WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Becky:smile: My fur baby Noel is 7, she acts like she`s 3:laugh: . I actually get my walk in without her, 30 to 60 minutes, depending on what kind of time I have, then I take her out 30 to 45 minutes 3 times a day, that of course varies, depending again on my time and the weather, the other day we went out and it was a bit rainy and after 15 minutes she refused to go any farther:laugh: . So while you are waiting for a new baby, go out by yourself and get your walk in!!! I love having the my time when I don`t have to stop and wait for her, Barbie gave me some good advice, while they are stopping to smell the roses so to speak...jog in place, do lunges, anything to keep your body moving while they`re busy!

DebA:smile: Yay for having good students!!! Let me know how those handwarmers turn out! I don`t think I could be outside below zero:noway: , 27 degrees was really cold to me!!!

DannaBoston:smile: Welcome! Come in often and just start chatting!

Meg:smile: Long night and long day:yawn: , hope you got some rest:flowerforyou: !

Michele:smile: My daughter had a trampoline and we both loved it, we used to have so much fun on it, and great exercise!!! We also had a pool and all of her friends wanted to be at our house (which I loved), that too was great exercise, swimming laps!! You are going to love your pool come this spring and summer!!!! We had plans for one in this house, but hubby died 6 months after we moved in and I didn`t put it in, just one more thing I would have to take care of:noway: ! I kind of wish I had now for the granddaughters to play in, however I still don`t want to have to take care of one by myself, the pool was great but it`s a lot of work, that was always hubbys job!!!

Carolmsb:smile: Duckpin bowling....sounds interesting!

Barbie:smile: Glad the performance went well!!! When is the next one?

Amanda:smile: This thread has really grown, I think I joined in in June and it wasn`t nearly this big! So glad you`re dad is doing fine and no worries about the bigC!!!!!! Hopefully now he`ll let you have some peace!!! Congrats for being sober 3 years:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: !!!!! Hope you have a fabulous time with your Aussie friend! What do the grandtwins want for Christmas? I bet they`re pretty excited, my 6 yrs old DGD is beside herself all ready, the 11 yr. old is pretty excited too! I just love being around them, the excitement bubbles over to everyone around:love: !

Ladies, have a wonderful Saturday!!! I`m going to go to the grocery store sometime today and then hopefully get some presents wrapped. I fully intend on having a laid back easy day:bigsmile: !!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • 14again
    Options
    I weighed in this morning, and I'm down a pound. I've been over my calories every day this week, and have been so busy i didn't exercise, but I still lost! (I like to think that the busy-ness itself is exercise!). I think it's because I am just doing much more mindful eating, knowing that I will be putting down everything in the diary (mostly, anyway). I especially have been trying to eat lots more vegetables so that I don't have room for other junk. Apparently it's working. I was just dusting around my computer, which is something I don't do very often. I came upon the journal that I started last year on January 1st, and obviously didn't keep up with for very long. But the weight I was at on January 1st of last year was 5 pounds less than I am right now. :embarassed: My resolution then was to lose 10 pounds. If I can lose 5 pounds this month then i will be in the same position as I was last year, and my New Year's resolution will be the same. Hopefully, in 2013 I can really lose it all for good. This site is a really good motivator for me.
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies! Just a quick stop-by - have to finish getting the house ready and food fixed for tonight. I slept in a wee bit this morning but made myself do my workout before getting going; now I'm procrastinating. Hmm.

Michele, the doctors thought I had IBS way back when, but if I did it went away. I think at the time it was a somewhat new diag and they were trying to figure out what it was and who had it. Anyway, I was having issues with my gall bladder and the doctor just told me to cut back on the fruit - I don't recall what else he said at the time. I'm sorry - I hope you start feeling better. One thing I would say to Vince - if he has gout, it came from something he's eating too much of regardless if he's predisposed to it or not. The treatment is always to modify the diet and keep the rich foods out of it. I don't know him, obviously, but you do seem to say he eats a lot of the sweets you cook, so that would be one place to look.

