school says granddaughter too fat

Options

Replies

• kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Me I'd tell them to mind their own freaking business and they better not ever say it to her or there would be hell to pay. Some schools just hire someone to play nurse, they aren't even real nurses. I had to go off on them before saying my kid had lice when it was dandruff. I went up there and chewed her out and told if she didn't know the difference between lice and dandruff then I could show her but if she ever had my kid sit in her office all day again for nothing then I'd be sure to see her fired from her job. The REAL nurse called me that afternoon and apologized for the incompetence of the other "nurse". She said she would not allow her to check heads again. Don't let them get away with it, if you do then it will happen to some other little girl who may already have self esteem issues. Stupid people.

Children and their well being are a schools "freaking" business and it's folks like you that make our lives hell. Why not support your schools that are educating your loved ones instead of berating them. Or even better--homeschool if public education is so bad! Sheesh.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    LOL @ AngryDiet. :laugh:
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I would take her to a doctor's office. Make sure there is no concern, then ask that the doctor write a letter to the school nurse and the negative impact of misdiagnosis such as this. I.E. poor self esteem, eating disorders etc that could be caused by doing this.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Me I'd tell them to mind their own freaking business and they better not ever say it to her or there would be hell to pay. Some schools just hire someone to play nurse, they aren't even real nurses. I had to go off on them before saying my kid had lice when it was dandruff. I went up there and chewed her out and told if she didn't know the difference between lice and dandruff then I could show her but if she ever had my kid sit in her office all day again for nothing then I'd be sure to see her fired from her job. The REAL nurse called me that afternoon and apologized for the incompetence of the other "nurse". She said she would not allow her to check heads again. Don't let them get away with it, if you do then it will happen to some other little girl who may already have self esteem issues. Stupid people.

Children and their well being are a schools "freaking" business and it's folks like you that make our lives hell. Why not support your schools that are educating your loved ones instead of berating them. Or even better--homeschool if public education is so bad! Sheesh.

Um. No. It's not. A school's chief concern should be education and making sure the kids aren't bullied by each other. A parent's chief concern should be taking care of a child's well being (mentally, emotionally and physically) and making sure their school isn't messing their kid up.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Um. No. It's not. A school's chief concern should be education and making sure the kids aren't bullied by each other. A parent's chief concern should be taking care of a child's well being (mentally, emotionally and physically) and making sure their school isn't messing their kid up.
    So are we better off not cooperating with those whose main job is to educate?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You have a major obesity problem in the US. You're going to see more and more of this kind of thing until the trend reverses and everyone is getting skinnier. Take note of what was said, take the kid to your Doctor and have them give their opinion and deal with it from there.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Check with her doctor. As with adults a muscular person can weigh more than the charts recommend and still be healthy. Also ask questions -- what numbers did they use to make this determination? height? age? body fat percentage?
    As you know, it is important to bring up children with healthy bodies and attitudes toward food. Too many people started life-long obsessions as a result of childhood (mis)guidance. Also consider how long she's been at the weight and height -- children sometimes pack on weight just before they have a growth spurt.
  • penrbrown
    Options

Since were schools left in charge of teaching kids how to eat properly? Seriously. Parents should be teaching their kids this stuff.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

Since were schools left in charge of teaching kids how to eat properly? Seriously. Parents should be teaching their kids this stuff.

They should but they aren't. Stop feeding the kid junk food.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why this would be taken as a personal attack. If your on top of your child's health and medical needs, why is saying 'We are working with her doctor to watch her development.' such a difficult thing to do?

Here's the hard truth...some kids don't have parents or grandparents looking out for them. Those are the children this program is aimed at. My school told my mother I was too fat when I was little, and I went to school in the early 90s. They were trying to help me and improve my life. I didn't take it as a personal attack, and I WAS obese. My life SUCKED because I was so heavy.

I'm not angry or anything I just don't understand why the school being concerned which your child's health (When they spend half their time there) is such a bad thing?

They didn't threaten to suspend her if she has a twinkie did they?
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options

Nutrition and fitness classes?
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Im so thankful i homeschool- no worry about any of this!
  • primmomof3
    Options
    I was curious and did her BMI and it says she is in the normal range so no worries!!!!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I think you should tell the school that you will go by your (the child's) pediatrician's recommendations, and have the child checked by her pediatrician, letting the pediatrician know what the school said. While it's true that there is a lot of variability and that the family knows the child better than the school, the flip side is as we all know obesity is a huge (no pun intended) and growing health problem in our society and the problem begins for most people in early childhood. So- it's best to be sure. Check with the pediatrician.

I think this response was well put. It is also very difficult to objectively judge things like healthy weight in people that we love.

For those who think this is out of line for a school nurse -- schools screen children for eyesight and vision problems, and check them for lice; how is this so different?

