Ridiculous serving sizes

Options

Replies

• shrinkinginQualicum
    Options
    Ben & Jerrys pisses me off so bad. 1 pint is 4 servings. My *kitten*. No one eats 1 serving. You gotta eat the pint. You just have to.
    I may get shot here - but it really is possible: I actually have a hard time eating more than 1/4 pint of their ice creams. I think the most I ever managed was 1/2pt. That's why I like eating B&J - I want sooo much less than the regular ice creams.
    I hate you! I can only eat 1/2 a pint if I have to share it with my sweetheart.:sad:
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    The worst one of my pet peeves is a can of soup 70 cals for 125 ml but there's 284 ml in a can. Ummm! you'd think they could tell us how many cals are in a half a can instead, or put 250 in the flippin' can. Wonder how many extra cals we burn trying to figure out the proper measurements! :tongue: And I also know a lot of people who think that 70 cals is for the whole thing! NOT!:frown:

This is funny! Bumping for a laugh when I have more time to read them all. x
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    *bump* for future reference
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Ben & Jerrys pisses me off so bad. 1 pint is 4 servings. My *kitten*. No one eats 1 serving. You gotta eat the pint. You just have to.
    Yes and the servings are like 300 cals so to eat the whole pint you're looking at 1200 cals.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's been said or not but I bought a box of candy canes earlier and the serving size is 1/2 of a candy cane.

Seriously. Who does that??
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Oh and the Non-stick pan sprays...serving size is a 1/5 or 1/3 second spray for 0 calories. really? I know it [probably adds up to minimal calories, but seriously?:huh:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    for me, it's any dry pasta... so the serving sizes are "1/4 cup dry" - but if i'm cooking for myself and the rest of the family, without going Alton Brown and experimenting with the digital scale, how in the world does that translate to cooked???

Yeah, and 1/4 cup uncooked rice. Please give me the cooked serving size.

Use a scale, it's better all the way around. Basically, weight your dry ingredients (I'd bet you'd be surprised to see the difference between the top of the measuring cup and where the pasta or rice comes to when weighed on a scale - it's never to the edge of the cup, not even a level scoop.

And for portioning, just know how many portions you cooked, weigh the food after it's cooked and then divide by that many number of portions. Cooked three 40g portions of rice (120g dry) and you now have 540grams of cooked rice? Then you have three 180 gram servings. That's how I do everything when preparing more than one serving of an item.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I know now by measuring my food I have to look at every label. My brother who doesn't do this is noticing to all the labels are different. BEWARE.
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've also noticed that on frozen food packages, they give you the serving weight of the frozen, uncooked product as opposed to the serving weight after it's been cooked. This makes a huge difference on things like oven fries etc. For example a serving of Alexia Oven Fries (Olive Oil, Rosemary & Garlic flavor) is 85g, and if you weigh the frozen contents of the bag, it comes to around 680g, which is the 8 servings the package suggests. However, if you bake 85g of the fries, and then weigh the baked fries, it comes to around 58g of baked fries. Most people will bake the entire contents for their family, and then measure out the 85g serving after it's been baked. But if they do that, they are actually taking almost a half serving (46%) more than they think they are!
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I just recently started liking Chinese food, so I looked up the calories after I ate, to fill this out. OMG!!! I was in shock how bad it is for you. I mean you don't see a lot of fat Chinese people.

It's not "bad for you," just the portions are too big is all.
    Let's not kid ourselves, what you're getting in American Chinese restaurants is not necessarily what people in China are eating either...

Nor is it what Chinese people eat in North America.

I love Chinese food, but only eat it a few times a year. I think it actually is pretty bad for you. Depending on your choices it can be full of fat and sodium. I don't know anyone who says "lets go for Chinese, I'm dying for some bok choy."

"Tricky granola *kitten*" made water come out my nose.
  • Joanitude
    Joanitude Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^
    I was just looking at this the other day. I have a yummy yummy loaf of sourdough from the seattle baking co. Give calories by the slice! I just took the one that looked the most "middle" sized -_-
    Don't they say 1 slice (Xgr)? I may be imagining it though
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    McCain's International pizza has a serving size of 1/5th the pizza. How the hell do you cut 1/5th of a circle without turning it into Euclidean geometry?
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I just recently started liking Chinese food, so I looked up the calories after I ate, to fill this out. OMG!!! I was in shock how bad it is for you. I mean you don't see a lot of fat Chinese people.

It's not "bad for you," just the portions are too big is all.

Actually- much of it is really bad for you. Some of their most popular items are deep fried. Look up the calories on Panda Express items- Bejing beef is 560 calories (5.4 oz) vs.. Broccoli Beef 150 calories (5.4 oz- its almost all broccoli anyway) and Pepper chicken 200 calories (6 oz serving).