Amanda, I hope you keep coming around even if you don't respond to everyone. It is busy, but as you may notice if you belong to a gym, sometimes that happens towards the end of the year/beginning of the year as everyone gets their goals evaluated :smile:. Then there's me - my posts seem to take up a page by themselves lol. I love hearing about life "across the pond" and about your grandbabies, and we're always available to listen to you vent, so I do hope to hear from you more. Congratulations on three years - that's terrific!

OK, I'm off to enjoy my weekend. I get to cook and bake and entertain and bring joy - my favorite things!

Cheers,

M.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I will sure be glad when the shelves are not loaded with all the holiday treats :happy:

I can't help but wonder which shelves you mean. I do reasonably well with "won't power" (as in I won't buy or eat xyz ) at the grocery store. Once I get food home, I will eat it. My kitchen is full of bananas, apples and cuties this year and I'm doing okay so far. The newness to myfitnesspal is also helping me. I'm getting a lot of fun out of rethinking old patterns of buying and eating. Daughter and SIL brought a bag of corn chips and left them on the counter, but they aren't tempting me at the moment because I'm too busy enjoying the success I've gained here with all of you. I hope to hold strong and don't expect to be perfect.:wink:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    300 plus posts by the 8th of the month. Too difficult to keep up with these days. Sad, but I will still stop by and post, it is just no longer possible to respond to everyone the way I used to when there was just a handful of us.

I agree! It has grown so much it is even difficult to read thru all the posts.

Good morning ladies,
    Still struggling but never giving up!

Robin, Bodi and Ritter
  • beckyschanging
    beckyschanging Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    OK!!! DeeDee :flowerforyou: I read your post, got up and got the old fur man ready and took a walk/run. I moved while he smelled the roses and got in my fastest time and longest "run" of my life, even though I was running for less than a mile. All said, I did 1.4 miles in about 18 minutes so I am happy! I'll weigh tomorrow and see how I did this week. Have a terrific day.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good Saturday morning from chilly, cloudy Portland. Brrrrrr. Winter is arriving just about on schedule. I stopped by the gardens yesterday to pick some red chard and Brussels sprouts, we haven't had a hard frost yet. I'd sure like to get down there this weekend and do some cleanup work, we'll see. The garden beds at the house need some attention, too. But more important is getting my packages of jams wrapped and ready to ship next week, and finish up making holiday cards.

I've had a darned headache for 3 days and not a lot of spunk. There's something going around, the gal who works in the office next to my lesson studio told me yesterday she's not been feeling well either, and her boss was out sick for a couple of days. So I'm not only doing battle against the buldge, but now against the bug as well. Last night I started taking my all-time favorite cure-all combo of goldenseal, cayenne and zinc along with Emergen-C. I've been walking the dogs as usual, but haven't been getting good workouts. Body telling me to rest a bit. I'm achy all over this morning.

This week I finally bit the bullet and reset my ticker from 69 lost to 65, showing the 4 extra lbs that have decided to stick with me for a few months now. It was difficult to swallow the pill, but in order to keep myself in the saddle I figured I may as well fess up and admit I've been eating too much. The fun part is that I was able to log a pound lost yesterday, finally, after all this time. Granted, it's one of the same pounds I lost before, but still. It's never too late to start over.

Wishing everyone well, and a very happy weekend!

:smile: jb
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Wow I was here just yesterday I came early and took notes. So now i'm finished the kitchen went to grandsons hockey pratice he's only four. Got on wii and he smiled. Guess it's true that your body needs to get used to the new style of eating. Keeping it low today going for a Christmas supper not to worried i'll have hubby have a couple pain pills and he'll want to dance the night away. He'll suffer tomorrow but i'll have had fun. lol.

