Wheat - Unhealthy or just evil?

Options

Replies

• professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options

5.Gluten has been strongly associated with cancer. It is potentially cancer causing, but at least cancer promoting.
    WGA (wheat germ agglutinin)

Everything we eat causes cancer. Oh, nevermind: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2012/11/27/ajcn.112.047142.abstract.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Um, wheat in the form of whole grain and moderation (like anything) is perfectly healthy.

YOUR SCARE TACTICS DON'T WORK ON ME.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    The only wheat I don't eat is the one with mold on it.

I have an allergy to penicillin. Doesn't mean everyone should stop using it.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Um, wheat in the form of whole grain and moderation (like anything) is perfectly healthy.

YOUR LACK OF EVIDENCE IN NUMERICAL ORDER TACTICS DON'T WORK ON ME.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I'm curious why all the hate on wheat but not on, say, carrots. Or any of the cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower). Or chickens. All of which are INCREDIBLY mutated from their wild form.
    Oh, but there was a post hating on carrots..... (Just curious as to carbs in carrots being higher than she thought was OK)

And I would hate on Brussels sprouts if someone tried to make me eat them.

Brussel sprouts... yummmmmmmmmmmm.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I read several major reports by big research organizations and I am thuroughly convinced that consuming wheat is unhealthy in every way. So I ask you, is wheat unhealthy or just plain evil? Thoughts?

I don't eat grains.
    But you won't make any friends not eating grains here. Grains are the crack cocaine of the general MFP forum user. To each their own, but I'm free from that addiction.

It's cute that you think grains = crack. Maybe you've never actually seen a crack addict?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm curious why all the hate on wheat but not on, say, carrots. Or any of the cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower). Or chickens. All of which are INCREDIBLY mutated from their wild form.

Yeah, brussel sprouts and cauliflower are both pretty nasty. You may as well smoke crack, amirite?
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m08k9z0OKD1r21wk1.gif

and

tumblr_lry0l9eRhR1qmczo7.gif
  • anodyness
    anodyness Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I avoid all grains and sugar at least 90% of the time! I'm mostly guilty of getting wheat in the form of homebrewed beer, but I haven't purchased any grain-based products in six months and I have no intentions of ever doing it again. All the carbs you need can come from non-starchy veggies. Since I stopped eating grains and sugars, I've dropped at a steady pace and feel healthier than I ever did while dieting and eating grains.
    Don't be afraid of the low-carb haters! There are lots of us on here who don't eat grains, we're just hard to find :)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    For me, wheat is unhealthy. I have an intolerance to it, so whenever I eat it, I get sick.

For my aunt, wheat is evil. She has Celiac's disease, so if she were to eat it, it would eventually kill her.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    TLDNR
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

I put mercury in my salad dressing to make it shinier. Everything in moderation!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Can you cite a source for this information?
  • craigineson
    craigineson Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I put mercury in my salad dressing to make it shinier. Everything in moderation!

What are the macros for that?
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I eat wheat straight off the field. **** that refined ****. Grazingforlifewhat?
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you are going to find reports of every kind to suit whatever it is that you want to attack. Seriously. You can find articles saying almost every food group is unhealthy. If we always go by that, we would have to eat air... and even that is polluted and unhealthy in most places. So do your research, but take everything with a grain of salt.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I eat wheat and have never had any adverse effects from it. People who have an intolerance to it or Celiac's disease should avoid wheat....the rest of us should go to the kitchen immediately and make a sandwich!
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options

:laugh: I love it when someone with a sense of humor gets a hold of these posts!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

It's zero calories!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options

This.

Gawd.