Planet Fitness sucks.

Options

Replies

• kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    sleeveless? I go to Planet fitness and where sleeveless everyday!
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    What kind of a gym is that? Taking away free weights? That gym is going to go bankrupt in a year or so. Any business that doesn't value it's customers never lasts. We also have a gym franchise called Planet Fitness here in South Africa. It's not quite as bad as this one one but the service still leaves much to be desired. At least they have free weight and we can still wear sleeveless shirts. I worked there as a sales consultant for about three months and the things I witnessed were shocking. Members are constantly complaining that the gym deducts more than they agreed to pay, the reception staff is rude, when machines break they can go for days without being repaired. I can't even count how many members have cancelled their memberships since I joined. I plan to follow suit when I get a better paying job and can afford another membership with a better gym.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm sure in the contract they state that they have reserved the right to change the rules at their discretion.

I'll check at my location tonight.

Please stop yelling, we're just having and adult conversation where we're entitled to differences of opinion.

I didn't know you could yell through text? I'M NOT YELLING.
    I think they do to, but it'd be nice to hear about the change before kicking me out of the gym, you know?

I'm just annoyed that I'm being clumped in with these people who think it's absurd that they offer bagels,pizza, tootsie rolls, and such. Like I stated, I never had an issue with them before, and actually enjoyed the gym. Mine was much like yours. Idk if they're under new management or what, but it'd be nice to know of the rule change before driving there and getting kicked out. Talk about walk of shame... lol. And trust me my "guns" aren't anything to be intimidated over.

FYI. I accidentally pressed caps up there. Freudian slip maybe? lol, but really, I'm not yelling.

It might be worth your while to inquire about a management change or the reasons for the policy change. Maybe ask why you weren't informed about the changes and how you can be if it happens again? It's dangerous to assume.

I won't be the last to tell you this OP but you opened yourself up to any and everything when you posted about Planet Fitness Sucking and as such you will bear the consequences. It's the internet.

I don't eat the pizza, bagels or tootsie rolls but, I choose not to outside of the gym as well. They also have vending machines for water, sports drinks, fruit, etc. Though I may not agree or indulge; in their advertising, they do explain why they have those things there and offer them as a 'treat' for a job well done and it's once a month, not every single day. Everyone has a gimmick, no? Do you not reward yourself for attaining a goal?

Why you have no weights at your location is beyond me and if my location did that I would change gyms as well.

I think the problem originates in your sweeping title, "Planet Fitness Sucks"...many people on this site would count you lucky for being able to have access to a gym, or the time to work out...etc.

Why should she waste time talking to management when she could just join a real gym instead? They don't even let people wear workout clothes at her location and took away the weights. She may as well go work out in an elevator shaft. With bagels.

Just break up
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    They're opening one of those in my town in a couple weeks. Everyone is freaking out and joining because "IT'S ONLY $10 A MONTH!!!" Last I heard, there's been 950 people that have signed up.... ridiculous.

Remember, you get what you pay for. Don't come whining to me when there's 100,000,000,000 people at a time trying to use the same stuff.

Now go to Planet Fitness and leave me alone with my nice empty gym :laugh:

Yeah but 90 percent of the people who sign up will probably quit after 2 months, so crowds would probably only initially be a problem. :smile:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I understand making it mandatory for all members to wear sneakers, obviously lifting weights in flip flops is a really stupid idea, but, having sleeveless shirts? Why?

you saying that reminded me of this: :noway:

coco.jpg
  • JLand918
    JLand918 Posts: 156
    Options
    I had PF years ago and they were alot better overall then they are being run now. The people who run it now are going to run it into the ground.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i agree, i think it just might be your local PF. mine still has TONS of free weights and i wear a tank top there all the time. i've only heard the buzzer go off ONCE and i think it was the guy behind the counter playing a trick on somebody, because he was laughing after he did it, and so was the person that dropped the weights. i love PF!!! they know my friend and me by our names and numbers so we don't have to show our cards anymore when we come in the door.
  • LinsenNRoses
    LinsenNRoses Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness and don't have any complaints. It's only 10 dollars a month you honestly can't beat that! I have worn sleeveless shirts and see other people go sleeveless all the time. I've never heard the buzzer (I've been going there for 10 months now), and they still have free weights as well at the one I go to. And it's always clean! :happy:

16586181.png
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I like mine. Plenty of free weights, plenty of cardio equiptment, plenty of nice people who know me by name.