Deedee
    Bowling I quit when the ninety year olds bowled better than me and that's when I was fifty five. Not the reason they had bowled most of their lives. I had hurt my knee and just never went back.
    I don't believe i could buy a Turkduckon here and i'm not about to stuff three birds. But I imagine the grease from the duck would make the other two dry birds moist.
    So I don't think you would do good walking in some of our winter weather.
    Remember to always have your shots in the arms you use the least.

Gail
    Well if it's a sodium gain you will wash it out by tomorrow.
    In this house it's the dining room table that has no top lol.

Katla
    Try chewing gum it helps with altitude.
    If nothing else at the spa go sit in the hot tub. I imagine they would have that.
    Nice feeling in smaller clothes.
    Snowmachines are not my thing neither. Even if we live in snow country. I'll leave it for the tourists.

BJ
    Darn geese beautiful animal but all they do is poop and eat. Shouldn't have no weight problem.

Kathy
    Great loss. And yes we need to reflect on the reason for the season.

Wessecq
    A little loss is always better than no loss.

Texas girl
    Nice loss. No junk in my house this Christmas. Hubby asked if i'd be upset if he didn't buy any. Of course I thanked him for it.

M
    I find when I entertain there's no time for me. I usually sit when all the dishes are done. Then I can enjoy the evening. But never sit and enjoy the meal.
    Yes M was time the scale showed a loss but I wasn't about to give up guess it's right the body needs to adjust to the lower calories.

RJ Adams
    Everyone has crazy days. Especially at this time of year.

Tigress
    Good luck at your studio

Annie
    Sounds like you have Christmas under control.
    Enjoy supper tonight that sure is different fish and chips.

Renny
    Surprising how many calories and carbs in very little pasta. I'm staying away from it for awhile.
    If I make spaghetti i'll have my sauce on spaghetti squash.

Wessecq
    I didn't know there was recipes calling for Pomelo I always eat it like that. I had one last night couldn't eat any of the skin so darn tough.

Tobeslim
    Wish I had the answer are you eating a lot of fat meats.

Laura
    Standing for hours baking is all exercise especially if you turn on the music and wiggle your behind while stirring.
    I have a lot of different programs for the wii. Wii fit + is a good one. Wii active if you are really into it. My shape.
    I like the dancing ones I have two of those. Babysitting grandkids I love it.

Jane
    So nice of you to think of the special needs especially at this time of year.

Michele
    That's how they do the funerals up here in Northern Ontario not all mind you. But those who had warning that they were losing a loved one.
    I very seldom bake birthday cakes anymore we are all adults with weigh problems don't need it.
    Find an empty wine bottle for your water put a little food colouring in it and no one will be the wiser lol.

Well didn't get them all but will be back later if time allows. right now going to hand hem a pair of dress pants for party tonight. Was thinking of wearing a dress I bought one especialy for the party. But I told hubby I don't think i'll feel comfortable so he said don't wear it then. I hate you in black anyhow. I will try and return it after the holidays. Don't think i'll ever be comfortable in it.
    So had another wii loss this morning. Hope he continues to smile.
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    @Lin - you said: "If I make spaghetti i'll have my sauce on spaghetti squash". How do you prepare the spaghetti squash? Could you describe what to do?

:flowerforyou: I lost 4.5 lbs of the extra 8 I had gained over top of my previous high. I've been up and down the last 3 years. Not good:grumble: :grumble: I was doing really well this first week, until DH made spaghetti. Grrrr. Brought everything to a grinding halt.

But I want to remain focused. Weight loss does not work for me if I lose focus, that has been a proven fact for me. It's not as though it is not already hard enough, duh :bigsmile:

:smile: Regarding the many posts on this forum - I have been on and off it for the last 3 years. Sometimes there are many posts and sometimes not. I love reading them and have long determined I can't respond to everyone individually. Yet I love it when people do and I see my name!! :love: So, kudos to those who do respond to individuals; and to those who don't: guilt trips get us nowhere, so let it go. Guilt is likely one of the reasons why we gain weight!

@Amanda - I love hearing from you from across the pond.

This is the weekend, so I will be checking in more often. Have a great Saturday.

