1200 calories = more likely to have problems?

Options

Replies

• AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    BTW- in order for me to lose 1lb/week, I have to eat 1200. When I work out I get some back.

to lose .5lb/week I get around 1400. I try to eat between 1200-1400 depending on the day..

Weight loss isn't easy when you don't have much to lose... =/

It's not easy when you have a bunch to lose!!!! I thought for sure my weight would drop right off starting at 264... nope. It's taken me 6 months to lose 40, and the first 30 of that was in the first 3 months. I've slowed up A LOT, and I'm still 221... some people just have a more difficult time... but I know when you're tiny already it's very hard to lose. But just saying! It's hard for bigger people too!! Hang in there!
  • EACullop0921
    Options
    1200 is actually what works for me. If I want to see results, I have to go down to 1200 calories per day. It's hard, but it's worth it!
  • isitsororo
    Options

This. This this this.

I'm on 1200 and I do have some hunger, but I haven't been pushed to pig out on snacks or anything. I can control it fairly easily. I think 1200 can be hard for you if control is a problem.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    For me I know i posted my question about being hungry at about that many cals because im NEW to this. Im not use to eating 3 meals + snacks. Im not use to drinking water. My body is use to eating dinner and drinking mt dew and thats it. So when i shifted into this, of course I wasnt expecting instant results but i wondered what i was maybe missing. Now i know to eat more protein to stay full and maybe play around with meal times or try smaller, more frequent meals.

Its not always that we lower cal people stuff ding dongs in our mouths and whine, some of us just dont know what to do. :happy:

I think the problem he was more talking about was people who come on, cut their calories SUPER low, lose 5 lbs and then get stuck and come on the boards asking where they went wrong and why MFP won't let them eat any less. It's much more common than your "how to stay full on reduced calories" question, and something that can be quite difficult as it sets off a "to eat or not to eat exercise calories" flame war. Which derails from the original question.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i usually find that the people who are on a 1200 calorie a day diet are the ones that are wanting to lose 2 pounds a week and don't understand that mfp defaults to a minimum of 1200 a day and many of them are wondering why they're not losing 2 pounds a week.

these folks also usually don't know that its not just how many calories you're ingesting that determines how satisfied you are, but also the SOURCES of those calories that determines your level of satiety/if you're going to be hungry.

a diet rich in carbs and overly processed crap while low in protein and fat WILL keep you hungry if you're on a calorie reduced diet.
  • flabbyjay
    flabbyjay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Then they're eating the wrong shiat..
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    BTW- in order for me to lose 1lb/week, I have to eat 1200. When I work out I get some back.

to lose .5lb/week I get around 1400. I try to eat between 1200-1400 depending on the day..

It's not easy when you have a bunch to lose!!!! I thought for sure my weight would drop right off starting at 264... nope. It's taken me 6 months to lose 40, and the first 30 of that was in the first 3 months. I've slowed up A LOT, and I'm still 221... some people just have a more difficult time... but I know when you're tiny already it's very hard to lose. But just saying! It's hard for bigger people too!! Hang in there!

its all relative.

it has taken me almost a year to lose 9. my starting goal = 15.

at your rate of loss, i would have lost my total goal of 15 a long time ago.
  • cyberblonde
    cyberblonde Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have found the 1200 per day fine, but only because I exercise 3 times per week and then eat the additional 1500 cals burned over fri to sun. Worked for me, lost my 14lbs over 3 months, so a nice 1lb per week. I count my calories over a full week instead of day by day, but I do not go under 1200. I am used to low cal diets though and I know how to make them filling.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    MFP has set me at 1200 calories... and yeh i eat over... but I also exercise... I generally cant eat back all my exercise calories and I have a small deficit... I think those who are complaining are trying to eat just 1200... not taking into account exercising in order to give yourself a few hundred more calories to play with!!

