Planet Fitness sucks.

Options
So, I liked planet fitness... Until they took away the free weights. I can live with that...but now they won't allow you to enter if you have a sleeveless shirt. Is this serious? I'm a black card member and will be walking in without sleeves on my shirt to cancel my membership. It's just getting ridiculous now. How is that a "judgement free zone" when they constantly judge the "fit" people in the gym. I'm not fit by any means, and am insulted by this behavior. Even the slightest clink you will get "buzzed". It wasn't like this when I first joined..at least this bad. And it's definitely not what I'm looking for in a gym...and I don't know who else would. Has anyone else had a membership at PF and cancelled it for similar reasons?

Replies

• elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    No but I had already heard crap stories about this "gym". Hopefully you have another gym close to your area. If you have a Retro Fitness, I highly recommend it. It's 20 a month and none of this bs.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the one in this area didn't used to be this bad.

There's a new gym here that's called Xperience Fitness that acutally has a GYM, and has a pool and classes and stuff, and it's the same price as PF.

The only crappy thing is that it's on the west side of town and I'm on the far east, so it's a 20 minute drive, more depending on traffic :/
  • Tannerhalton
    Options
    They didn't take away the freeweights completely did they?!
  • db1106
    db1106 Posts: 42
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a joke.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    No sleeveless shirts? WTF?

I sweat like a mother and NOT wearing a sleeveless top would drive me nuts.

I'm so glad I only workout at home these days.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    Oh, and I only do free weights when it comes to strength training, so that would be a deal breaker for me right there. Sorry that's happening to you. :(
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    I can't wear long sleeves, that's just annoying when I work out, unless I'm running outside and it's a bit nipply lol. I'm from Wisconsin so I thrive in cold, so the colder the more comfortable, ESPECIALLY at the gym. I mean, who isn't?

I can't wear short sleeve shirts if I plan to go on the elliptical because I'm a clumsy idiot and always get my sleeves stuck on the handles and almost smack my face on the machine.

And they only have the smith machine and dumbbells up to 75lbs. It's crap.
    The ONLY good thing about it is they have gobs of cardio equipment.
    But they recently started doing "Free Fridays", which USED to be my favorite time to go, but now it's just freaking annoying. That irks my nerves that I'm paying money to work out there, and people are hogging the place who don't pay a cent. Maybe I'm just cynical but now I'm just pissy about everything they do haha.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Why would they do away with free weights?
    Free weights work the muscles differently than machines. There are several machines I can't use due to my shoulder.
    Besides, they don't even have a pool. So I'd never join.
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    Why would they do away with free weights?
    Free weights work the muscles differently than machines. There are several machines I can't use due to my shoulder.
    Besides, they don't even have a pool. So I'd never join.

They calim because it can be "intimidating". It's the same excuse they use to ban wearing sleeveless shirts. They don't even allow people to wear headresses for religious purposes or do-rags for people who need it to keep their hair from going crazy. The "judgment free zone" is like the stepping into the zone of judgment.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    I honestly get better results from free weights as opposed to machines. Sure, there's greater risk for injury with free weights if you don't know what you're doing, but if you know the correct form, the rewards are greater for the same amount of time you're there.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    That sounds INSANE!

I used to go to Planet Fitness in 2011, I didn't mind it but I once got reprimanded for setting down a 65lb dumbbell a bit more loudly than absolutely necessary.

I would never go to a gym that didn't have free weights or banned sleeveless shirts. I like to work out in a tank top so I can see more of what I'm working and the results in action, and plus having improved range of motion.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I looked into PF and was instantly turned off when I read the "rules". I like dead lifts and those are not allowed. Sometimes my weights clank when I'm doing chest flys, not allowed. I do grunt when I'm really pushing myself, not allowed.

Well I knew where I wouldn't be welcomed.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    . The "judgment free zone" is like the stepping into the zone of judgment.

Exactly. The equivalent of people who call themselves "pro-choice" then insult and berate anyone who who makes choices they don't approve of.
    A lot of that stuff going around.
    The Y I go to is a judgement free zone. The only "rule" is Rack Your Weights. The result is that the weight room at the Y has, on any given day, people 14 to 94. Fit and trying to get fit. No buzzers on the wall to flag people for being too fit.
  • RyanWilson1993
    RyanWilson1993 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It's all a scam they sale pizza and bagels to keep you fat, you can't deadlift, no grunting when lifting heavy IT'S BULL****!
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I used to have a membership there (for a very brief period) when I started working out again consistently this summer. It wasn't so bad at first and was cool for me to ease back into exercise or for a beginner to just get moving. Now, I don't feel the same anymore. It's definitely full of judgment for ANYONE who's at least slightly knowledgeable about fitness and it's certainly no place for a beginner to actually learn anything, it seems. The trainers I've seen don't even train anyone. They just write stuff down on a list and put you on a machine on your own. There are little to no freeweights depending on the location and they either prevent or ban heavy compound lifting under the guise of the "no judgment" excuse. I'm all for not making beginners feel intimidated in a gym setting. I think that's great since it's what puts a lot of people off from joining in the first place. however, I don't think that's what's really happening at PF. It seems more like the creator of the franchise is now taking out his past frustrations of being bullied or something on anyone who might want to lift on the heavier side.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    PF is an oxymoron name for the type of gym they run. Free weights contribute TOWARDS better fitness, so why take them away?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I skipped this one. I just recently joined a small women's only gym. But planet fitness was one of the ones on my list to check out. Sounds like I dodged a bullet.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a place for those who want to pretend they're getting in shape and say they "workout" but don't actually want to put forth any effort.
  • Hahaha I used to go to ao 24 hour one. It was 2am. Four people working out. On accident I set down a weight wrong, it made a loud noise. The buzzer went off. Are you serious??

It is pretty ridiculous to get ride of the free weights. I would cancel my membership too. It's like "hello, you paid for them already... why take them away?? where are they going? In the trash? I'll take them for you"
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    They're retarded.

I work out at Lucille Roberts. I pay about $15 a month. It's an all girls gym because I don't like men staring at me like I'm too incompetent and fragile to lift at the gym. I've gone to planet fitness a few times with my dad as his guest. Theres still freeweights there so that's odd. They almost didn't let me in as his guest because i forgot my ID.

They took my dad's ID in my place. Didn't make sense.