Wheat - Unhealthy or just evil?

Options

Replies

• WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Grains are not bad for you, that's ridiculous. In this day and age you can find a ton of information supporting AND bashing just about any subject you feel like investigating.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    It is not hard for me to believe that wheat, which has been messed with genetically, can cause us problems.
    I'd love to see heirloom grains be the normal wheat we usually eat.
    I strive to buy breads which I perceive to be high quality, and fermented if possible.
    Miltons seems to be a good brand.
    I also eat sourdough.
    I purchase my breads from Trader Joe's, as they have the best price/taste/quality IMO
    I would be interested to know the source of the wheat which I end up eating.

I would not agree that we are not supposed to eat grains, including wheat.
    But I think that the FDA, food companies, government in general, and whoever else, should stop messing with our foods ARRGH!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

5.Gluten has been strongly associated with cancer. It is potentially cancer causing, but at least cancer promoting.
    WGA (wheat germ agglutinin)

Everything we eat causes cancer. Oh, nevermind: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2012/11/27/ajcn.112.047142.abstract.

Nice one!

Except that I'd quibble with calling 0.05 > P ≥ 0.001 weak evidence of statistical significance. 0.05, sure, but 0.001? In either case, effect size would probably be a better metric for this purpose. /{geeky rant no one cares about}
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Some people are allergic to the sun. Should I stay inside?
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Stay away from "Enriched Wheat Flour" and you'll be fine.

Enriched means it was bleached and all the nutrients are gone.

Wheat Flour is still white crap

Whole Wheat, Multigrain, etc are healthy - not evil.
  • craigineson
    craigineson Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I put mercury in my salad dressing to make it shinier. Everything in moderation!

What are the macros for that?

It's zero calories!

Thanks bro. I owe you for that information. Forget the avocado oil, I'm all about the health benefits of mercury.

5.Gluten has been strongly associated with cancer. It is potentially cancer causing, but at least cancer promoting.

Everything we eat causes cancer. Oh, nevermind: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2012/11/27/ajcn.112.047142.abstract.

Nice one!

Except that I'd quibble with calling 0.05 > P ≥ 0.001 weak evidence of statistical significance. 0.05, sure, but 0.001? In either case, effect size would probably be a better metric for this purpose. /{geeky rant no one cares about}

I care.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you are going to find reports of every kind to suit whatever it is that you want to attack. Seriously. You can find articles saying almost every food group is unhealthy. If we always go by that, we would have to eat air... and even that is polluted and unhealthy in most places. So do your research, but take everything with a grain of salt.

NO!! NOT SALT!!!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

Nice one!

Talk of P-values gets me excited.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    My only complaint is that they don't GMO wheat to solve more issues. MOAR GMO!!!!!
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I think the whole 'gluten is evil' (or bad for you, whatever) theory stems from so many processed foods contain gluten which is the real issue. Unless you have a sensitivity, I don't believe gluten is bad for you.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    <
    one year of wheat consumption = wheat belly

really sorry to see you go downhill when you added wheat to your diet.

Stay safe in 2013.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    It is not hard for me to believe that wheat, which has been messed with genetically, can cause us problems.
    I'd love to see heirloom grains be the normal wheat we usually eat.
    I strive to buy breads which I perceive to be high quality, and fermented if possible.
    Miltons seems to be a good brand.
    I also eat sourdough.
    I purchase my breads from Trader Joe's, as they have the best price/taste/quality IMO
    I would be interested to know the source of the wheat which I end up eating.

I would not agree that we are not supposed to eat grains, including wheat.
    But I think that the FDA, food companies, government in general, and whoever else, should stop messing with our foods ARRGH!

^^^ this. I don't have a problem with grain but it really annoys me that hardly anything we eat now hardly resembles what we spent thousands and thousands and thousands of years evolving to eat. Lol that being said I will take what I can get and look for what feels like the healthiest option for me when and where I can...
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

Nice one!

Talk of P-values gets me excited.

I feel a T test should have been used instead.
  • SorchaEilis
    SorchaEilis Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Neither. It's actually just fine for you.

The 'evidence' that wheat causes inflamation is bogus, unless you have an allergy or celiac disease.

And there is no government conspiracy working to force us into grain consumption. I work for the government, and we don't get any large quantity of whole grains, wheat or otherwise, in our dining facilities. Grain IS fairly cheap to produce and it's reasonably nutritious, so it makes sense that it's mass produced to feed people.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    My only complaint is that they don't GMO wheat to solve more issues. MOAR GMO!!!!!

Maybe they could GMO it to remove gluten?
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    <
    one year of wheat consumption = wheat belly

really sorry to see you go downhill when you added wheat to your diet.

Stay safe in 2013.

Lmao funny :P
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I will cut you.

^^ bahahaha!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    If white bread is bad for you and wheat bread is evil, what the heck am I supposed to make a friggin' sandwich out of???
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I've been eating wheat and wheat-related products for more than 20 years, hasn't bothered me. Same with my sister, parents, and grandparents. They have not had any health issues related to wheat comsumption.

Obviously you should avoid wheat if you're allergic to it. I have to do this with dairy products since I'm lactose intolerant. But to say any food is "evil" is ridiculous. The only thing that's evil is yourself. And by yourself I mean a person in general, and their choices and portion sizes of what they eat. You're your own enemy when it comes to food.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Maybe they could GMO it to remove gluten?

Or we could GMO some bacteria to take in pill form and eat the gluten right from our bellies. That way bread will still have a delicious chewy texture. :)