Ridiculous serving sizes

Options

Replies

• sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of eating a "serving" of prunes once.

7 prunes is not a serving.

7 prunes is a cruel practical joke from the people at the prune factory.

I tried covering a prune in frosting once, figuring everything in frosting is better. This is not true.

I repeat DO NOT PUT FROSTING ON PRUNES, i had a disgusting upchuck of a result.

Bwahahahahhaa. Funniest post ever!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    BJ's used to (not sure if they still do) label their blueberry muffin serving size as 1/3 muffin for 120 cals.

I could go along with listing 1/2 muffin (180 cal.) as the serving size, but I don't know anyone who cuts a muffin into thirds. Grrr!!!
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I too have fallen prey to the granola trick.

And, I can't think of any recent serving accidents I've had. I've gotten used to paying attention to it now and I eat much less packaged foods now.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean re portion sizes. I think it's actually dodgy behaviour by manufacturers and something needs to be done about it. Otherwise, you can have BigKingMoFoQuadCheeseBurgerVOMIT ONLY 50 CALORIES.

Per child's bite.
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    What gets me is when I compare supposedly healthy alternatives to eating snacks like potato and tortilla chips. I'll find stuff that's devoid of taste yet has almost the same amount of calories by weight. Sure, they may technically be healthier (more nutritious), but what they won't help you do is lose weight. I make my own soups by the gallon, and eat a lot more fruit and vegetables than I used to in order to give me nutrition with fewer calories. Other than that, I've learned to just eat less of what I normally eat. Screw all those expensive (and high calorie) health foods.
  • Lisa071572
    Lisa071572 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just recently started liking Chinese food, so I looked up the calories after I ate, to fill this out. OMG!!! I was in shock how bad it is for you. I mean you don't see a lot of fat Chinese people.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've eaten 1/4 cup of granola! :laugh:

For things like granola or nuts, 1/4 is a handful for me, so it's easy if I'm not at home.
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The one that annoyed me the most was Amy's frozen entrée. Two Enchiladas come inside a little pan for you to heat up and eat, but the serving size is 1. Who eats half of a frozen dinner?

http://www.amys.com/products/product-detail/entrees/000081

Also, T1mH you are my hero.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I just recently started liking Chinese food, so I looked up the calories after I ate, to fill this out. OMG!!! I was in shock how bad it is for you. I mean you don't see a lot of fat Chinese people.

It's not "bad for you," just the portions are too big is all.
  • loopingcaterpillar
    loopingcaterpillar Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    chocolate bars that are all 4 squares =
    just tell me the truth! i can handle the truth!!!!
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    278167714453961948_e0vhGMGY_f.jpg

THANK YOU for this one. I've been trying to find a good hand comparison chart for a while.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Ben & Jerrys pisses me off so bad. 1 pint is 4 servings. My *kitten*. No one eats 1 serving. You gotta eat the pint. You just have to.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm still thinking about those tricky granola *kitten*.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Crystal Light: One "on the go" packet is 2 servings. WTF! Who uses just half of a packet? and what am I supposed to do with the other half once the packet is open? Of course I'm going to use the whole thing. Nevermind, that bottled water is usually 16+ ounces, not 8. Luckily, the WHOLE packet is only 10 calories. Not worth complaining about I suppose, but still STUPID.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I was at the grocery store on Saturday and saw a box with a 5oz. salmon filet in it. The serving size on the back of the box said 4oz. What moron decided that you should cut off a single ounce from the rest? And then what do you do with it? It isn't enough for a meal later, so you eat it anyway.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

It's not "bad for you," just the portions are too big is all.
    Let's not kid ourselves, what you're getting in American Chinese restaurants is not necessarily what people in China are eating either...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    When the serving size is ridiculously low the first thing I do is check the ingredients for hydrogenated oil. Often manufacturers make the serving size small enough that they can legally put trans fat = 0 on the label.
  • laura_lynn66
    Options
    I don't know if you're like me and get excited when you see something you like to eat and at first glance it looks surprisingly low in calories. Only to later have your bubble busted when you look at the serving size and it' says "2 pieces".

This just happened to me with granola. I'm thinking healthy granola, I can eat a good portion of this. Well serving size was 1/4 of a cup. Who eats a 1/4 cup of granola? Those tricky granola *kitten*.
    I don't know about you but I get really frustrated with serving sizes and think they should be labeled differently. I thought we could post some ridiculous/tricky serving sizes you guys have noticed. Maybe you have seen something others haven't and should be careful with.

How about those fruit popsicles? I used to have a coconut flavored one for 100 calories, until I realized it was two servings per popsicle! Who eats a pospsicle in two servings! Ridonkulous
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    POP TARTS!!!! OMG

Ok so I was CRAVING poptarts not too long ago, look at the box in the store and it says something like 230 calories. I thought it was per package, IT WAS PER TART. I have a lot of calorie allowance so I figured I would have 2 packages for breakfast (which would have normally fit into breakfast calories although sugars would be over) and when I went to log it I realized it was per pastery.

They for sure need to package them better or be more specific.

From that day on, I have cut out poptarts completely.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    278167714453961948_e0vhGMGY_f.jpg

THANK YOU for this one. I've been trying to find a good hand comparison chart for a while.

But I have SMALL hands.