Ending the MFP Cliques

Options

Replies

• rayne133
    rayne133 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are cliquey on here. I can't even delete someone without their friends complaining and wanting to know why or wanting to delete me as retribution. If you disagree with somone in the forums, all their friends join in so they can win with numbers instead of substance. People watch who you add, delete, and speak to and then try to control it. Not to mention some of the popularity contests. I've seen cliques swarm seemingly obvious questions that are sincere inquiries by new members and chase them away with unnecesary judgments. My question is... how do we stop it? How do we end the cliques?

I have found this post hilarious, and while some of the comments have been funny and others a bit tart, I can't help but wonder about the philosophical aspects at work here.

I have not encountered cliquishness on this site, but with that being said, I have only added six or so highly motivated positive people as friends. This is not facebook, linkedin or half a dozen other social groups that people participate in. For me, this is a place where I come to record calories and receive/give a positive boost when having a bad day. This is not a forum where I feel it would behoove me to amass a group of "empty" friends to make my FL look good.

Your question is how do we end "cliques". The simplest answer is not to become involved with them.

Your issue is with something that happened in a forum. Keep in mind that a forum is a place for someone to express their opinion. For every action there is a RE-action. You CHOSE to post a negative response, now your upset because you gathered more negative reactions. Every CHOICE we make has a CONSEQUENCE, good or bad, and good or bad we live and die by the consequences. Maybe on this one you just need to "suck it up, buttercup". You pissed people off with what ever it was you said. Evaluate yourself instead of them.

In my humble opinion, the only purpose of posting this post was to perpetuate the issue. You are seeking people to "support" you in a post without telling anyone what was originally said. So by proxy you are still slamming them for how they made you feel. If we "supported" you, then we would be forming yet another "clique" that you state you so disparately wish to end.

And eggheads with too much time on their hands suck. LOL
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

Great job killing the thread.

668242_o.gif
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    DGBBadDance.gif
    Can we dance in this group ?

Damn skippy
  • rayne133
    Options
    It's been my experience that the drama tends to revolve around the drama *kitten*. And the more someone speaks out against the drama, the more they are a drama *kitten*.

The problem, if you want to call it that, here is not cliques. It's drama *kitten* whoring their drama and blaming anything and everything but themselves. And quite willing to make up pretend causes when there aren't actually any on hand.

Don't get me wrong, though. Drama *kitten* are fun to have around. As long as they know what they are and stand by it.

Thus ends my drama *kitten* post. :)

ZOMG!!!!!! You said it with more style than I did. 100% truth. Great post by the way :P
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    A lot of people are cliquey on here. I can't even delete someone without their friends complaining and wanting to know why or wanting to delete me as retribution. If you disagree with somone in the forums, all their friends join in so they can win with numbers instead of substance. People watch who you add, delete, and speak to and then try to control it. Not to mention some of the popularity contests. I've seen cliques swarm seemingly obvious questions that are sincere inquiries by new members and chase them away with unnecesary judgments. My question is... how do we stop it? How do we end the cliques?

I have found this post hilarious, and while some of the comments have been funny and others a bit tart, I can't help but wonder about the philosophical aspects at work here.

I have not encountered cliquishness on this site, but with that being said, I have only added six or so highly motivated positive people as friends. This is not facebook, linkedin or half a dozen other social groups that people participate in. For me, this is a place where I come to record calories and receive/give a positive boost when having a bad day. This is not a forum where I feel it would behoove me to amass a group of "empty" friends to make my FL look good.

Your question is how do we end "cliques". The simplest answer is not to become involved with them.

Your issue is with something that happened in a forum. Keep in mind that a forum is a place for someone to express their opinion. For every action there is a RE-action. You CHOSE to post a negative response, now your upset because you gathered more negative reactions. Every CHOICE we make has a CONSEQUENCE, good or bad, and good or bad we live and die by the consequences. Maybe on this one you just need to "suck it up, buttercup". You pissed people off with what ever it was you said. Evaluate yourself instead of them.

In my humble opinion, the only purpose of posting this post was to perpetuate the issue. You are seeking people to "support" you in a post without telling anyone what was originally said. So by proxy you are still slamming them for how they made you feel. If we "supported" you, then we would be forming yet another "clique" that you state you so disparately wish to end.

