Ridiculous serving sizes

Options

Replies

• ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    YES! Have you seen soup commercials? They'll say 90 calories/serving, and 1 can of soup can be 2-4 servings (not to mention the sodium content/serving). Even 200+ calories for 1 bowl of soup is too much for me!
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have a problem with rye bread or other similarly shaped loaves where calorie content is provided per slice? Which slice, I always wonder, the end slices that are maybe 3 square inches or the centre slices that are 20 square inches? Is it an average slice? That would provide some interesting mathematics....measuring all of them, totalling the combined area, dividing by the number of slices...and what if part of the loaf had already been eaten? I am not as young as I once was. Maybe I am losing my mental faculties but this is just too much for me.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    If I knew what "Granola" was I'd respond. Oh?
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Ranch dressing and peanut butter :(
    Luckily i found pb2 and fat free ranch though
  • goofyblonde
    goofyblonde Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Popcorn spray and seasoning... I don't care through still use it. Love the stuff! X
    This stuff makes me laugh! I buy the Kernel Sensations brand spray, and the serving size is a 1 second spray! Really?
  • nahiluoh
    nahiluoh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just recently started liking Chinese food, so I looked up the calories after I ate, to fill this out. OMG!!! I was in shock how bad it is for you. I mean you don't see a lot of fat Chinese people.

I'm sure someone else also said this but most Chinese people don't regularly eat the type of Chinese food most of us buy! Homemade is very different!
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I was gifted some Fairytale brownie. They are kind of tasty, but each (small) individually wrapped brownie is 2 servings! WTF?? I have cut each brownie in fours and have just one of those pieces on the days I eat some.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Crystal Light: One "on the go" packet is 2 servings. WTF! Who uses just half of a packet? and what am I supposed to do with the other half once the packet is open? Of course I'm going to use the whole thing. Nevermind, that bottled water is usually 16+ ounces, not 8. Luckily, the WHOLE packet is only 10 calories. Not worth complaining about I suppose, but still STUPID.

Tha'ts funny!
    .. Well, I just put one packet into twice as much water... so in essence, I drink half a packet lol

But wouldn't that still be a whole packet? just with a lot more water? are you drinking it all at once? and wow, that's a big bottle of water to have to carry around. Hello, bathroom!
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I just recently started liking Chinese food, so I looked up the calories after I ate, to fill this out. OMG!!! I was in shock how bad it is for you. I mean you don't see a lot of fat Chinese people.

It's not "bad for you," just the portions are too big is all.

Actually- much of it is really bad for you. Some of their most popular items are deep fried. Look up the calories on Panda Express items- Bejing beef is 560 calories (5.4 oz) vs.. Broccoli Beef 150 calories (5.4 oz- its almost all broccoli anyway) and Pepper chicken 200 calories (6 oz serving).

* Side note- no one trying to lose weight should be going to any buffet- especially chinese food
  • msshiraz
    Options

It's not "bad for you," just the portions are too big is all.

Actually- much of it is really bad for you. Some of their most popular items are deep fried. Look up the calories on Panda Express items- Bejing beef is 560 calories (5.4 oz) vs.. Broccoli Beef 150 calories (5.4 oz- its almost all broccoli anyway) and Pepper chicken 200 calories (6 oz serving).

* Side note- no one trying to lose weight should be going to any buffet- especially chinese food

Eek- sweet and sour chicken (my kids favorite) is 380 calories- for 2 oz!!!

Best bet if you love chinese food, do it yourself, make your own stirfry, get lean meats, tons of veggies, brown rice, and watch the sauces (most are so loaded with sodium its horrible).
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    The worst I've seen is Campbell's Chunky soup. (I've since noticed this trend a lot, but this was the first place I noticed it.) The soup in question said that a serving was 190 calories and that the can contained "about 2 servings". That would make you think it was 380 calories for the can, right? Wrong. After looking at the grams per serving and the grams contained in the can, it turns out that the can contained 2.2 servings, or 418 calories. That's almost a 40 calorie difference! After looking, it turns out this is a very common practice to make soups, etc. look healthier than they are.

OH YEAH! Also I love the "ABOUT" 2 servings... lol what does this mean? give or take a serving?-

I learned when they say ABOUT it is actually over the majority of the time, when most people would think it is a little less than 2. Most things I have measured that say this are over the about "x" number. So ridiculous!
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
    I found that grain containing items have the most calories and are the least filling for me. I try hard to stay away from them on principal. Per the photo of 100 calories, I would rather have just a couple of those celery sticks and be full than the slice of bread, granola or rice and still be hungry.

I ate a pickle earlier. When I looked on the label it said calories = 0. YES!
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    6d1fd1674b690326_100-calories-of-veggies.jpg

candy21.jpg

Awesome! I try to avoid these in any event. My downfall is cheese and bakery! At least I'm on the right track now and that includes watching labels like crazy.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience the other day when I had a fair amount of calories left and some friends were going out for "fall treats". I got an Affy Tapple because it said 70 calories on the label... That's for a half an apple! How do you eat half a caramel apple???
  • msshiraz
    Options
    morale of the story- we're all learning why even understanding what to eat can be so hard!

Here is what I have learned about my own personal weight loss- avoid processed everything as best you can. Shop the outside of the grocery store- always have a list- and be prepared, at least eventually to make your own meals.
    Processed foods have so much garbage in them, even if its not just the calories, its packaged, it may be convenient but it doesn't make it healthy. Whole food, good food!!!!

Also once you can give up certain foods, trying to eat them later is awful- I can't touch canned soups anymore- the sodium is so high I can't taste anything. Same thing with greasy deep fried stuff- I used to love it- now if I have any, I get sooooo sick
  • jfrankovich
    jfrankovich Posts: 31 Member
    Options

candy21.jpg

Two Hershey's kisses are only 44 calories.
  • Snapper1985
    Snapper1985 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

candy21.jpg

Love me some spinach. Almost impossible to eat calories for the day when you throw spinach in there.
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Crystal Light: One "on the go" packet is 2 servings. WTF! Who uses just half of a packet? and what am I supposed to do with the other half once the packet is open? Of course I'm going to use the whole thing. Nevermind, that bottled water is usually 16+ ounces, not 8. Luckily, the WHOLE packet is only 10 calories. Not worth complaining about I suppose, but still STUPID.

LOL. But I'm one of the crazy ones that can use 1 packet in a 1L bottle and think that it is still almost too sweet. ;-)
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I started making my own granola for this reason.
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    the little bottles of chocolate milk that say "servings in container: 2" I'm sorry, I'm not sharing my chocolate milk so stop making it say it's 2 servings!