Planet Fitness sucks.

Options

Replies

• justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I've read all this and I still can't figure out what's wrong with pizza and bagels.

Can someone please clue me in? I eat them regularly, so I'm thinking that I might be missing out on some important information.
    I didn't read everything, but the argument for why not to eat pizza and bagels with any regularity is simple. If you are cutting/dieting/trying to lose weight the amount of carbs/saturated fat is counterproductive to the mindset of someone who trying to go to a gym in order to get in shape.

A gym like planet fitness has the tendency to attract novices as far fitness/nutrition goes. A lot of people who go to planet fitness, especially people who are over 35 who have no sort fitness/nutrition knowledge/experience, are very impressionable. They either don't have the time, or don't understand that there is more to getting in shape then jumping on a treadmill/elliptical and using the machines that they have in that 30 minute circuit. I am not criticizing anyone who uses machines or anyone who uses a treadmill or elliptical. The point I am getting at is Planet Fitness being cheap, and made out to be a judgement free-zone, presents itself as the perfect place for people who want to try to get in shape without the hassle of being in a gym where everyone is judging you, and you feel intimidated by people there. But along with the feel of being friendly for people who are out of shape looking to get into shape, it's still a gym.The first time a notice walks into a Planet Fitness they more than likely said, 'ok, I want to get in here, get a good workout, and get out of here as fast as I can'. They see the 30 minute workout section, and their question is answered. The same person may interpret that bit of direction as the fact that everything in that gym must be well thought out. So when the same person walks past the pizza and bagels, they might think twice, but in the event they go for the slice of pizza or bagel they more then likely say subconsciously "well, I earned it" or "one isn't a big deal". While TBH that person is right one isn't a big deal, and they probably did earn it. But it is counterproductive, and sending the wrong message to people who may not understand the big picture. Therein lies the problem with Planet Fitness and putting out pizza and bagels.

The big problem with Pizza monday (and Bagel Tuesday) is that EVERYONE comes out of the woodwork to go to the gym that day. I plan my rest day to be on that monday or I go after 8:30pm or so when the pizza is all gone. On the few times I went right after work to pizza monday it was crowded and I had to patiently wait to use the weight machines or a treadmill. I won't go around dinner time on pizza monday now, I just wont.

Thankfully it's one day a month, that's it. Besides, I'm training for a half marathon, so I run 4 out of 6 days a week so I'll only go to the gym if I don't want to run outside and if distance running training has taught me anything is that the treadmill is boring as all get out. I'll have to hit the gym more often come winter but that will only make me happier for the thaw.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I can't wear long sleeves, that's just annoying when I work out, unless I'm running outside and it's a bit nipply lol. I'm from Wisconsin so I thrive in cold, so the colder the more comfortable, ESPECIALLY at the gym. I mean, who isn't?

I can't wear short sleeve shirts if I plan to go on the elliptical because I'm a clumsy idiot and always get my sleeves stuck on the handles and almost smack my face on the machine.

And they only have the smith machine and dumbbells up to 75lbs. It's crap.
    The ONLY good thing about it is they have gobs of cardio equipment.
    But they recently started doing "Free Fridays", which USED to be my favorite time to go, but now it's just freaking annoying. That irks my nerves that I'm paying money to work out there, and people are hogging the place who don't pay a cent. Maybe I'm just cynical but now I'm just pissy about everything they do haha.

I go to the one in Rochester NY and wow, ours is not like this at all. I would surely die if I could not wear a tank as I start to feel claustrophobic when exercise becomes a bit uncomfortable and sweaty! I would make a complaint as this does not seem to be a "company wide" ruling..not sure if there are individual owners or not..anyway, best of luck! :)
  • ohaston
    ohaston Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I live in Alabama and I've been a member of Planet Fitness since 2011 ... We have free weights (these are the only ones I use) and they are allowed to wear sleeveless and head dresses... I surely hate that is going on in your area and I pray that never happens at mine... That would be a tragedy!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Well, this thread almost made it a year before resurrection....
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • RGv2
    Options
    Way to go!
    I didn't do it.....now it just looks bad cuz I turned the page.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
    I didn't do it.....now it just looks bad cuz I turned the page.
    Don't lie, you know you did it!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    WIurW.gif
    good job, RGv2 :noway:
  • RGv2
    Options
    WIurW.gif
    good job, RGv2 :noway:

Damn it, I didn't do it.....

Look back a page, 1/2 of it's from today.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Dammit, RGv2...

...why'd you resurrect this thread???

:angry:
  • RGv2
    Options
    f-this.gif
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I've read all this and I still can't figure out what's wrong with pizza and bagels.

Can someone please clue me in? I eat them regularly, so I'm thinking that I might be missing out on some important information.
    I didn't read everything, but the argument for why not to eat pizza and bagels with any regularity is simple. If you are cutting/dieting/trying to lose weight the amount of carbs/saturated fat is counterproductive to the mindset of someone who trying to go to a gym in order to get in shape.