:heart: Rebel
  • glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Well, I have to admit, I have skipped over pages and skimmed a few - just can't keep up with the reading during this busy season! But even at that, I have gained a few 'gems' to keep me motivated. So thanks ladies for the encouragement and your faithfulness and dedication.

The christmas dinner at my mother in law's seniors lodge last night may have ruined me for a week or so. We just moved her here last May and I have been very impressed with the facility - and dinner last night was confirmation!! Salad with crab cakes and edible flowers, tenderloin steak and stuffed lobster, raspberry cheesecake - delish!! Now back to behaving!

I hope each of you is able to find time away from the busyness and chaos to enjoy this lovely season. Nancy, I loved your thoughts on Advent - the preparation of our hearts and anticipation of blessing! So find that cup of spicy christmas tea and a cozy spot with music and lights - and breathe deeply and enjoy your rich blessings!

Merry Christmas all
    Glenda
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,168 Member
    Options
    Wishing you all a happy day and a blessed Christmas season. I have read all the posts and I too admit defeat---I just cannot reply to everyone although I would like to. I wish all of us success during this season of eating...............

Lin

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I went shopping for a dress today and didn't find anything. I just don't know where to shop now that I don't have to go to the "women's" section. It seems like everything else is made for the 21 year olds. I did find one I liked...and it looked GOOD...except for the "love handles" that I still need to get rid of. Oh, well. I'll try again another day.

It's great to see so many of us posting losses this month. It's a hard time to not gain, let alone lose.

Relax a little and enjoy the wonderful seasons of Advent and Christmas.

Eileen
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday. We slept in, had lunch out at a restaurant that has been around since 1901, then went north of town to several Christmas tree farms and finally found a gorgeous 8' Norweigan spruce for our office. Now every room has a tree and tonight we are decorating! All in all a pleasant day except DD#2 is still not speaking to me.

After dinner, DD#1 went to put cookies in the oven and there was last night's casserole...blech!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I made one comment about when you clean the kitchen, you know what was cooked and you need to find what it was cooked in (DD#2 cleaned). As soon as I left she told hubby "That is NOT my fault". So they are going to have a little talk now...the one that goes "You are 20, you can leave any time, but if you choose to stay here...." etc. ***Heavy sigh...where's the wine? LOL

See you all tomorrow; too much going on right now to respond to all although I read each post. I'm grateful to know each of you. Meg
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    carolmsb - thanks for the interesting info about the duckpin bowling. Now I'm not so dumb (at least in this regard)

barbie - now how could your line dance be anything less than perfect when they had such a fantastic leader??????? Glad you had such a good time

Amanda - good news for your dad! Big congrats on the three years!!!!

DeeDee - would an above ground pool be as much work as an inground one?

katla - I know that I for one am now in the process of holiday baking. Normally, I don't make snickerdoodles, but I made some today for the holidays (I'll just keep them in the freezer)

jb - LOVE your pic! Feel better fast. Sounds like you're taking care of yourself

Did an hour of yoga today. Tomorrow I'm planning to do the hula hoop on the Wii. Not sure yet if I'll do some jump rope or not, I probably should since it's the Newcomers holiday party and that means that I may eat more. but I am going to try to be careful of what it is I'm eating. Problem is that when people bring things, they are usually high fat.

Lin - someone else mentioned bringing an empty wine bottle filled with water. Now I just need to find one!!!! What a great idea! Wait a minute-- I think Jessica has one in her room down here, let me go check. Oh, yes, I just found it. It was behind some things. I had read in Cooks Illustrated that when making thumbprint cookies, to use the cork from a wine bottle so all the indentations are the same size and in the middle. I even have a cork. Wish I still had that bottle that Bryan gave me, that would be way cool -- a bottle in French! But the one I have will suffice.