MFP doesn't "have you at 1200 calories". The information you put into MFP (which is just a calculator) says you need to eat 1200 calories to achieve your goal. It doesn't mean that the goal is healthy, or reasonable, just that 1200 calories is the amount nearest to 1000 calories under your TDEE that isn't considered disordered eating to attempt.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I think most of you understood what I was trying to say.

For the others that are insistent that 1200 is the *only* way to accomplish your goals...if you ultimately reach and maintain, then awesome. No, really...congrats. However, if it doesn't work out for you, don't give up entirely. Instead, reconsider your conclusion that 1200 is the *only* path. (In the words of a wise old philosopher, "There is another.")
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Self-serving bump, but seemed appropriate given recent forum posts.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    30528354.jpg
  • Mjhnbgff
    Mjhnbgff Posts: 112
    Options
    I think it's also important to note what you're eating and not just how many calories. I have no trouble with 1,200 calories a day. I try not to worry about whether I'm eating enough or why I don't feel hungry. I'm losing weight and I feel good so I think I'm doing okay. I only whole grains, fruits and veggies, and proteins like tofu, chicken, and salmon. I eat what I like but I don't eat any processed or prepackaged snacks. For me, I get more bang for my calories with an apple than pretzels. My doctor recommended having at least 15 grams of protein at every meal and to not go for more than 5 hours in between meals, and I find that this really helps me to not get hungry.
  • Sindaelys
    Sindaelys Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was recommended 1280 calories, and after going through the "eat more to lose more" threads, I'm wondering why I was recommended that if my BMR is 250 calories above it? I mean, I'm not in a coma, ffs... Anyone have any ideas on why it recommends that?
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    1200 cals worked for me for the first few months, but instead of crabbing about my plateau I upped my calories and started losing again. Woohoo! Imagine that! ;)

I did the same thing. One thing people don't get is this:

Depending on your weight and your goal for weight loss, MFP sets your limit at 1200 calories. I am 145 and want to be 135. Goal was set at sedentary (per the advice of many on MFP) and lbs/week was set at 1 lb.
    What if we're thinner and just have a few pounds to lose (myself) in order to achieve your goal weight (Which, by the way is not 100 lbs like many...I just want to be back to 135)...so when the goal is set, it's not like we personally enter this information and set it at 1200 calories.

I did try it for a while and, like many, found myself hungry and grumpy all the time....so I upped the calories and I'm feeling better and sticking with my routine. Weight loss is a martathon, not a sprint.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I think it's also important to note what you're eating and not just how many calories. I have no trouble with 1,200 calories a day. I try not to worry about whether I'm eating enough or why I don't feel hungry. I'm losing weight and I feel good so I think I'm doing okay. I only whole grains, fruits and veggies, and proteins like tofu, chicken, and salmon. I eat what I like but I don't eat any processed or prepackaged snacks. For me, I get more bang for my calories with an apple than pretzels. My doctor recommended having at least 15 grams of protein at every meal and to not go for more than 5 hours in between meals, and I find that this really helps me to not get hungry.

That's great that it's working for you right now...but just so we're clear, the success of a particular dietary approach is more than just whether or not you feel hungry. Food is a wonderful source of not just fuel for what we do, but also the vitamins, minerals, etc we need for optimal health.
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    30528354.jpg

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I think most of you understood what I was trying to say.

For the others that are insistent that 1200 is the *only* way to accomplish your goals...if you ultimately reach and maintain, then awesome. No, really...congrats. However, if it doesn't work out for you, don't give up entirely. Instead, reconsider your conclusion that 1200 is the *only* path. (In the words of a wise old philosopher, "There is another.")

I don't have much to add because for me due to size and weight 1700 a day is 2lbs a week and I've been losing it faster, and lots of inches......................

I just got excited by the Star Wars reference there. That is all.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Which is why it's recommended to switch to a half pound a week when you're as close to your goal as you are.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Some of us are Hobbits and are just fine eating a low (but healthy?) amount of calories.

Not everyone is a Hobbit. If you're hungry eat. Easy, right?