They have tootsie rolls but I've never seen pizza or bagels. I'm a big girl and know how to say no so I'd probably turn them down anyway.

Don't like it, don't join. But refrain from insulting others who chose to go.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I considered joining Planet Fitness when I was looking for a gym because the price sounded good. Then I discovered they had nothing I wanted/needed: convenient location, classes & trainers. Plus, I thought it was ridiculous that they had a pizza party once a month. Hearing this stuff makes me glad I decided to spend $10 extra bucks a month for my gym!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I understand making it mandatory for all members to wear sneakers, obviously lifting weights in flip flops is a really stupid idea, but, having sleeveless shirts? Why?

you saying that reminded me of this: :noway:

coco.jpg

I cannot lie...
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I work out at Planet Fitness 5 or 6 nights a week.

I have heard the lunk alarm twice and I'm pretty sure both times, the employee was messing with a friend, based on the laughter. They have candy on the counter, bagel, pizza whatever. Funny, but similar to pizza days at work, candy on desks at work, and 'birthday bagels' once a month, I manage to not eat it because I don't want to. If it fits, I would eat it. Fortunately, I have not yet had anyone try to literally shove pizza, bagels, or candy down my throat. I was once a member of Gold's Gym which and they had a shake/smoothie bar. Lots of people came in just for those. I didn't eat those either.

I see people in sleeveless shirts all the time and at least one woman comes in religious headgear, so like others said, I think that's at the discretion of the location. The only thing I can think of about religious headgear is they are worried about liability if it got caught in a machine? Maybe?

My location doesn't have a huge free weights section (my gym is tiny) but for my current fitness level and what I'm trying to achieve right now, it works for me. When it no longer fits my needs, I will reluctantly pay 3-5x as much for a different gym, if I can find one as conveniently located as PF is.

As for discriminating against the 'very fit' or the statement that those who work out there aren't 'serious', the ripped bodies I see at my location (same people, every time I go) suggest otherwise to me. I guess they might be working out somewhere else as well but it's hard to imagine how they'd find the time or reason to go to several gyms every day. I actually watch these people to see exactly what they do during their workouts so that I can make the most of what my gym has to offer.
  • jboss1989
    Options
    That is weird to hear...I guess it must be because it is a franchise, but the Planet Fitness I belong to is nothing like that. They have racks and racks of free weights, you can wear whatever you want (within reason), and I have never once heard that stupid alarm go off. I do wish that they had a pool or a sauna in there instead of tanning booths, but they certainly do not provide terrible service like the one you go to does! It's unfortunate that the owners of this PF have to be so ridiculous.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    That is weird to hear...I guess it must be because it is a franchise, but the Planet Fitness I belong to is nothing like that. They have racks and racks of free weights, you can wear whatever you want (within reason), and I have never once heard that stupid alarm go off. I do wish that they had a pool or a sauna in there instead of tanning booths, but they certainly do not provide terrible service like the one you go to does! It's unfortunate that the owners of this PF have to be so ridiculous.

That's how it used to be... Idk what happened. As far as I know they don't have new management, but I guess it's a possibility.
  • maciekwilk1
    maciekwilk1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Its simple :

