Planet Fitness sucks.

Options

Replies

• zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I just find it paradoxical that they boast a "judgement free zone", yet judge and discriminate against weight lifters.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    That's a flawed comparison. Are the folks in the gym all compulsive pizza eaters? Will eating a slice of pizza make one "fall off the wagon" and binge on pizza uncontrollably?

It isn't. Again, it's a FITNESS gym promoting unhealthy choices. Sorry, but I don't see how that 's right considering how overweight the population is (see my original post)
    [/quote]
    I see it more as an acknowledgement that one can improve one's fitness and still eat the occasional slice of pizza. It's once a month, and most member don't even touch it anyway.

Please....that's a stetch
    So, I take it that you ever eat pizza, bro?

I'm not your "bro". It's Mrs. to you, sweetheart. ;)
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I had a PF membership for a while. I can see why they are going for the business model they're going for - people who want to use free weights won't be happy there anyway, and so if you've got mostly people who are there to do cardio, do some light machine weights, and tan themselves, you're going to irritate most of them if you've got grunting and clanking going on.

Meanwhile, for people who only want to do cardio, light machine weights, and tan themselves, it's stupid to pay $100 a month for a gym with free weights, squat racks, a pool, a smoothie bar, and people lifting heavy, grunting, and dropping weights.

It's pretty simple - if you like using free weights and/or cannot work out without grunting and dropping weights, there are thousands of other gyms avaiable to you. They're up-front about what they will and will not accept, so if you don't like their rules, GO JOIN ANOTHER (better) GYM.

Likewise, if you are bothered by people making loud noises during workouts and only have $19 a month for your membership, go ahead and head over to PF. Then the grunters can grunt away at the grunty gyms without bothering anyone, and the grunt-sensitive folks can do their cardio and tanning at PF without getting all grunted and affronted.

Personally I dropped the PF membership and switched to a better gym that is fully equipped because it suits my needs and I don't care if people are loud. I suggest people join whichever gym suits them the best and move on with their lives. Seriously, heavy lifters have no business getting PF memberships anyway. Even before they took the free weights away, they did not have the facilities to support heavy lifting.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    A Planet Fitness just opened where I'm a gym rat and advocate working out. I say that it will work for some people but they have policies I don't agree with so I go to the meat head place that's locally owned and been around for 20+ years with benches, squat racks and heavy dumbbells.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i would never join PFitness
    i saw a sign on a planet fitness that said no deadlifting.
    Someone told me they have tootsie rolls on their counter as they leave and Pizza days once a month.
    it's for people who want to say they go to the gym but aren't serious.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    I'm not your "bro". It's Mrs. to you, sweetheart. ;)
    So, do you eat pizza, dude?
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    PF is a joke:

29F00D60-42E1-4C68-8AE0-357E2AFA290B-21673-000010B3C91F838D.jpg
    Lol, because deadlifting makes too much noise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Seriously? If I saw a sign like that in my gym I'd slap someone in the face. And flush it down the toilet.
  • Tracy_03311981
    Options
    I haven't read through the entire thread but I am a planet fitness member and I love the gym I go to. It is a fairly newer gym and is huge and actually has two free weight areas, one where the weights go up to the 65-70 lbs. and there is a smaller area where they have smaller weights 3 lbs., 5 lbs., 7.5 lbs., and they have the exercise balls and weight balls. I've never had an issue with the gym and I consider myself relatively fit. The staff is polite and nice and for $20.00 a month I don't expect to have complete fitness training, that's what you get a personal trainer for.
    The "fitness training" they provide is mostly for those who are new, who benefit more from using machines at first then hopefully working towards free weights. The gym I go to is busy all the time!
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options

Interestingly, people who are truly serious about fitness can get a great workout anywhere and with any type of equipment. Even without ever doing a Deadlift (gasp). I don't go to PF, but the idea that someone who is serious about their workout can't adapt to various circumstances is absurd.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Someone told me they have tootsie rolls on their counter as they leave and Pizza days once a month.

:angry:
  • Mell00546
    Mell00546 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My boyfriends friend was a long time member (gym was close to his house)... He was asked not to come back to the gym becuase he was to big (in shape) and was intimidating the other members!

