Planet Fitness sucks.

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Why would they do away with free weights?
    Free weights work the muscles differently than machines. There are several machines I can't use due to my shoulder.
    Besides, they don't even have a pool. So I'd never join.

They calim because it can be "intimidating". It's the same excuse they use to ban wearing sleeveless shirts. They don't even allow people to wear headresses for religious purposes or do-rags for people who need it to keep their hair from going crazy. The "judgment free zone" is like the stepping into the zone of judgment.

I go to Gold's and we're technically not supposed to wear bandanas, but I do and they never say anything. Other than that, for the price (I only go for weights), it's a great gym.

And I can promise no one would be intimidated by MY bare arms! lol

If this place ever came here, I would most definitely not join. I only ever hear negative about it.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    PF is a joke:

29F00D60-42E1-4C68-8AE0-357E2AFA290B-21673-000010B3C91F838D.jpg
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a place for those who want to pretend they're getting in shape and say they "workout" but don't actually want to put forth any effort.
    My dog eats your silly opinion sometimes.

1337575154hulk-smash-gif.gif
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    There's one opening in my town so I called to check it out. I was told they don't "cater" to weight lifters or bodybuilders. I asked what that meant: no grunting, no dropping weights - but she said that they do have free weights. Definitely not the kind of gym I want to be in.

I'm staying at Fitness 19. It's anywhere from $10-$19 a month depending on the promo. It has really nice free weights and you don't get shushed if you grunt.

ETA: NO DEADLIFTS?????
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    Claire's is full of Hello Kitty ****, and has nothing of interest to me.

Do I disparage anyone that does shop there, though? No.
  • ICarla
    ICarla Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm over planet fitness. Not for any of the reasons stated, but it just seems like they don't have the best equipment. In addition I would like a pool and classes. Unfortunately, its going to cost me more, but it will be worth it in the end. They do defeat the purpose with pizza night and they have a large jar of candy where you sign-in at. Its like damn what am I here for again?

I don't agree with the statement that people who go to PF don't want to work out....or whatever was said. But I do understand the point. Just wasn't articulated well. I go there to workout, although I may not push myself to the max because of the lame atmosphere....but mostly because of me I was being lazy. So if someone pretends to workout its just because of themselves. Not the gym
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    They do defeat the purpose with pizza night and they have a large jar of candy where you sign-in at. Its like damn what am I here for again?
    You're there to work out. Some folks manage to eat pizza and candy in moderation, live normal lives, and still work toward their fitness goals. You should try it! :flowerforyou:
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a place for those who want to pretend they're getting in shape and say they "workout" but don't actually want to put forth any effort.

Well let's see...I've taken 2 1/2 minutes per mile off my Half Marathon pace since going to PF and using the treadmills and other cardio equipment. I do also use the free weights, the circuit training area and the free trainer to help me with my upper body strength training. And apparently, I have done this (according to you) without putting forth any effort??? Damn! Think of where I could be if I went to your gym and did put forth the effort!!! Wow!

In regards to the OP's post...it would truly tick me off if my PF took away the free weights. I don't wear sleeveless shirts (yet), but can't imagine why people can't at your PF (they apparently can at mine). Those changes would irritate me.

And regards to the Pizza night...I only accidentally ended up there during pizza time once. It seemed to me that every senior citizen who belonged to the gym was there for the free food. LOL! It just made me laugh. I didn't even want to have any. Being sweaty and sitting down to eat just doesn't appeal to me.
  • ICarla
    ICarla Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    They do defeat the purpose with pizza night and they have a large jar of candy where you sign-in at. Its like damn what am I here for again?
    You're there to work out. Some folks manage to eat pizza and candy in moderation, live normal lives, and still work toward their fitness goals. You should try it! :flowerforyou:

I agree. But it's probably not a good idea to eat all of that grease and mess before you work out. Also, some people are trying to change their lifestyle and the pizza could be too enticing. I just think that a fitness facility would be more mindful of the treats they give out. Its about encouraging healthier eating. Not promoting fatness. You can eat pizza on your own time.
  • wolfpack77
    Options
    I use a small, locally owned gym close to my house which is also 24 hour. Free weights, machines, cardio area, womens only room - pretty much everything except a pool. Its not big at all but it gets the job done, and the crowd is small and friendly. Never more than 5 people in the gym at any given time and everybody's on a first name basis. That's the kind of environment I like to work out in. :smile:

Screw these big chain gyms.. they're business model is not to cater towards fit people. That wont get them memberships in large volumes. Its in their best interest to cater to the average unfit Joe who's maybe a little insecure about going into a regular gym with fit people around and working out. Thus the "judgement free" zone was born. Its a gimmick to get people in the door, and not about your health - as big business usually is.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    I agree. But it's probably not a good idea to eat all of that grease and mess before you work out. Also, some people are trying to change their lifestyle and the pizza could be too enticing. I just think that a fitness facility would be more mindful of the treats they give out. Its about encouraging healthier eating. Not promoting fatness. You can eat pizza on your own time.
    How is it more enticing than a fast food place in the same shopping center? Really, it boils down to one's own self-control, where ever they are.
  • rml_16
    Options

So don't go to the gym?

I mean, people know these things before joining, right? And there's no law that I'm aware of that says you have to join PF.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I gotta ask, what is the buzzer?

Kind like the Lifeguard whistle? I always wanna cram that whistle right up big buff guy's nose.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options

So don't go to the gym?

I mean, people know these things before joining, right? And there's no law that I'm aware of that says you have to join PF.
    ...or eat the pizza.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

I posit that pizza is an amazing pre-workout meal. Some carbs, some protein, and lots of energy-producing-fats.
  • rml_16
    Options

So don't go to the gym?

...or eat the pizza.

I have no self control when it comes to pizza. It is a fault, but it is what it is and I own it. But that doesn't mean PF can't offer that to those who want it. If people stopped joining because of it, they'd stop doing it. But clearly enough people are fine with it, so no big.

The closest one to me is a state away, anyway.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    They're opening one of those in my town in a couple weeks. Everyone is freaking out and joining because "IT'S ONLY $10 A MONTH!!!" Last I heard, there's been 950 people that have signed up.... ridiculous.

Remember, you get what you pay for. Don't come whining to me when there's 100,000,000,000 people at a time trying to use the same stuff.

Now go to Planet Fitness and leave me alone with my nice empty gym :laugh:
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options

So don't go to the gym?

...or eat the pizza.
    I have no self control when it comes to pizza. It is a fault, but it is what it is and I own it. But that doesn't mean PF can't offer that to those who want it. If people stopped joining because of it, they'd stop doing it. But clearly enough people are fine with it, so no big.

The closest one to me is a state away, anyway.
    I have little self control with pizza. Love the ****, but am never tempted when it's presented at PF. Why? Self-consciousness. I could care less that they have it there, though.
  • SylentZee
    Options
    I understand making it mandatory for all members to wear sneakers, obviously lifting weights in flip flops is a really stupid idea, but, having sleeveless shirts? Why?
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    drama-llama.jpg

:laugh: :drinker: