Thinking of going vegan

Options

Replies

• domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I think you should make a list of the reasons you're considering becoming a vegan. Being a vegan is more than not eating meat. It's about not consuming anything from an animal or using any animal products or products that may be tested on animals.

As for myself, I've been transitioning into eating more of a vegetarian diet. Vegetarians do not eat meat but they do consume dairy. Your friend is a pescetarian (person who eats seafood but no other meat).

My reasoning came about because I ate pescetarian for a mouth and noticed a lot of things were different about my body without meat. I felt lighter (not bloated even after a large meal). My skin was clear. I was able to eat dairy without bloating.

However, you do have to plan your meals better if you're vegetarian. The first few months, I had a hard time with getting enough protein which led to me being sluggish. Now I get almost the same amount as I did when I was eating meat! Also, vegetarian/vegan diets can lead to overconsumption of processed foods. If you go that route, you're not helping your body at all because you're just replacing it with nonmeat versions of the same processed foods.

Like I said, I suggest making a list of the reasons why you think you want to make the switch. Also read books, blogs, and as much info as you can so you're well informed. Hope this helps.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    My reasoning came about because I ate pescetarian for a mouth and noticed a lot of things were different about my body without meat. I felt lighter (not bloated even after a large meal).

I had pretty much the opposite reaction to pescetarianism. I just felt funky.
  • willwillywilson
    Options
    vegan_police_by_xx_matsuda_xx-d5cem9t.png
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Going vegan is not an easy task. Vegans don't eat anything made from animals which is not only meat, poultry and fish but also cheese, eggs, and milk products. I tried vegetarian for awhile which wasn't so bad. Maybe you should start vegetarian and see how that goes. You also have to supplement with vitamins due to deficiencies caused by not consuming animal protein. You should research it first.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    You like meat? Then eat meat. Only reason some folks go vegan is because of silly "ethical" reasons or some such.

But of course don't eat too much of it and make sure everything's all balanced out and you won't gain weight.

Silly "ethical" reasons are the reason people don't slit your throat and take all your *kitten* just because they want it.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I wear leather and wool, but it is all recycled or repurposed

Yes, an animal was using it and now you are.
    Yes, and your point is??? :huh: (I think you are secretly calling me a hypocrite :sad: )
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I like your sense of humor and you are absolutely right!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    LOL...So OP has started a war between the meaters and vegans and hasn't chimed back in yet. Well played.
  • nelnova
    nelnova Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Good Choice! Plus read Joel Furhman's book Eat to Live!
  • CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    2nsuqc.gif
  • willwillywilson
    Options

Yes, and your point is??? :huh: (I think you are secretly calling me a hypocrite :sad: )

Nah just teasing ;)
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    DON'T DO IT!!!!!You will regret it. If you love meat the way you say you do you will fail if you try to do it immediately.

I say start slowly by reducing your meat intake on a daily basis and allow your body to build up to doing without. I recommend becoming a vegetarian before vegan.

I personally cannot do this I was raised to hunt and eat Meat . Carnivore to the end. Seriously my body goes into shock if I don't get flesh into it. I refuse to be identified as an omnivore.

MEAT IS SOOOOOOOO GOOOD!
  • RiverDancer68
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8c_ZF__G0Uju2riQ-KD_7wpphPuGJq5nFXnfygwNwJTWlHXV2Og

nigellagillian.jpg

Nigella is 51??? WOW. I love her, she would be gorgeous wearing a paper bag. The health "guru" just needs a good stylist :wink:
  • RiverDancer68
    Options

Nah just teasing ;)

I know, I was just teasing you back :wink: Takes a lot to get me worked up!
  • RiverDancer68
    Options
    LOL...So OP has started a war between the meaters and vegans and hasn't chimed back in yet. Well played.

Just what I was thinking!!:drinker:
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    I have been vegan for over 10 years now. I have had 3 children since then (who are also vegan), nursed etc. through it all..

This makes me so angry. Why should you force a lifestyle on a child just because it's your personal choice. Gah.

People do this all the time with beliefs, religion, morals, expectations, etc. - it's called parenting.
    That's the type of parenting the mother did in the movie, "Carrie." Real parenting involves letting the children decide for themselves what kind of lifestyle they want to live, but to be there for them to steer them away from danger and to pick up the pieces when they get hurt. Real parenting isn't to force your views or beliefs on a child. As for the Original OP, DON"T DO IT. We were made to hunt and eat meat. Forward facing eyes, to track and spot prey easier, ears on the side of the head to hear in a 360' area. Sharp front teet to tear and rip flesh, and we stand up right with opposable thumbs to hold weapons and tools. Contrary to the veggies here, it has noth to do with tradition, but it's the way we were made. No doc, trainer or dietician has ever said a vegan diet is better than an omnivorous diet.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    If you love meat, going vegan is silly.

I don't love meat. I like it ok, but I don't miss it if I don't have it. I gave vegan a try to see if it would help me feel better. I felt a lot worse. Very little energy and strength.
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    gillian mckeith,

alien vegan:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQd7YBD5QovEWlQC_UAX_jtp4HdH_dxuO2Wspa0h5KsBtlk_IKN-g

and done up by her stylist:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGmWaA8s9GOwH6AQJmBVg0FSnNZOI6P94pC6p5-LQldHnYBydX

and when she collapeses on live tv 2010
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRtqBpMoIBF5O6e_Of0OF7vFDoUgeF_9IxAnike-Q2Cd7puY6wsQ from her "great diet"
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    McKeithCLOSER2_468x811.jpg

her best one yet.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2010/nov/16/gillian-mckeith-im-a-celebrity explains her melt down on live tv. Her diet is obviously lacking inthe proteins necessary to create GABA and other CNS protein/hormones necessary to not have such panic attacks.

lol. Protein is a macro nutrient!
This discussion has been closed.