school says granddaughter too fat

Options

Replies

• scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    AWWWW, government schools. Arent they great! I'd have to have a meeting with the nurse, just to see what kind of physique she has (dollars to donuts she is not in the prime BMI range herself). And then tell her to pound sand!
  • xoxaidaxox
    Options
    My daughter is 5 and 40(inches)?? She weights 66lbs. Her doctor said shes heavier but shes solid theres no rolls, no belly. And if she gets a cold and doesnt want to eat i know she'll be okay becuz shes a bit bigger.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Obviously makes sense to have the family doctor check it out.

Many people at my job scoff when they get told by their doctor they are obese. For some reason people think obese=morbidly obese.
  • SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Based on the height and weight entered, the CDC says your grand-daughter has a BMI is 23.9 , placing her BMI above the 99th percentile for girls age 4 years. It goes on to say this child is likely to have health-related problems because of weight and should be seen by a healthcare provider for further assessment. Rather than being sensitive to who weighted her and what right do they have, I'd have to thank someone for bringing this to light if I truly didn't know.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    too get kids healthy would require parents to look at themselves, and that isn't going to happen.
  • PamelaKuz
    PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    So if the nurse is fat, it's ok that your child is fat?
    AWWWW, government schools. Arent they great! I'd have to have a meeting with the nurse, just to see what kind of physique she has (dollars to donuts she is not in the prime BMI range herself). And then tell her to pound sand!
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    No, it's ok because it's the meddling government!
    So if the nurse is fat, it's ok that your child is fat?
  • llsand
    llsand Posts: 87
    Options
    She might look perfectly fine. She might feel perfectly fine. But what the BMI is indicating is what will happen if she continues like this. People realize much too late that their health is at risk and if this letter can push you to go see your doctor and address the issue then the program is working in my opinion.
  • PamelaKuz
    PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have one more thought on this. Imagine someone's 8 year old develops juvenile diabetes. They go to the school to discuss with the nurse their child's medication needs and such. During the conversation the nurse lets slip that for the last 3 years she's been watching your child get larger, and larger. She was concerned that health problems might arise, but didn't inform you. She didn't want to offend, or embarrass you. How would you feel? I'm sure you wouldn't be grateful that your poor feelings didn't get hurt when you could have possibly prevented your child from having to suffer with being sick instead of just enjoying being a child and having fun. Admit it, if there was an issue I'm pretty sure fingers would be pointing.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I would call the nurse to decline the home visit and tell her what you told us. You can tell her your reasoning but you don't have to justify it to her. (I would try to get a letter from your family dr stating that your child is under their care and doing fine in case the school doesn't drop it and thinks you are a food-pushing mom that doesn't give a rip if her kid gets fat.)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    If the school saw my daughter engaging in a dangerous practice and brought it to my attention I'd thank them
    Take the child to a qualified pediatrician. If you have, politely let the school know the results.
    Sometimes it does take a village...
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You say you don't want your granddaughter going down the same road as you, so why ignore the signs?!? Schools really aren't out to get you, and believe me school nurses have plenty of other things to do than waste time with parents that won't listen anyway. Please listen for your granddaughters sake! I am a teacher, and the majority of the students that I teach are overweight and parents just don't know, or don't want to know. Most of the parents are quite overweight as well, so they probably see this as "normal". Our coaches are required to do fitness evaluations and notify parents of any red flags. I was notified that my son had mild scoliosis and was VERY grateful! They also notify parents if kids are overweight, you should be thankful instead of outraged IMO.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Please do not ignore your school nurse. If you look up healthy BMI for children, your granddaughter is indeed obese. A BMI of 23.9 for her age is over 99% of children her age and is way too high. Please talk to your doctor and listen to your nurse, they only want what is best for your granddaughter. Sometimes it's difficult to be objective with the ones we love.

Yes...um, ever heard of the nanny state...do you want to be nannied?

Why should they be weighing your grand daughter and doing this? Are we not the guardians of our children and grand children and not the state? My son has not been measured or weighed since he was a baby...he is my concern not anyone else's. America and the UK need to change the way they do things a little...
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Please do not ignore your school nurse. If you look up healthy BMI for children, your granddaughter is indeed obese. A BMI of 23.9 for her age is over 99% of children her age and is way too high. Please talk to your doctor and listen to your nurse, they only want what is best for your granddaughter. Sometimes it's difficult to be objective with the ones we love.

Yes...um, ever heard of the nanny state...do you want to be nannied?

Why should they be weighing your grand daughter and doing this? Are we not the guardians of our children and grand children and not the state? My son has not been measured or weighed since he was a baby...he is my concern not anyone else's. America and the UK need to change the way they do things a little...

Do you not acknowledge that there is a childhood obesity problem in this country? Not all parents see the signs of obesity in children. Calling this to the attention of caregivers is hardly creating a "nanny state". They aren't seeking custody or legal action FGS, just bringing this problem to their attention.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    Me I'd tell them to mind their own freaking business and they better not ever say it to her or there would be hell to pay. Some schools just hire someone to play nurse, they aren't even real nurses. I had to go off on them before saying my kid had lice when it was dandruff. I went up there and chewed her out and told if she didn't know the difference between lice and dandruff then I could show her but if she ever had my kid sit in her office all day again for nothing then I'd be sure to see her fired from her job. The REAL nurse called me that afternoon and apologized for the incompetence of the other "nurse". She said she would not allow her to check heads again. Don't let them get away with it, if you do then it will happen to some other little girl who may already have self esteem issues. Stupid people.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Obviously makes sense to have the family doctor check it out.

Many people at my job scoff when they get told by their doctor they are obese. For some reason people think obese=morbidly obese.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    this

My husband is 'obese' too. He doesn't look it - he looks a bit overweight. It's a classification.

As to your daughter . . . No one in the 99th percentile for their age is a healthy weight.
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    Me I'd tell them to mind their own freaking business and they better not ever say it to her or there would be hell to pay. Some schools just hire someone to play nurse, they aren't even real nurses. I had to go off on them before saying my kid had lice when it was dandruff. I went up there and chewed her out and told if she didn't know the difference between lice and dandruff then I could show her but if she ever had my kid sit in her office all day again for nothing then I'd be sure to see her fired from her job. The REAL nurse called me that afternoon and apologized for the incompetence of the other "nurse". She said she would not allow her to check heads again. Don't let them get away with it, if you do then it will happen to some other little girl who may already have self esteem issues. Stupid people.
    Wow, you sound pleasant.
    Nobody said the girl got the letter (she's 4). A letter was sent to her HOME. They didn't tattoo it on her forehead...
  • farrari17
    Options
    You have to understand, with children, there are standards, and it's not something you can judge by looks. There are special charts that determine this. I would talk to the nurse and dietitian and understand more before becoming offended. They are wanting your granddaughter to be healthy, they're not trying to offend anyone. If you want the best for your granddaughter, then follow it up. Obesity is a big issue for school age children, and if you don't nip it in the bud early, your granddaughter could have weight issues later in life.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

OMG your kid has dandruff?!
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    You have to understand, with children, there are standards, and it's not something you can judge by looks. There are special charts that determine this. I would talk to the nurse and dietitian and understand more before becoming offended. They are wanting your granddaughter to be healthy, they're not trying to offend anyone. If you want the best for your granddaughter, then follow it up. Obesity is a big issue for school age children, and if you don't nip it in the bud early, your granddaughter could have weight issues later in life.
    Stop being so sensible. :mad:
    You need to blow up and become hysterical because someone was following policy, ie. doing their job.