P.S. My boyfriends friend is one of the sweetest guys ever. Not intimidating at all!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Options

hey cranky!!!!!! ill take you up on your offer! ;)
  • dualcollision
    dualcollision Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I will neeevvveeeerr eeevvvvveeerrr eeevvveerrr go back to PF again, Was there like 2-3 years ago and it was the worst exp ever and the people were just down right rude to the weight lifters. I hope they go out of business someday! I seriously can't stand that place!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I have toured 3 separate PFs in my area over the last year because I was told that not all locations were the same and I wanted to see for myself. I visited at peak times so I could get a feel for what the atmosphere was like. They were stocked to the gills with machines, but had limited free weights. There was candy on the counter and I managed to visit on pizza night at one of them. I like pizza. I eat it regularly, but I don't want to have to smell it while I am working out. The "lunk alarm" is just ridiculous. Calling someone out for dropping a weight or because they are putting forth too much effort for someone's liking and happen to make some noise is pathetic.

Based on my own observations I can not take a gym culture like this seriously. A gym should support their clients healthy habits and encourage improvement. They should not feed them candy and eliminate an entire method of training just because it might intimidate those who aren't brave enough to try it themselves.

Sorry if I hurt some feelings. I will admit that I made I very sweeping generalization, just as PF likes to stereotype those who lift.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    It sucks that so many people have had bad experiences, and I don't necessarily agree with everything PF does, but it's their business model and it works. However, it seems that I'm lucky with the PF I go to. There's a lunk alarm on the wall but I don't think it's EVER been used EVER. And we have a TON of free-weight lifting, large, muscly, body-building members who are regulars and I've never seen them being scolded or criticized. Not to mention, some of them have been extremely helpful and friendly.

For me, my PF works out perfectly. It's dirt cheap, I get access to a billion treadmills, which I need since I'm not supposed to run as much on hard paved surfaces, we still have free weights, I'm allowed to wear sleeveless shirts, and the people are nice.

If they start banning sleeveless at mine though, I think that would be a deal breaker for me!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Seriously? If I saw a sign like that in my gym I'd slap someone in the face. And flush it down the toilet.

Have you ever been to a gym that has a lot of people frequently deadlifting? I haven't.

But at one gym I used to go to, there was always one guy who insisted on just completely dropping the barbell after deadlifting. The noise was so loud that it was literally unbelievable. Morons like that are the reason places like PF ban all deadlifting instead of just dropping weights.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

Well I worked there and there was always ALOT of pizza thrown away. Most people dont eat it.

However, we had one member bring her kids in and hugged us and cried because she wasn't going to be able to feed her kids that night. She also had her water shut off and used our showers for her and her kids. I know what you are thinking, why does she have a membership right? Well it was 10 per month and she lived right behind our facility and when she signed up she had a job. Thanks to some investigating by the staff and some networking, she got a job.

The gym isn't perfect but just because there is pizza once a month and a bagel once a month don't act like everyone there is not serious. It is an insult. You know nothing about me or anyone that goes there I have lost over 100 pounds so I am not lazy.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Leave!!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Options

Well I worked there and there was always ALOT of pizza thrown away. Most people dont eat it.

However, we had one member bring her kids in and hugged us and cried because she wasn't going to be able to feed her kids that night. She also had her water shut off and used our showers for her and her kids. I know what you are thinking, why does she have a membership right? Well it was 10 per month and she lived right behind our facility and when she signed up she had a job. Thanks to some investigating by the staff and some networking, she got a job.

The gym isn't perfect but just because there is pizza once a month and a bagel once a month don't act like everyone there is not serious. It is an insult. You know nothing about me or anyone that goes there I have lost over 100 pounds so I am not lazy.

you are getting too defensive. all i said is someone told me they have pizza once a month.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    How is it more enticing than a fast food place in the same shopping center? Really, it boils down to one's own self-control, where ever they are.

Point is this is a FITNESS place that is promoting unhealthy lifestyle choices. Explain to me how that makes sense?

Kind of like serving booze at an AA meeting...

Your logic is completely flawed....WOW