Thinking of going vegan

Options

Replies

• _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for over 10 years now. I have had 3 children since then (who are also vegan), nursed etc. through it all..

This makes me so angry. Why should you force a lifestyle on a child just because it's your personal choice. Gah.

People do this all the time with beliefs, religion, morals, expectations, etc. - it's called parenting.
    That's the type of parenting the mother did in the movie, "Carrie." Real parenting involves letting the children decide for themselves what kind of lifestyle they want to live, but to be there for them to steer them away from danger and to pick up the pieces when they get hurt. Real parenting isn't to force your views or beliefs on a child. As for the Original OP, DON"T DO IT. We were made to hunt and eat meat. Forward facing eyes, to track and spot prey easier, ears on the side of the head to hear in a 360' area. Sharp front teet to tear and rip flesh, and we stand up right with opposable thumbs to hold weapons and tools. Contrary to the veggies here, it has noth to do with tradition, but it's the way we were made. No doc, trainer or dietician has ever said a vegan diet is better than an omnivorous diet.

Do you have children which you have parented to adulthood? If not, you are another single person thinking you can do it better.
  • _VoV
    Options
    I have been vegan for over 10 years now. I have had 3 children since then (who are also vegan), nursed etc. through it all..

This makes me so angry. Why should you force a lifestyle on a child just because it's your personal choice. Gah.

People do this all the time with beliefs, religion, morals, expectations, etc. - it's called parenting.
    That's the type of parenting the mother did in the movie, "Carrie." Real parenting involves letting the children decide for themselves what kind of lifestyle they want to live, but to be there for them to steer them away from danger and to pick up the pieces when they get hurt. Real parenting isn't to force your views or beliefs on a child. As for the Original OP, DON"T DO IT. We were made to hunt and eat meat. Forward facing eyes, to track and spot prey easier, ears on the side of the head to hear in a 360' area. Sharp front teet to tear and rip flesh, and we stand up right with opposable thumbs to hold weapons and tools. Contrary to the veggies here, it has noth to do with tradition, but it's the way we were made. No doc, trainer or dietician has ever said a vegan diet is better than an omnivorous diet.

Hmmm... this made me think of this interesting movie I watched, totally fake but still. It's called "Parents" It's on netflix. It's an old movie from 1989 but it shows parents trying to force their ideas on a kid lol. Dunno why this made me think of that.

Perhaps it hasn't occurred to you that societal norms are forced onto children everyday, but because those norms are dominant, they are nearly invisible to people. It's only when parents depart from the norm, and attempt to pass along their atypical knowledge and experience that people accuse them of 'forcing' their ideas on a kid.

Edit for spelling.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    That's the type of parenting the mother did in the movie, "Carrie." Real parenting involves letting the children decide for themselves what kind of lifestyle they want to live, but to be there for them to steer them away from danger and to pick up the pieces when they get hurt. Real parenting isn't to force your views or beliefs on a child

What the???? Sorry, but my children don't get to decide for themselves what they eat, whether or not they go to church, what schools they attend (until college, and even then it's up for a financial discussion). REAL parenting involves guidance, not leaving the kids to make these kinds of decisions on their own.
  • _VoV
    Options
    That's the type of parenting the mother did in the movie, "Carrie." Real parenting involves letting the children decide for themselves what kind of lifestyle they want to live, but to be there for them to steer them away from danger and to pick up the pieces when they get hurt. Real parenting isn't to force your views or beliefs on a child

What the???? Sorry, but my children don't get to decide for themselves what they eat, whether or not they go to church, what schools they attend (until college, and even then it's up for a financial discussion). REAL parenting involves guidance, not leaving the kids to make these kinds of decisions on their own.

Agreed. Without guidance, kids are like little plastic boats on the open sea.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I was a vegan from 12 to 25, and I got pretty ill from it. I was sick all the time! Make sure you supplement your b vitamins and iron from the start because it's not a question of will you get a deficiency... it's a question of when. Tell your dr. about your diet and insist on getting blood work once a year. Also, be careful to get enough protein and fat or you will probably get low blood sugar problems. That being said, my Dr. loves my lipid panel, and my optometrist loves my blood vessles... and it's got to be from all those meat free years.
    b12 is literally the only nutrient that cannot be obtained from a vegan diet. Other than that, there is no need to supplement a well balanced vegan diet. That said, not everyone eats a well balanced vegan diet, and some people choose supplements as an alternative. If you are interested in becoming vegan, I'd recommend the book "Vegan for Life" as it discusses vegan nutrition in detail.
    My diet was impeccalbe. Still got ill. Take vitamins.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

Hmmm... this made me think of this interesting movie I watched, totally fake but still. It's called "Parents" It's on netflix. It's an old movie from 1989 but it shows parents trying to force their ideas on a kid lol. Dunno why this made me think of that.

Perhaps it hasn't occurred to you that societal norms are forced onto children everyday, but because those norms are dominant, they are nearly invisible to people. It's only when parents depart from the norm, and attempt to pass along their atypical knowledge and experience that people accuse them of 'forcing' their ideas on a kid.

Edit for spelling.

I'm not a parent so perhaps I shouldn't weigh in but I have to agree with what you said here VV. All sorts of idealogies are pushed on children. no child is TRULY free to choose his own path, nor should they be. Children don't know right from wrong. They don't know what's best for them. They don't know anything. They're children. It's a parents job to teach and to guide.

