Thinking of going vegan

Options
I want to know your experience of being a vegan. I'm thinking of being one, but I love meat too much. But it's a lifestyle commitment.

What are your experiences? Do you have to take protein pills? My friend is one but she eats seafood, not sure if that counts as being a vegan.

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Why?
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Why?
    ^This.

You love meat, but you're thinking about giving it up?

Does not compute.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Why?
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Why?
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    This belongs in chit chat cause it's funny!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    This belongs in chit chat cause it's funny!
    agreed \m/
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I want to know your experience of being a vegan. I'm thinking of being one, but I love meat too much. But it's a lifestyle commitment.

What are your experiences? Do you have to take protein pills? My friend is one but she eats seafood, not sure if that counts as being a vegan.

Eating seafood makes her NOT a vegan. Vegan's don't use anything that comes from any animal. No meat, seafood, chicken, eggs, honey, milk, jell-o. They also don't wear leather, fur, wool, silk, or any other product that comes from an animal. People usually do not become vegans for dietary reasons it is because they think it is wrong to exploit other animals.

drmerc's question is a valid one. Why do you wish to become a vegan?

I believe vegan's are simply confused as to their location on the food chain. I did not claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat kale.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    No, eating seafood means she is not vegetarian or vegan. I have been vegan since March, and it has worked fantastically for me. I have always loved fruits and veggies, though and was vegetarian for about 3 years for ethical reasons. The decision to switch to vegan was for health. For me it was the best decision I have ever made. But it sounds like it might be a little more difficult for you to give up meat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    First of all, I would educate yourself more on what a vegan can and cannot eat.

If you are thinking of going vegan for health or weight loss reasons - I have never seen a compelling reason why it is beneficial over an omnivorous diet.

If you are thinking of doing it for ethical reasons, do your research first.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I want to know your experience of being a vegan. I'm thinking of being one, but I love meat too much.

Don't do it.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of being one, but I love meat too much.

This right here means you are not commited to the lifestyle change you are thinking of making.

ask yourself WHY you want to become one first is it because or a moral/ethical reason? Food allergies? or just because?
  • Mochila09
    Mochila09 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi. You may want to go under the Groups setting and enter "vegan". You'll find several groups with folks that are happy to answer any questions you may have. I was a vegetarian for several years; been vegan for almost 3 now. I'm happy with my decision. I only recently started drinking a protein supplement, but only because I want to build muscle. Otherwise, getting enough protein is pretty easy. You just have to be mindful of what you're eating. Good luck!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It's a really bad idea unless you have strong convictions to do so.

Protein, being a macronutrient, (meaning, big, defined by grams) would be very difficult to get enough of in pill form. Pills are better suited to getting nutrients on a MICROnutrient scale. But there are vegan protein shakes, made from soy, hemp, pea protein, and spiruliuna that will really help you get enough protein on a vegan diet. They're a really good idea if you decide to pursue veganism.

Also, vegans who eat seafood are liars.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

If you are thinking of going vegan for health or weight loss reasons - I have never seen a compelling reason why it is beneficial over an omnivorous diet.

^ This.

I went vegetarian to lose weight a year ago.... now one year later, I've found that cutting out meat doesn't help you lose weight, and in fact, means you have to work harder to get the right nutrition that will assist you in weight loss.

If you love meat, you won't be able to sustain that lifestyle. I never liked steak or chicken or turkey, so it was easy for me to give that up. Fish, though, was very hard, and I still eat that (especially for the protein). There's nothing wrong with eating everything in moderation. It's not as glamourous, but truthfully... there are NO evil foods and no miracle foods. Slow and steady moderation is key.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    funny-argument-vegetarians-beef.jpg
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

^Exactly!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I recently went vegan (except for some smoked turkey on Thanksgiving :blushing: ) and don't miss meat at all. I do miss eggs, but have found a lot of great recipes, so I'm having fun trying new things. I had been going vegetarian for a bit, but then saw "Forks Over Knives", and that convinced me to go full-vegan. I actually have a lot more energy now and feel much better. Give yourself about 6 weeks at it and see how you feel.
  • new2canada
    new2canada Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    your mindset doesn't seem right because you say 'i want to go vegan...but i love meat too much!'...it doesn't make sense. I would say if you're serious about making the change than start slowly, maybe being a vegetarian first. I've been a vegetarian for almost 5 years and couldn't imagine going back to meat. The meat industry is completely disgusting and cruel and there's no way I could support it. I do intend on becoming a vegan, I guess financial and convenience reasons are holding me back right now but I do plan on being a vegan in the future.
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Just do it, but make sure you get all your nutrients in a healthy diet. Taking pills and supplements is not the way to go.
    Except for B12, you can get any nutrient out of plant based nutrition.
    And vegan means no meat, no fish, no seafood, no eggs, no dairy, ... Nothing that had a face and a mother, or any product that comes from such a living being :-)
    I'm not completely vegan, I still have some dairy and little processed things that have non-vegan 'things'. But I am mostly, and I am glad that I did it.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I was a vegan from 12 to 25, and I got pretty ill from it. I was sick all the time! Make sure you supplement your b vitamins and iron from the start because it's not a question of will you get a deficiency... it's a question of when. Tell your dr. about your diet and insist on getting blood work once a year. Also, be careful to get enough protein and fat or you will probably get low blood sugar problems. That being said, my Dr. loves my lipid panel, and my optometrist loves my blood vessles... and it's got to be from all those meat free years.
This discussion has been closed.