And eggheads with too much time on their hands suck. LOL
    didntread.gif
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

I'm pretty much a lone wolf. I don't travel in a pack anywhere, I like and enjoy people but I don't need them to the point where I feel I must belong to a group. Saves me so much drama.
  • FatAbert
    Options
    I feel the start of this post was completely childish.
  • paddy1945
    paddy1945 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Trust the French to come up with a word like clique
  • missmuse06
    Options
    If people are seriously worried/upset about cliques on the INTERNET.... something is wrong here. If someone is in a clique on the INTERNET.... something is also seriously wrong. This is a fitness site... shouldn't everyone be OUTSIDE and active instead of having the time to worry about a stupid website??

Holy smokes!
  • rayne133
    Options
    A lot of people are cliquey on here. I can't even delete someone without their friends complaining and wanting to know why or wanting to delete me as retribution. If you disagree with somone in the forums, all their friends join in so they can win with numbers instead of substance. People watch who you add, delete, and speak to and then try to control it.

I can honestly say that I don't pay attention to who my friends add and delete. Who I keep on my FL is entirely up to me and I would never tell one of my friends that they had to choose me over another user.

That being said, I was attacked this morning via PM by another user because she didn't like something I wrote on a mutual friend's profile. The mutual friend decided to delete the other user from her FL. This kind of stuff happens every damn day. I would have never asked or expected her to delete the other user. It's an individual's choice as to how they maintain their FL. If they let their friends TELL them who to add and delete then that's up to them.

Um, if you were attacked via PM (Private Message) then how did the "mutual" friend even know about the event unless you discussed it with them? You may not have told that person directly to make a choice, but you certainly INFLUENCED a choice. The PM'er chose to take an issue up directly with you, you chose to involve the mutual friend instead of continuing to handle the situation directly. Kettles are black :P

I don't appreciate your sexual advances.

OH SNAP!!! I musta missed something.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Great job doing your part to end the cliques on MFP, OP!! I wish you nothing but success in all your fitness and health goals. :flowerforyou:
  • rayne133
    Options

Clique means gang.

According to Wikipedia A gang is a group of recurrently associating individuals or close friends with identifiable leadership and internal organization, identifying with or claiming control over territory in a community, and engaging either individually or collectively in violent or other forms of illegal behavior.[1] Gang members are typically "jumped in" or have to prove their loyalty by committing acts such as theft or violence. Although gangs exist internationally, there is a greater level of study and knowledgeable information of gangs specifically in the United States.

But I think the actual intention of the word is closer to the 1950's meaning of recurrently associating individuals or close friends (without the violence). Clique certainly sounds more dastardly than "group of friends" though. heeheheh

So if we end "cliques" we end friendships , and that would be sad.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I feel the start of this post was completely childish.

I sense the clique is strong with you.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    Great job doing your part to end the cliques on MFP, OP!! I wish you nothing but success in all your fitness and health goals. :flowerforyou:

Thanks. I just ate a bag of potato chips. It was family size. Don't worry. I dipped it in tuna, so it's healthy.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options

Clique means gang.

According to Wikipedia A gang is a group of recurrently associating individuals or close friends with identifiable leadership and internal organization, identifying with or claiming control over territory in a community, and engaging either individually or collectively in violent or other forms of illegal behavior.[1] Gang members are typically "jumped in" or have to prove their loyalty by committing acts such as theft or violence. Although gangs exist internationally, there is a greater level of study and knowledgeable information of gangs specifically in the United States.

But I think the actual intention of the word is closer to the 1950's meaning of recurrently associating individuals or close friends (without the violence). Clique certainly sounds more dastardly than "group of friends" though. heeheheh

Which is what street gangs are. Friends.

I wonder if the crips hold potlucks?
  • rayne133
    Options

Clique means gang.

Guessing you've never been to a backyard bar-b-que in the hood. You're silly, I like you.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options

Clique means gang.

Guessing you've never been to a backyard bar-b-que in the hood. You're silly, I like you and want to touch you in erotic ways.

And you aren't sure what I mean when I say that I don't appreciate your sexual advances???
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options

Clique means gang.

Guessing you've never been to a backyard bar-b-que in the hood. You're silly, I like you.

I love that nearly half of all your forum posts to date have been in THIS thread. YOu must really wanna be in the clique too. :flowerforyou: So glad I am not alone.

*walks off singing*
    Lookin' for love....in all the wrong places....lookin' for love....
  • rayne133
    Options

Clique means gang.

I love that nearly half of all your forum posts to date have been in THIS thread. YOu must really wanna be in the clique too. :flowerforyou: So glad I am not alone.

*walks off singing*

I am incredibly bored at work today, and admittedly, I have been very well entertained by this thread.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Clique means gang.

*walks off singing*

I am incredibly bored at work today, and admittedly, I have been very well entertained by this thread.

Easily amused?

Check.