* Side note- no one trying to lose weight should be going to any buffet- especially chinese food

None of that is bad for you. Beef and broccoli is full of nutrition. And there is nothing wrong with deep-fried foods once in a while. It's high calorie, but it's not going to kill you to eat it once in a while.

But honestly, Panda Express is not my idea of good Chinese. The one by me went out of business as soon as it opened because we have *good* Chinese food here, like Bo Lings. http://www.bolings.com/main/home.html

Beef and Broccoli and pepper chicken was my "good" recommendation- just a comparison. Panda Express is not mine either- just an easy example of tracking calories- based on topic thx
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have a problem with rye bread or other similarly shaped loaves where calorie content is provided per slice? Which slice, I always wonder, the end slices that are maybe 3 square inches or the centre slices that are 20 square inches? Is it an average slice? That would provide some interesting mathematics....measuring all of them, totalling the combined area, dividing by the number of slices...and what if part of the loaf had already been eaten? I am not as young as I once was. Maybe I am losing my mental faculties but this is just too much for me.
    This. I actually feel the need to weigh my bread since I weighed a slice of Whole Foods Flax Oat Bread. Serving size 56g, but each slice weighs about 42g. Seriously? So a serving is 1 1/3 slice? What kind of sandwich do you make with 1/3 slice?
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    McCain's International pizza has a serving size of 1/5th the pizza. How the hell do you cut 1/5th of a circle without turning it into Euclidean geometry?

This is so funny!

Sometimes it's easier to work out the calories for the whole thing then divide it into what you want to have. A 1/4 would make more sense.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I may get shot here - but it really is possible: I actually have a hard time eating more than 1/4 pint of their ice creams. I think the most I ever managed was 1/2pt. That's why I like eating B&J - I want sooo much less than the regular ice creams.
    I hate you! I can only eat 1/2 a pint if I have to share it with my sweetheart.:sad:

I would struggle to eat 1/4 pint of Ben and Jerrys. It's just so COLD, and I hate eating cold stuff for ages and ages. If I have icecream I usually have a spoonful. The thought of eating a pint makes me feel shivery.

That's JUST icecream, though. I could easily overeat, say, tortilla chips.
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you're like me and get excited when you see something you like to eat and at first glance it looks surprisingly low in calories. Only to later have your bubble busted when you look at the serving size and it' says "2 pieces".

This just happened to me with granola. I'm thinking healthy granola, I can eat a good portion of this. Well serving size was 1/4 of a cup. Who eats a 1/4 cup of granola? Those tricky granola *kitten*.
    I don't know about you but I get really frustrated with serving sizes and think they should be labeled differently. I thought we could post some ridiculous/tricky serving sizes you guys have noticed. Maybe you have seen something others haven't and should be careful with.

This Urks me.. As well. Makes shopping for food a totals b*tch ❤???? lol seriously ! .. If you look hard enough though every once in a while u hit the lotto and find something super healthy with a good serving size.. This is also why I don't buy a lot of boxed food or pre packaged meals because you'll get all excited then realize you can only have 1/2 b/c if u have the whole thing it's like 700 cals or what about when the serving size is like 1.5 or the full container 2.5 lol wtf? I also refuse to eat one 300 calorie item when I could eat basically a whole meal for that amount and be 3x fuller.. Lol
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    The other day my Mom came home with a bag of tortilla chips and she was like "I bought the bag with the least amount of calories! It's only 120 calories per serving!!"

I looked at the bag and the serving size said 7 chips. I'm not joking. SEVEN CHIPS. Who the hell only eats 7 tortilla chips? My 2 year old niece eats more than 7 tortilla chips lol. On top of that they had 6 grams of fat....IN SEVEN CHIPS! lol WTF?
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    6d1fd1674b690326_100-calories-of-veggies.jpg

candy21.jpg

Love this. I was just thinking how counting calories pushes you to eating lots of veggies-- I was cutting up carrots for my lunch and my daughter's lunch. I realized we could each have a really sizeable baggie-ful for the same calories as a few chips-- and actually feel full.
  • Rachielous
    Rachielous Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of eating a "serving" of prunes once.

7 prunes is not a serving.

7 prunes is a cruel practical joke from the people at the prune factory.

I tried covering a prune in frosting once, figuring everything in frosting is better. This is not true.

I repeat DO NOT PUT FROSTING ON PRUNES, i had a disgusting upchuck of a result.

Bwahahahahhaa. Funniest post ever!

I laughed outloud reading this thus giving away to everyone in my office that I was not in fact working.