M - in case I misled you, it's not me that has IBS. Jessica is "dating" this guy who has it and I'm thinking that he might wind up coming down here (or we'll go up there, but I prefer they come down here as she's just renting in a townhouse with others and I feel like I'm intruding). I love to cook and bake (as you know), so I'd like to be sure to make things that he can eat. I just had a bad case of diarrhea (real bad) yesterday. Today, no diarrhea, but my stomach doesn't quite feel right. The thing that Vince really likes that I make is chocolate. He does like his fried food -- but he only gets that when he goes out, I never cook it.

Eileen - look in the "misses" section of the stores. They usually have a lot there. Wish I could wear some of it but I need petite sizes and the petite depts are usually so very small. I hear ya about not wanting to look like a 20 year old. Sometimes I can get things in the juniors dept but I have to be careful, most of the things there, even tho they fit me, look very youngish and I'm not 20 anymore! You'll get there.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    hi, just found this thread. i am 54 - been using MFP for a month. I finally got menopause under control! It sucks, when I turned 50 - i couldn't sleep, i gained 10 lbs and i stopped being active. Last month, I started walking, eating much better and lost 17 lbs since August! Yea!

Now my goals for december are to keep doing the couch to 5K every other day and walk 10,000+ steps a day
    Keep bringing healthy lunches to work
    Keep losing to reach my 1989 weight of 126 lbs - I might have to change that goal becuase I can not live on 1200 calories a day
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I was working out everyday to Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition-The Workout with Chris Powell. I did level 1 for most of November. But my knees hurt really bad during squats so I talked to my doctor about it and asked him if I kept doing it, would it get better. He said that strengthening my muscles would help but doing squats would not make it better, but worse. He told me to keep doing the video but not the squats. So I did. Then I decided I was ready for level 2. It was much more strenuous but I liked it. I talked to the PT at my school and she suggested I do wall sits in place of the squats to strengthen my muscles. But level 2 hurt me in most of the exercises. I kept doing it anyway hoping it would get better. It kept getting worse. So I skipped a day and I felt so much better the next day. I've had a hard time making myself do the video now because I really don't like pain! I walk when I can but I'm afraid I've become a bit sedentary. I guess I just need to find something less stressful to my knees. I'm really sad about it!
    Hope everyone has a blessed Christmas season!
    Nancy from Tennessee
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Had a nice time with a special needs group at the church.We made them fleece scarves in our knitting group.The faces on them was priceless.Had a nice time.
    Have a good week-end.
    HUGS
    jane
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Busy shopping day today. Hoped to get everything bought and wrapped but alas, still a few to go.
    DeeDee - my dr said I was taking 1/2 of the lowest dose of synthroid and blood test showed mine was high so I'm going to stay off for 6 weeks and redo blood test. We'll see.
    My brain isn't working too well tonight but I did read all the posts. It is so exciting to see what a vibrant community this group has become. Thanks to everyone for their contributions.
    I'll do better tomorrow. BTW we ate lunch out today and mine came with an ice cream Sunday. Gave mine to DH and I took a taste. It was so sweet I didn't even want anymore.
  • jap8085
    jap8085 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the message boards. There is a group of us lead by our fearless, motivating, energetic BOOT CAMP leader and we are doing the following challenges for December. 1. Log 100 miles (can be walking, biking, swimming, eliptical, etc). 2. From Dec 7-Jan7 weight loss (% of body wt lost). So my goals for Dec are:
    1. Log 100 miles minimum
    2. 2 lbs/wk loss
    3. Have a plan for the holiday parties
    4. Work out 4-5 days/wk
    5. Enjoy family and friends.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I am grumpy and cranky all ready today. Scale was up +2.5 this morning and I have no idea why. Internet is acting up, been on this thing for over an hour just trying to log my food for the day:explode: ! I`ve also been up since 4:45 this morning...my tiara I believe will be a bit crooked today and the guys better watch out!

Hope everyone has a better day than the way mine has started out! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: (I`ve already had 4 big glasses this morning), and log your food!!!!

Hugs,
    Grumpy DeeDee:sad: