Ridiculous serving sizes

Options

Replies

• Rachielous
    Rachielous Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Go Ahead! Cereal bars - packaged in two's - portion for one.

Ainsley Harriet Cous Cous - Pack big enough for one. Portioned for two.
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    6d1fd1674b690326_100-calories-of-veggies.jpg

candy21.jpg

There is no way that bowl of mixed greens, or the bowl of baby spinach is 100 calories.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

McCain's International pizza has a serving size of 1/5th the pizza. How the hell do you cut 1/5th of a circle without turning it into Euclidean geometry?

I hate geometry, lol! This comment made me crack up.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Lol sooo true
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    6d1fd1674b690326_100-calories-of-veggies.jpg

candy21.jpg

There is no way that bowl of mixed greens, or the bowl of baby spinach is 100 calories.

I was thinking that. It's difficult to see the plate sizes, but I was thinking that I didn't know I could have all that corn, or even all that chocolate, instead of a few sticks of celery! But I'm maybe judging it wrong. Over the years I've got so used to thinking of things like lettuce and celery as having negligible calories that it's a shock to see that I could have something more substantial for the same amount.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    yeaaa in europe its by grams, much better! just got to measure it out :)
  • honeybee1036
    honeybee1036 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shorthand73
    shorthand73 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of eating a "serving" of prunes once.

7 prunes is not a serving.

7 prunes is a cruel practical joke from the people at the prune factory.

I tried covering a prune in frosting once, figuring everything in frosting is better. This is not true.

I repeat DO NOT PUT FROSTING ON PRUNES, i had a disgusting upchuck of a result.

Hahahaha! I literally spit out my coffee when I read this! Toooo funny! Thanks for a great start to my day! :laugh:
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I hate this, who eats half a bag of M&M's and why package Pop Tarts in twos?
    t

B/C people like this concept of "freedom," so companies do what's efficient and profitable to them only, they honestly don't care about us, and they shouldn't since we like to "choose"
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I see this all the time.

When I was fairly new to this, I bought a 'healthy' lasagne from Tesco - I love lasagne but I can't cook it to save my life, especially low calories versions, so I figured a micro one with some salad may take the edge off.

It was only after I'd eaten it that I realised it was two servings - the packet is the size of a childs meal. That meant my 'low calorie' lasagne was actually 900 cals!

I also think restaurants should be legally obligated to include the calorie count for every one of their dishes on the menu. It makes it so much easier when eating out.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    McCain's International pizza has a serving size of 1/5th the pizza. How the hell do you cut 1/5th of a circle without turning it into Euclidean geometry?

This is so funny!

Sometimes it's easier to work out the calories for the whole thing then divide it into what you want to have. A 1/4 would make more sense.

What I did was add up all the info for the entire pizza, then divided that by 6.
  • missmaex
    missmaex Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The packet of gummy lollies om currently eating - a serving size is 4 pieces (81 calories). Four tiny little pieces. And these are 'all natural' healthier ones.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    candy21.jpg

Is it just me... or does this look like heaven?
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Manufacturer serving size is bogus so I ignore it.

I'm only interested data listed as:
    'per 100 g'.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    278167714453961948_e0vhGMGY_f.jpg

neat!

I seriously just did all these hand movements at my desk
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    To the granola problem, learn to make your own, it is easy and you can practically double the serving sized for the same amt of calories plus control nutritional content.

Other stuff? Just learn to pay attention - weigh, measure etc. 1/2 cup of ice cream is still a nice sized dessert. ;)
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    To the granola problem, learn to make your own, it is easy and you can practically double the serving sized for the same amt of calories plus control nutritional content.

Other stuff? Just learn to pay attention - weigh, measure etc. 1/2 cup of ice cream is still a nice sized dessert. ;)

Yes, thank you. We were all looking for your advice...
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    ever see what a 1/2c of ice cream looks like?? now THATs not fair!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Laffinhippiegurl
    Laffinhippiegurl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • quiltingducky
    quiltingducky Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, that's why this site is so great. With the logging of the food, it makes us so much more aware of serving sizes. Eating using smaller plates helps with this though. Using actual serving sizes, the food usually fits the plate instead of using what my mind considers a serving size.

Yes, I am bummed that my ice cream serving size is only 1/2 a cup, but I just make sure I have enough calories left for 2 servings. I mix it with fresh strawberries and it really satisfies.