The keys to MY success!

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
I posted this on another thread of mine but it got kind of lost..and I wanted to make sure those that wanted advice from me were able to find it.

I have gotten a lot of emails asking how I did it. My life has been all sorts of hectic lately..but I wanted to respond! I am not an expert by any means. I just know what worked for me and I didn't suffer or starve either. I do want to educate myself further and pursue nutrition as a career though.

Honestly, when I started in September of 2007...the thought of all the weight I had to lose was SO daunting. And I had lost weight before but didn't do it the right way. So, I had a 9 month old son (at the time) and was huffing and puffing and had no energy. Also, my mother and maternal grandmother died young. (my mom was 50 and my grandmother was 49). So, I just said "Ok,, if I am going to do this, it has to be done a way I haven't done it before.). That started my "Take it a day at a time" approach.

I slowly started to make changes and ease into a new way of living. I didn't put pressure on myself to know how to do everything overnight. When you do that, you burn out and give up. I just made one change (like cut calories)...then once I got used to doing that and counting them...I started paying closer attention to where the calories were coming from. Once I got used to that, I started paying attention to the specifics...fat, fiber, sodium, etc. I also eased into exercise. I started doing what I could do..maybe 20 minutes on the elliptical...and slowly worked up. Again, I didn't want to burn out.

Also, if you are on this site, you have internet access. There is SO much information out there. I love Web MD, etc..for articles. And I love Cooking Light.com for recipes. Just search for whatever information you are seeking and it's most likely out there. Just make sure it's a legit website.

I started to pay attention to how food affected me. I would see how whole grains, lean protein, good fats, etc..would keep me "fueled" and going longer than other things. It kept my blood sugar level and kept me satisfied. And let's face it. If we are feeling satisfied, we aren't as likely to overeat.

For example, a whole-grain english muffin, with egg whites, a bit of 2% shredded cheddar and a little salsa....would keep me going. Then maybe a banana mid-morning. I was barely hungry by 1:00...sometimes 2:00!! If I ate a sugary cereal, I'd be hungry in an hour.

Get out of that "fat-free" frame of mind. I was doing it. Fat free cheese chicken breast only. I finally understood that fat is just as important to our diet as anything else. They are called "essential fats" for a reason. I started doing 2% and having chicken THIGHS sometimes. I also ate plenty of peanut butter. And guess what? I still lost the weight. You don't gain weight by eating too much fat. You gain weight by eating too much of ANYTHING. It's just about being sensible.

One thing I had read early on is that one of the traits of naturally thin people is that they do have fun and do have junk and fun foods. They just don't do it every day. For some reason, as simple of a concept as that is...I had never felt confident that I could be that way. I was always afraid that one night of fun would lead to me going back to that way of living every day. I decided to take on that challenge! I started my "Journey" in Sept of 2007. I enjoyed holiday foods and fun stuff once in awhile. And sure, my loss that week might not have been great and I may have even maintained....BUT...I just kept on going. Didn't let it get me down. And sure enough, I kept on losing and doing my thing. And every time I did enjoy some fun foods, etc...and got back on track the next day, my confidence increased and I realized it didn't have to be all or nothing. Now obviously that isn't going to work for everyone. You just need to find what YOU think you can do. If you aren't at that place yet...then wait until you are.

Now, regarding calories. I NEVER ate as low as 1200. The lowest I got was 1400 on non-gym days. And when I worked out, I ate at least half of them back. That was at least 4 days that I was eating A LOT. And by eating foods that would fuel me, even the 1400 cal days were fine. It's all about WHAT you are eating. Fiber is your friend. Women should have at least 25 g a day and men should have at least 30. And fiber is what keeps you feeling full. It makes it easy to put your fork down and push your plate away saying "ugh!! I'm stuffed!!!" haha!

Basically, it's a trial and error deal. Everyone is different. You need to figure out the right combo of food and exercise that will work for YOUR body. But give yourself that time to experiment a bit and find out. And realize that you don't have to starve and suffer to do this. I didn't! And the best thing is when you are out, enjoying yourself...eating junk once in awhile, there are those that like to be petty and say "Ohhh, she's going back to her old ways"....but it is YOU that will have the last laugh when you continue to lose weight and be healthy ANYWAY..and they sit there

Exercise. I started at 20 min on the elliptical, level 3. I slowly worked up. When it started to feel too easy, I would add 5 min and bump it up a level. Now, I easily do over an hour at level 19. When exercise starts to feel too easy, it means your body isn't working as hard. So, if you hit a plateau, it can be as simple as switching something up in your routine. Maybe hop on the bike instead or treadmill or do Wii....or try some zumba classes. Keep your body guessing.

Weighing. I weighed once a week. On Thursday morning, naked. :) It was a good day for me. If there is going to be a time when you are going to eat "out of the norm" stuff, it is the weekend. And even if you stay in your calories...sodium can wreak havoc on the scale. By giving yourself a few days to get it out of your system...you are going to have a more accurate weigh-in. BUT, the scale is a horrible way to determine success. It's just not a good way to tell how you're doing. Every little thing can make you gain or lose. And it just messes with your head.

Water. I drink at least 72 ounces a day. Generally more. I start my day with 24 ounces. I sip it while making coffee and doing a few things. I basically earn my cup of coffee by getting the water down first. And it sort of set the tone for the day. And not only does it help you feel full (when you think you're hungry), but it gives you an energy boost and makes your skin glow. Sometimes in the afternoon, an apple and a bottle of water is all it takes to give you energy, satisfy you and keep you going until dinner.

