December Walking Challenge

Options
This is continued from previous Walking Challenges, but its nice when each month has its own thread.

*** Anyone can join in at any time, the more the merrier, lets keep each other motivated****

Walking seems like the easiest way to start getting exercise, and even if you can't track distance (or don't want to), tracking time is good too...go for a 10 min walk after dinner, or up it to 30 minutes, you'll be amazed at the end of the month how much more exercise your getting in. :)

Check in everyday with how far you walked or how long, this is just to motivate us to get in at least some exercise everyday, and keep an eye on each other.

I want to try to keep this mostly to walking or walking type exercising. treadmills and ellipticals are A-OK.

Hope to see some more faces in this challenge, we'll start tracking December 1st.

Replies

• carolmsb
    carolmsb Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I hope to do a combination of stationary bike and walking. I'm being really conservative though. So I hope to walk 30 minutes 3 days a week. Not much- but three times more than I have been doing.:tongue:

Edited to add that I will be walking outside as opposed to the bike inside.
  • moonracer3
    Options
    I'm in again and since I beat last month's goal by a wee little bit I'm going to up it this month and shoot for 300 miles. I'll post todays steps/miles tomorrow sometime.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Since I actually saw this on the 1st of the month...I think I will join in. Most of my exercise consists of walking either outside with the dog, or inside on the treadmill when the weather is nasty. On the treadmill I try to do a little jogging as well. I will use the mileage reported on my fitbit.

December 1 4.64 miles - 11,103 steps (30 min. dog walk; 60 minute treadmill)

Cheers, Carole
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Yay a challenge I can participate in since walking will b my main form of exercise for awhile. I even already did 60 min today (was feeling energetic). My goal is to walk a min of 30 min 4 times a week.

Edit- "walking" on the elliptical anyway since we r right in the middle of a good old Canadian winter lol
  • carolmsb
    Options
    health walk Sat. Dec 1st and Sunday Dec. 2nd. Will proabably do walking on weekend when I have time to be outside during daylight, and stationary bike during week.
  • Kristen_nicole95
    Kristen_nicole95 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'll do it (:
  • moonracer3
    Options
    First day of new monthly challenge I keep tabs on everything via my fitbit.

12-1 26,944 steps 10.88 miles
  • daveinlancs
    daveinlancs Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm in again.

Total for December - 11.02 miles

1/12 - 3.82
    2/12 - 7.2
  • swonn
    swonn Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    12/1--2.5 miles
    12/2--2.5 miles
  • moonracer3
    Options
    12-2 65,100 steps 26.65 miles
  • swonn
    swonn Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    12/1--2.5 miles
    12/2--2.5 miles
    12/3--3 miles
  • soontobetoned
    soontobetoned Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a post operation check up tomorrow, after 12 days surgery, I am really looking forward to doing some activity and I believe walking will be the only form he will suggest, so |I am looking forward to posting my progress.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I'll join! I"m also recovering from a major shoulder surgery 3 weeks ago and I'm sure walking and recumbent stationary bike will be all I'm allowed to do for a few months.

The challenge for me will be taking it slow and steady. I tried a 3.5 mile walk yesterday and it wore me out for the day. I had to stop during a small hilly part and sit down as I felt like I was going to be sick. My body was just not ready to handle the energy output yet and I paid the price for it.

My goal will be a 30 minute walk every other day, perhaps increasing towards the end of the month depending how I feel.

12/1 -- 3.5 miles (75 mins)
    12/3 -- 1 mile (20 mins)
  • hen1946
    hen1946 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Count me in. I have been walking for 2 months and joined MFP almost 1 month ago. I walk outdoors ( intill the snow flies) for 40 minutes at a good clip (3.5 mph on my husband's GPS). At least I think its a good clip being an amateur at this. I do not eat my calories from exercise back
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Count me in again.....

December 3 - Strength training 25 mins.
  • carolmsb
    Options
    Walked around the grocery store for 40 minutes looking for treats from Baltimore to send to daughter in Alaska. Does that count?
    BTW I finally asked directions for one item (are we allowed to mention specific foods?) and told cashier I'd be right back as I went to fetch them. HA! I " hurried" slower than some people walking. SIGH
  • carolmsb
    Options
    Count me in again.....

December 3 - Strength training 25 mins.

I'm interested in strength training- tell me more!! Thanks
  • jesusislove1526
    jesusislove1526 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm in again. Setting my goal for 1200 minutes, which may increase as time goes on.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    December 1 4.64 miles - 11,103 steps (30 min. dog walk; 60 minute treadmill)
    December 2 3.59 miles - 8,594 steps

December 3 4.31 miles - 10,053 steps
  • moonracer3
    Options
    12-3 33,338 steps 14.3 miles