I have to agree. I know it seems intrusive for the school to do this, but at only 36 inches tall, 44 pounds is off the charts for her age. Children this age do not usually have a weight this high. She might have a hormonal issue, or just is being fed too much. It is hard to see it in our own children sometimes, so when a school nurse brings this to your attention, you really shouldn't just brush it off. I would agree with those suggesting a visit to the pediatrician. Ruling out any medical problems, and changing some health habits now, will help your granddaughter to not become morbidly obese at a young age. Trust me, when she gets a bit older, the teasing from kids can be brutal. Better to get a handle on it now. I find it so sad to see 14 yr olds today weighing 250-300 pounds and having diabetes. People wonder how they got to that point. It is because no one addressed it when they were younger and taught them good eating and exercise habits. You can be a hero to this little girl by saving her from a very unhealthy lifestyle later on. Best wishes for you both.
  • drizzle28
    drizzle28 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is a very interesting situation. I am overweight and have been for a mojority of my life. Since becoming a parent I have limited the amount of unhealthy snacks around the home and yet when my daughter was weighed by her doctor last, in Aug. 2011 when she was 5 yrs old, she was above the height and weight ranges for her age.That was no surprise as she's been there since her 6 week checkup. She's now 6 yrs old, 3'10" tall and 79 lbs. Yes she's way over her weight range but I'm not overly concerned as she's always been an active child. She's also a strong child. At 2 she was lifting her tricycle because she couldn't pedal and keep up with her cousin, so she would lift it and walk around with it. It was solidly built and by no means light, just like my daughter. At 3, she was bigger than the 5 yr olds at the kindergarten I signed her up at. At 4 her cousin, who's 3 yrs older, started borrowing her clothes and still does from time to time. At 5, I was tired and worn out and she had energy to burn, getting her to bed was the beginning of a new war every night. I signed her up for martial arts classes in Aug. 2012 to up her activity level and hopefully have it easier when it came to bedtime. Weightloss was far from my mind then but it would be a bonus if she did lose some weight though. I try my best to pay closer attention to what I give her to eat as well as how much I give her to eat and to ensure that she is active, at least on evenings. She can do push ups (more than I can) and situps (with someone holding her feet). She loves to run on the treadmill and ride her bike for hours, if I left it up to her. The point I am making is this, yes there are problems with childhood obesity but every child is different and focusing only on weight and height and not bothering to factor in strength, stamina and activity levels is very narrowminded. Fitness includes all those factors. A healthy lifestyle focuses on fitness and diet. If your granddaughter is active (always running, jumping, skipping/hopping or does some sport), healthy (doesn't get sick often) and eats properly (doesn't need a lot of encouraging when it comes to eating fruits and veggies) then I wouldn't worry about the note so much. You know her medical history, use that as your guide as to what you should do next.
  • penrbrown
    Options

Nutrition and fitness classes?

I didn't have either of those at this girls age. I mean, we had 'gym' but they didn't EXPLAIN anything to us. They just had us run around and jump and play. *shrug* Nutrition? They had us read the food pyramid once. That was it. School has changed since I was a kid. That's for darn sure.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    My 4 year old granddaughter came home from school with a letter from the school nurse saying she was" obese". She wanted a home visit to discuss proper nutriction and calorie control.

This child weighs 44 pounds is 3 foot tall. She has no protruding stomach, her butt is normal looking. She has normal looking arms, no excess chub, her face is thin and her neck is thin. She wears normal size childrens clothing sizes with ease. She looks like a normal size little girl with no weight issue. (believe me we watch closely for the kids to not go down our road). But this little girl is solid, she doesn't look it but pick her up and you feel it.

The school is basing their opinion on the scale and not the body. What do you think of this?

I would ignore it. I think it's upsetting to hear things like this, and at that age I don't think it's appropriate.

I just had a look in my daughter's red book (not sure if you are in the UK?) and the weight chart in there says she is fine for her age. She's at the top of the centiles, but not above them.

My 3 year old son is the opposite. He is 3 foot 4 and 36lbs, so 98th centile for height and below 50th for weight.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it and just keep on as you are. Kids tend to get taller and thinner.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I was curious and did her BMI and it says she is in the normal range so no worries!!!!

Not sure where you got your information. I also checked using the BMI for children and it was 23.9 which places her in the obese category and in the 99th percentile for weight.
  • sluedu09
    sluedu09 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher and the school that I work at sends these notes home. The school does dental, vision, hearing, and weight screenings. I think it's provided more for parents who can't afford/don't take their kids to the doctor or just have no knowledge of good health. Sad but true. If you don't agree with it, throw it away and tell the school you're not interested. The screenings are typically done for the entire school or by grade levels, so really your child isn't being singled out. It's just another service that schools are expected to provide, because unfortunately for some parents (NOT ALL!) we are the ones that are supposed to raise the kids.
  • penrbrown
    Options
    I'm a teacher and the school that I work at sends these notes home. The school does dental, vision, hearing, and weight screenings. I think it's provided more for parents who can't afford/don't take their kids to the doctor or just have no knowledge of good health. Sad but true. If you don't agree with it, throw it away and tell the school you're not interested. The screenings are typically done for the entire school or by grade levels, so really your child isn't being singled out. It's just another service that schools are expected to provide, because unfortunately for some parents (NOT ALL!) we are the ones that are supposed to raise the kids.

That really is so, so unfortunate.

*shakes head*

I wonder when the ING got taken out of the parent.