Get creative. Learn new recipes. Try new things you might not think you'll like. By branching out, you will stay interested and not get so bored with the same old thing. That being said, having certain staples around is helpful. Find what you like, keep it around but don't be afraid to try other things. I know people who said "What is hummus??"..who ended up "OMG, I LOOOVE it!!" It's a good source of protein too. ;)

Most importantly....give yourself a break. Don't put such high expectations on yourself to be perfect right away or not to mess up or do something you wish you didn't. The important thing is to not let it derail you. Just say "Ok..that's ONE day..not my life. I've got this!" Also, take it a day or week at a time. Don't focus on the bigger picture so much. Focus on the small, healthy losses. Trust me, they add up much faster than you think they will.

If you ease into this, give yourself a break, educate yourself on food, exercise, metabolism, body chemistry....pay attention to your body and just be sensible...this can become as normal to your day as brushing your teeth.

Hope this was helpful! :flowerforyou:
-Tam

Replies

5010 Posts: 59
    Options
    This is one of the best posts i have ever read a big T you ,this week i put on 1lb i have been so down and moody i now feel so much better reading about not being so hard on yourself
    Thanks again i feel ready to get back on the diet train and just get on with it
    Diane x:heart:
  • ATXrunner
    Options
    Many thanks for sharing your wisdom and inspiring others. =) Congrats on achieving your weight loss goal. Are there any other goals that you've set for yourself?
  • thricewiser
    Options
    Wow Tam! Thank you so much for posting this. I was on such a downer this morning when I jumped onto the scale and saw that nothing had changed, and this has cheered me right up!

Well done with everything that you've achieved. You're an inspiration to us all!

xxx
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Great post! Love to hear from someone who has lost such a large amount and who used to be in the same position I am now. It IS very daunting to look at the numbers and see that I have over 100 pounds to lose, but very encouraging to hear from those who have done it. Thanks!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    It's great to hear your story. Thanks for sharing.
  • beasy22
    beasy22 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This has to be the best post ever - thank you so much.

What fantastic and helpful tips, you've inspired and motivated me, thanks again.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Tam sweety, can you add your before and after here?

I am so very proud of you girl!!:love:
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    GREAT post, thanks for sharing! :flowerforyou:
  • txcwgirl
    txcwgirl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Tam,

Thanks for the words. I am feeling better about my bad days now. It has been a rough week and I was feeling down about it but your post has helped me remember that I can do this.

Thank you and I would also love to see before and after pictures.
  • CinthyNair
    Options
    I love this article Tam! You are a true inspiration, and some day I hope to share my own success story for all :)
  • QueenInge
    QueenInge Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You have learned well, grasshopper! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing.
  • missyannb85
    Options
    Thank you for sharing, I will keep this for inspiration when having a bad day!
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Great advice!
  • weebles
    Options
    Awesome sauce!!!!! :smokin:

What a GREAT post! This journey we are on is hard enough as it is without having to worry about "low carb", "low fat", "no fat", etc. I was putting SO much thought into what I should be doing it was driving me nuts! I believe the little changes we make define our road for success. Once we feel comfortable with those changes, we are encouraged to move on. And before you know it....it's a lifestyle.
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Wow!! How inspiring and wonderful!!! You are such a great influence to so many people on here....I think you should be a motivational speaker!!! :heart:
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    well said :) congratulations!
  • ErikaHope203
    ErikaHope203 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing what worked for you! I think you're absolutely right in that everyone is different and what works for one person might not work for the next. What I appreciated most about your post is your attitude! Your words were oozing with positive energy : ) I believe that so much of trying to lose weight is psychological. Your philosophy of taking it "one day at a time" is a great perspective to have because it can be so frustrating at times when one might feel that he/she has "messed up". Anyway, just want to thank you again for sharing and I wanted to let you know how truly inspiring it was to read your story <3
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Many thanks for sharing your wisdom and inspiring others. =) Congrats on achieving your weight loss goal. Are there any other goals that you've set for yourself?
    Hey!

Well, I hit my goal weight in January of 2009 and that same week, I found out I was pregnant with my 2nd son. So, I am 5 months post-baby now...and just working on toning and being aware of my body, etc. I don't weigh. I think the scale sucks! lol! I go by clothes, how I feel, etc. I hadn't gotten a chance to work at maintaining, etc..before I got pregnant. And that is as much of an "education" as anything else.

I am doing well though! And I've actually been trying to put on a bit of weight. In a controlled way. My shoulders, collar area felt too bony! So, I'm working out, cardio and weights..and making sure to eat plenty (protein, etc). And seeing what happens.

I can honestly say I am at the point that I don't fear food anymore. And I don't let it control me. I control IT!! :)
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    What an inspirational post! I just started on MFP and already love this site so much. Everyday I get up and literally start racking up excuses not to exercise. It's just the old unhappy me not wanting to commit to the hard work it's going to take to make the change. Yet once I log onto the site I feel like I have an obligation to do this. I CAN do this. Reading your post just puts it all into perspective and I'm going to check out cookinglight.com for some new recipe ideas! Congrats on all of your success and thank you for inspiring me today. You have my promise that I WILL workout and stay on track today!
  • TamTastic
    Options
    I'm so happy that you all find this so helpful! I was hoping to help! It makes my success that much sweeter!

Thanks for the positive feedback! :flowerforyou: :drinker:

:heart:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!