Planet Fitness is not a gym - its a ****in excuse for fatties to go to, stuff their mouth with free pizza and claim that they cant lose weight " coz genetics ". All this bull**** about "no judgement zone " and all this " politically correct/marketing cuddling to death with words " its like something straight out of the Fat Acceptance blog or site ...
  • nickgarner6
    nickgarner6 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My brother-in-law is the head of marketing for a large chain of gyms/fitness centers, not Planet Fitness, and he explained to me how all of this works. Large chains like PF, 24hr Fitness,etc. make the most profit from people they sign up that do not use the facilities very much. Most chains rely on the resolutioners at the first of the year for most of this, followed by the folks getting ready for beach season/summer after that. These chains know that most people will sign up then not actually come to the gym after the first few weeks or months. These people pay for the facilities for the rest of the customers who actually use the equipment consistently and are serious about working out.
    Planet Fitness has taken this concept to the next level by actively discouraging people serious about working out from utilizing their facilities. The advertisements disparaging bodybuilding and depicting the women in the locker room body shaming the one customer etc. are the most blatant tactic. These advertisements promote a negative image of people who are serious about fitness. The emphasis on non- fitness amenities like tanning, tootsie rolls, free pizza and bagels, free hair cuts is another more subtle tactic, people who are very fitness oriented generally avoid these foods and who would trust a free hair cut. The equipment at Planet Fitness, no barbells with plates unless they are in a smith machine, no pre-loaded barbells over 75 lbs., the circuit of devices in the center of the facility(at least in our local location), the abundance of cardio machines vs. weightlifting machines, again are geared toward the casual user not the more advanced or "hardcore" fitness enthusiast. The final tool of shame is the "lunk alarm" sounding the alarm whenever someone breaches the rules or grunts, or drops a weight. I am all for good gym etiquette but the lunk alarm is a little much.
    I am a member at the Planet Fitness near my home because I use the treadmills when adverse weather prevents me from running. I had to change my weight workout to all dumbbells because of the lack of barbells. When I am in PF the ratio is about 70% people on cardio machines moving at a snails pace,on the treadmill with the incline set at maximum and holding on for dear life while they walk and watch TV, people flitting from machine to machine engaging in what I call mess-around-itis, people socializing. These people are the target customer. The other 30% of the people actually work out seriously and actually are putting out effort.
    While Planet Fitness is not my first choice, it is a 20 minute drive to the awesome gyms on Fort Bliss and that is 40 minutes I do not have to spare right now, so PF works for me for now.
    I don't like the overall environment and concept of Planet Fitness but I marvel at the brilliance of the concept.
  • I looked into PF when I started looking for a gym nearby. Used to go to a small local one at our old place and really didn't want to fork out they money for one of the chains nearby. However, I knew there was no way I'd do the 30 minute drive everday to the nearest PF. I pay $55 a month for my husband and my membership to LA Fitness...but at least I get the honor of seeing teenage girls dressed like Hooter waitresses and hearing bros yell across the gym at each other? Still better than the 24 Hour by my house.
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I've read all this and I still can't figure out what's wrong with pizza and bagels.

Can someone please clue me in? I eat them regularly, so I'm thinking that I might be missing out on some important information.
    I didn't read everything, but the argument for why not to eat pizza and bagels with any regularity is simple. If you are cutting/dieting/trying to lose weight the amount of carbs/saturated fat is counterproductive to the mindset of someone who trying to go to a gym in order to get in shape.

A gym like planet fitness has the tendency to attract novices as far fitness/nutrition goes. A lot of people who go to planet fitness, especially people who are over 35 who have no sort fitness/nutrition knowledge/experience, are very impressionable. They either don't have the time, or don't understand that there is more to getting in shape then jumping on a treadmill/elliptical and using the machines that they have in that 30 minute circuit. I am not criticizing anyone who uses machines or anyone who uses a treadmill or elliptical. The point I am getting at is Planet Fitness being cheap, and made out to be a judgement free-zone, presents itself as the perfect place for people who want to try to get in shape without the hassle of being in a gym where everyone is judging you, and you feel intimidated by people there. But along with the feel of being friendly for people who are out of shape looking to get into shape, it's still a gym.The first time a notice walks into a Planet Fitness they more than likely said, 'ok, I want to get in here, get a good workout, and get out of here as fast as I can'. They see the 30 minute workout section, and their question is answered. The same person may interpret that bit of direction as the fact that everything in that gym must be well thought out. So when the same person walks past the pizza and bagels, they might think twice, but in the event they go for the slice of pizza or bagel they more then likely say subconsciously "well, I earned it" or "one isn't a big deal". While TBH that person is right one isn't a big deal, and they probably did earn it. But it is counterproductive, and sending the wrong message to people who may not understand the big picture. Therein lies the problem with Planet Fitness and putting out pizza and bagels.