Not every child raised in a vegan home is going to be a vegan adult.
    Not every child raised in a meat eating home is going to be a meat eating adult.

But while they're in that home, there's nothing wrong with the parent saying: I think this is best for you, so this is what you're going to eat.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I can't speak for that poster, but when most vegans bring up the idea of eating cats or dogs, it's more to question why it's so different. America went crazy when they sold horse meat, but don't balk at ground beef because that's been "normalized". The question is more "why love one and eat the other?" What really makes my dog, whom I love dearly, so much different from a goat or cow or pig?

Cattle do not show near as much affection as a dog and make for lousy house pets. lol. In the smart *kitten* remark.

But in seriousness, they're just things that have been eaten for years. Same as buffalo, fish, etc. Some where in time, some human took a bite, said it was good, found some kind of benefit and it was just accepted. The human didn't die from it, but back in time... your serving of meat wasn't the size of your head.

I would eat dog or cat if I was hungry enough. I've heard that dog makes a fine meal.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Yes, because children are capable of making adult decisions. Great point. I'll remember that the next time my kids want Ramen noodles and Skittles for dinner.
  • _VoV
    Options

I can't speak for that poster, but when most vegans bring up the idea of eating cats or dogs, it's more to question why it's so different. America went crazy when they sold horse meat, but don't balk at ground beef because that's been "normalized". The question is more "why love one and eat the other?" What really makes my dog, whom I love dearly, so much different from a goat or cow or pig?

Cattle do not show near as much affection as a dog and make for lousy house pets. lol. In the smart *kitten* remark.

But in seriousness, they're just things that have been eaten for years. Same as buffalo, fish, etc. Some where in time, some human took a bite, said it was good, found some kind of benefit and it was just accepted. The human didn't die from it, but back in time... your serving of meat wasn't the size of your head.

I would eat dog or cat if I was hungry enough. I've heard that dog makes a fine meal.

I think that was the point. Why do we love some animals as 'pets', and treat other animals as widgets in a factory?
  • _VoV
    Options

Yes, because children are capable of making adult decisions. Great point. I'll remember that the next time my kids want Ramen noodles and Skittles for dinner.

Well said.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I think that was the point. Why do we love some animals as 'pets', and treat other animals as widgets in a factory?

Right. It's all about societal norms, like you mentioned earlier.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm an ovo-lacto-pesca-carno vegetarian. To each his own.
  • _VoV
    Options
    ***I want to know your experience of being a vegan. I'm thinking of being one, but I love meat too much. But it's a lifestyle commitment.

I haven't eaten meat for almost 40 years. During that time, I have been vegan for years at a time, but now eat always vegetarian, and *mostly* vegan. I agree it's a commitment, particularly since our society is very much a meat/dairy-centered one. My experience has been good. I have absolutely no health problems, and ideal cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood sugar. At my age, I'm very pleased about that.

***What are your experiences? Do you have to take protein pills?

No. Read 'Vegan for Life' for good nutrition advice to keep your diet in balance. Many plant foods have protein which adds up if you make good choices. Just like diets that include meat, too much sugar or fried foods can make it too much of a squeeze to get what you need from the calories you have left.

***My friend is one but she eats seafood, not sure if that counts as being a vegan.

It doesn't. She's a pescatarian, but good for her.
  • cosmic15
    Options
    I have no problem eating meat. or killing animals etc... however I am vegan due to the way that american farms its meat. It is discusting how aminals are treated so you get your protein (that you mostly don't need to the excess you consume). Dairy is so much worse. Read up on it, get educated before you preach it. If you read up on anything, read up on dairy. despressing much.
  • _VoV
    Options

The OP is asking for people to share experiences with veganism. How is your declaration addressing that?
  • cosmic15
    Options
    i'd like to add that this is the best i've felt my whole life. this vegan diet might be laughed at by some but if i avoid the medical problems by elinating meat then maybe i'm ahead of the crowd on this one...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Well said.

I have seen the results of that kind of parenting. It isn't pretty.

There's nothing wrong with feeding your children whatever your diet is. They can decide they want to eat something else when they are old enough to make that decision for themselves.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

The OP is asking for people to share experiences with veganism. How is your declaration addressing that?
    By adding a little levity and balance when people are getting wound up?

I have never done it, but for some reason your post makes me want to use the ignore user function for the first time.
    I'll yield to your thread policing and bow out.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    You like meat? Then eat meat. Only reason some folks go vegan is because of silly "ethical" reasons or some such.

But of course don't eat too much of it and make sure everything's all balanced out and you won't gain weight.

Silly "ethical" reasons are the reason people don't slit your throat and take all your *kitten* just because they want it.

We're people. They're animals. Comparing the two as if we're equal is silly because the fact is we're not. Nor is eating meat ethically wrong. It's helped us all from going extinct and I see no reason to quit eating it now.

According to YOUR ethics that's the case. Someone raised with a different set of beliefs may not see it that way. Some believe that animals have just as much right to live without being murdered as people do and see no difference between slitting a person's throat to taking their *kitten* and slitting an animals throat and eating it and making a jacket out of its skin. In some places if you are a person from a different group of people you are not considered to be of the same worth and it's okay to kill you. That's that culture's "ethic".

Animals eat each other and we eat them. It's just the way life works. Get over it.

^^THIS
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

Actually if you eat honey, you are a ovo-mella-lacto-pesca-carno vegetarian. :happy:
This discussion has been closed.