Are there any dudes here that take this seriously...

Options

Replies

• Akumu
    Akumu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I enjoy seeing the ab pics - male or female. Not because I'm shallow or panting after someone, but because it's very motivational and I can see that these are the people I can look to for advice because it's obvious they do take it seriously.

I agree with this. It's great motivation to see what people have accomplished through their hard work, especially the progress pictures.
  • Absaluteme
    Absaluteme Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I take it all very seriously but you gotta have a laugh while you are doing it. I don't post half naked pics of myself flexing either. Even if my body was fit for that purpose it just isn't my thing.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Yeah the ab guys are the worst about it but unfortunately the women here are horrrrrrrficly shallow and go nuts for them.

I hope you're kidding. Besides this isn't a dating site. I'm friends with anyone who is nice and serious about getting fit/losing weight.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Yeah the ab guys are the worst about it but unfortunately the women here are horrrrrrrficly shallow and go nuts for them.

Hey, I don't even have that many "ab guys" on my FL. The ones I do have almost all (if not all) added me. Maybe we aren't all shallow or maybe it's just because I'm married (and he isn't an ab guy either).

There are a few ab guys on my list. Some added me, I added some of them. But I didn't add a single person because of his or her body. Every person on my FL is there because he or she is witty, intelligent, funny and down-to-earth. I have men of all shapes and sizes on my FL and in my life. Personality means a lot more to me than looks.

(Apologies to the OP for a little hijack. That statement was just too much to let go.)

Agree! There are a few men on my friends list- some of them are pretty hot, but ALL of them actually like and respect women. ETA there is a reason that guy isn't getting bombarded with female friend requests and it has nothing to do with his appearance.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options

I hope you're kidding. Besides this isn't a dating site. I'm friends with anyone who is nice and serious about getting fit/losing weight.

Yeah, I agree. Some people should speak for themselves. Personally, I prefer round tummies and a little squishiness to my men. To each her own. *shrug* I just want my FL to have people who are funny, supportive, and serious about getting fitter, regardless of what their tummies look like.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Haha! Yes I take this seriously.

And no I don't take the self taken mirror shots. I've seen way to many of my friends get ridiculed on facebook for it. I'm not going to knock the people that do though. We're on a fitness sight. People should be proud of the hard work they've put in.
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    I don't think it's so horrible for someone to work hard to achieve something and then want to show it off a little, especially someplace where people are specifically supposed to be there to be supportive...

It's not like they're walking down the street like "HEY LOOK AT MY ABS", they're posting their ab shots on myfitnesspal. In fact, I appreciate people posting body shots, because then I can see what they've achieved and glean some motivation. Not to mention that people who look like they know what they're doing generally DO know what they're doing, so the ab/body shots also help with finding out who to ask questions of emulate.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It's not like they're walking down the street like "HEY LOOK AT MY ABS", they're posting their ab shots on myfitnesspal.

I suspect a certain percentage of MFPers actually do that too...

...not that there's anything wrong with that.
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    Well, exactly. There isn't anything wrong with some healthy celebration when you reach a goal. When I go down a pants size I want to stand on the roof with a megaphone and tell it to the world. I understand not liking the overly haughty guys, but I don't think people need to be denigrated for simply having photos of their abs up.
  • dunc77ca
    Options
    Be proud of what you have accomplished, and remember how you got there. There is nothing wrong with posting “muscle” photos. Would the OP belittle a parent who has an “honors student” sticker on their car? I for one am inspired by all the photos.
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I take this very seriously but unfortunatley I don't have the abs... there is nothing wrong with having a bit of fun on this site though. Why does everything need to be so serious, it would get old quick. IMO. Good luck to you though.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I have been posting shirtless pics through my entire weight loss progress. (Which I take pretty seriously) This site is the only place where I felt this this would be the normal thing to do. I would not post these pics on my Facebook page. The pics have been an invaluable tool along the way to realize progress when the scale was not a help and to keep motivation which is one of the most valuable tools in being successful. The attention, compliments, and requests for help that I get from my pictures mean a lot and keep me going.

I went to the coast for the holiday weekend and took my kids to the pool. I can tell you that going shirtless in public after years of being over weight and having issues with body image is still a challenge. Sometimes I am still a fat guy in a more fit body. Dont be so quick to judge.
  • AmazinnGracie
    Options

I'll edit that for you and say "most women here are horrrrrrrficly shallow and go nuts for them"

That chiseled look.. nah.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am confused. Showing progress pics = not taking seriously? Most of the guys that have them have pretty much had to take it seriously to be able to look that good while doing it.

Also, I eat more than half the guys on my FL. The other half eat way more than me - does not bother me at all.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

douchecanoe.jpg
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    It's not like they're walking down the street like "HEY LOOK AT MY ABS", they're posting their ab shots on myfitnesspal.

I suspect a certain percentage of MFPers actually do that too...

...not that there's anything wrong with that.

only on the beach.... and while in the shopping mall lol.
  • neggyly
    Options
    I am ... this site is helping me to keep track of my daily intake of food and exercise. i am knew, i just started it but am confident. i hope to have and count with others support in this site. thanks! :smile:
  • stellydolly
    Options
    It only matter if you are taking this seriously. Good luck
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    The food logging is essential to take seriously - but some of the baggage that goes with it is utterly impossible to take seriously. It's a large part of what makes this place so much fun - that and the chocolate coated zombie elves, of course.
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options

douchecanoe.jpg
    yup my thoughts exactly