo, but at 400 calories, I feel like I should find a more wholesome meal. ;D

also cans of soup--progresso, campbell, whatever. it is a CAN of SOUP. luckily, if you get the heart healthy and light sodium ones, it's not bad at all to eat the whole can of 2 or 2.5 servings, but if you get just a regular old can of it, it's about your daily allotment of sodium on top of 400~600 calories for a measly little bowl. ;D

packaged foods are ALL tricky *kitten*. :) it would probably be best to avoid them altogether but I can only manage that part of the time, when I'm not being slammed on all sides by life.
  • erinnstreeter
    erinnstreeter Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Giant AMEN. I got duped by a frozen food item recently - and like someone else said, who the hell eats HALF a frozen meal? Here's the kicker: half a serving was 250 calories. That's 500 CALORIES for a frozen meal. Come ON!! I'm not blowing that many calories on maybe a cup and a half of food, that's pointless. I could have an epic salad for at least a third fewer calories.

Whew. Thank you for letting me get that off my chest, it's been bugging me.

Also, I'm returning the rest of the box of frozen dinners (it was a Costco purchase) in protest.
  • GetDemGainz
    Options
    I'm with you, CANNOT eat a 1/4 cup of granola so I don't at all. Peanut anything junkie anyway :)
  • jefedesalto
    jefedesalto Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I just recently started liking Chinese food, so I looked up the calories after I ate, to fill this out. OMG!!! I was in shock how bad it is for you. I mean you don't see a lot of fat Chinese people.

It's not "bad for you," just the portions are too big is all.
    Let's not kid ourselves, what you're getting in American Chinese restaurants is not necessarily what people in China are eating either...

^^^ This is also true! I know that I do *NOT* what what they are eating in China. I saw a show on that once. Just eww! :laugh:

HAHA @ the skinny Chinese people... Oh you just know those guys aren't giving us round eyes the same stuff they eat.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options

The Chinese don't eat what the takeaway serves! X