Starting Jillian michael's 30day shred! Any other bees ?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Swimrae21
    Swimrae21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started it Sunday. And while I am sore, it is not nearly as bad as Im use to. I alternate between 2lbs weights and 5lbs. I have been doing the elypitical for about a month for about 50 min 3-5 times a week and running and am keeping up with that while adding the 30 day shred. So I have not really had any soreness in my legs, which disappoints me. I already moved on to level 2 as level 1 got annoying. Level 2 is much more enjoyable with its not so traditonal moves. I also stretch a alot longer at the end.
  • elorawood
    elorawood Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I did day 2 today - and my arms hurt soooo much lol. I swim and go to the gym 4-6 times a week, but I guess I never really thought about my arms much, I do pilates, yoga and cardio mostly - but this was a surprise for me...I thought... well, lvl 1, no problem, right? :p I can hardly get my coffee cup from the cupboard in the morning now because my arms burn so much hahaha - but I guess that means that I really need it and (hopefully) that it is working. Very excited about it :)
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    elora -- I was surprised to find how "weak" I was, too. Not that I ever thought I was a body builder, but I never thought a 3 lb weight would be so challenging!
  • RedwoodCoast
    RedwoodCoast Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone -
    Yesterday was day 9 of level 2 in my second round of the 30 Day Shred. In between, I did Ripped in 30, and I like them both.
    One thing I want to mention is that the 30 DS can be hard on the knees if you don't do some extra warm-up before beginning the workout. My first time through, the tendons behind my knees were very, very sore during level 1 and it took me awhile to realize that my legs needed to be a lot warmer before doing the moves in level 1.

I started putting in 20-30 minutes on my human-powered treadmill (registering about 125 or so calories burned on my HRM) before doing the 30 DS, and it made a world of difference. Did the same thing with Ripped in 30.

I wasn't especially heavy, but I'm on the shady side of -- ahem -- late middle age (I'm 60), so that may have something to do with it as well. Still, it isn't a bad thing to keep in mind.
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in getting "tone", (wtf does that mean anyway, it doesn't exist) you need to lift weights. Heavier then 10 pounds. You are absolutely spinning your wheels lifting low amounts of weight over and over and over. It really doesn't work. Getting tone, by that you mean gaining LBM, is done by utilizing the principals of progressive resistance. Women won't get bulky lifting weights. Women do not have the Testosterone to get "big" muscles. Check out popular bodybuilding sites, you will find programs that will help you reach your goals much quicker.
  • rieann84
    Options
    I'm gonna continue to do the 30 day shred cause I like it and it's challenging. So..

135146554314.gif
  • RedwoodCoast
    RedwoodCoast Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify - the 30 DS strength training involves a lot more than whatever hand weights are used during the moves involving hand weights. The moves involving pushups, plank postures, squats, lunges, etc. all use body weight (or big proportions thereof) for resistance. Almost all of the moves involving hand weights also incorporate body weight resistance at the same time -- that's where the sweating really happens for me.

I'm around 130 pounds now, give or take, and lifting substantial proportions of that weight in a pushup, deep lunge, or well-formed squat fits my definition of "lifting heavy".
  • HDimple
    Options
    Today was my day 4
    just bout do it properly my inner thighs were aching so badly
  • rieann84
    Options
    3 more days of Level 2 for me! Can't wait to move onto level 3. I really hope I see some results..I worry that I won't :( Going to take a picture when i'm all done, and i'll compare it to an older before picture since I didn't take one at the start.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    It's a great cardio workout. You will be tired. lol
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing day 3 of level one today. I have a hard time with the lateral lifts during the side lunges. About have way through I literally drop the weights, but continue with the motion. Maybe by day 10 I'll be able to complete them with weights the entire time.:blushing:
  • rieann84
    Options
    I'll be doing day 3 of level one today. I have a hard time with the lateral lifts during the side lunges.

I had a real hard time with those too, and definitely dropped my arms a couple times.