A gym like planet fitness has the tendency to attract novices as far fitness/nutrition goes. A lot of people who go to planet fitness, especially people who are over 35 who have no sort fitness/nutrition knowledge/experience, are very impressionable. They either don't have the time, or don't understand that there is more to getting in shape then jumping on a treadmill/elliptical and using the machines that they have in that 30 minute circuit. I am not criticizing anyone who uses machines or anyone who uses a treadmill or elliptical. The point I am getting at is Planet Fitness being cheap, and made out to be a judgement free-zone, presents itself as the perfect place for people who want to try to get in shape without the hassle of being in a gym where everyone is judging you, and you feel intimidated by people there. But along with the feel of being friendly for people who are out of shape looking to get into shape, it's still a gym.The first time a notice walks into a Planet Fitness they more than likely said, 'ok, I want to get in here, get a good workout, and get out of here as fast as I can'. They see the 30 minute workout section, and their question is answered. The same person may interpret that bit of direction as the fact that everything in that gym must be well thought out. So when the same person walks past the pizza and bagels, they might think twice, but in the event they go for the slice of pizza or bagel they more then likely say subconsciously "well, I earned it" or "one isn't a big deal". While TBH that person is right one isn't a big deal, and they probably did earn it. But it is counterproductive, and sending the wrong message to people who may not understand the big picture. Therein lies the problem with Planet Fitness and putting out pizza and bagels.

So, you believe some food is BAD and other food is GOOD? You and I do not share that philosophy. ALL FOOD is good. Moderation and discipline are important factors in all aspects of life, not just nutrition and fitness, but certainly with regards to this specific topic, nutrition. It's total BS to say that pizza is bad for you and you can't lose weight if you eat it.

I'm not saying you can't lose weight if you eat pizza and that it's bad for you. All you are doing by interpreting what I am saying that way in making generalizations. I ate pizza about once every 2 weeks at the beginning of this cut, and it didnt stop me from losing weight.

The statements I made weren't so much directed at you as they were as some sort of reasonable way of rationalizing how Planet Fitness can consciously put out pizza and bagels when they know that most of the client base they are catering to is uninformed when it comes to nutrition and fitness.

I don't think we differ in opinion as much as we do in ways to engage other people in debates.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused.

How can a "Lunk Alarm" exist in a judgement free zone?

My trainer gives me free weight exercises that make me "grunt" and a lot of times I clank the weights together.

My boobs are huge and sometimes that's what I have to do to really make the exercise count.

I'm definitely not a lunk, I'm a beginner who would be horrified to be scolded for doing my best during a workout. What a joke.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a place for those who want to pretend they're getting in shape and say they "workout" but don't actually want to put forth any effort.

Seriously?

whatever you think of the gym , fine, but you dont need to insult ME
    They are on record as saying that their target audience is the novice exerciser. Take that as you will. I guess we should assume that as one gets in shape they should go elsewhere. Or maybe their policies are aimed at preventing you from getting ins shape. This is an interesting article from the "NY Times".

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/18/nyregion/18grunt.html?_r=0
  • treesloth
    treesloth Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I looked into PF and was instantly turned off when I read the "rules". I like dead lifts and those are not allowed. Sometimes my weights clank when I'm doing chest flys, not allowed. I do grunt when I'm really pushing myself, not allowed.

No grunting? I really don't like the people who do that for show, but I once managed to grunt loud enough to scare myself *and* spit my gum about 20 feet in the air. Got a new high on bench press though. This was at a Gold's, though. I almost never grunt, and when I do it's completely unintentional, but you're right-- it's also unavoidable if you're pushing yourself hard enough.
  • treesloth
    Options
    I looked into PF and was instantly turned off when I read the "rules". I like dead lifts and those are not allowed. Sometimes my weights clank when I'm doing chest flys, not allowed. I do grunt when I'm really pushing myself, not allowed.

No grunting? I really don't like the people who do that for show, but I once managed to grunt loud enough to scare myself *and* spit my gum about 20 feet in the air. Got a new high on bench press though. This was at a Gold's, though. I almost never grunt, and when I do it's completely unintentional, but you're right-- it's also unavoidable if you're pushing yourself hard enough.

Oh, and the most awesome thing? The gum landed on my chest!
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I posted before earlier and I too don't understand the pizza/bagel thing but I will tell you this...29 of the 38 lbs I have lost are due to Planet Fitness and eating right (and no, I have never partaken in the pizza and bagels!) So I guess there are two sides to every story...it is not the best gym but probably not the worst...hell, I burn calories there, that is all I know! :)
  • treesloth
    Options
    I posted before earlier and I too don't understand the pizza/bagel thing but I will tell you this...29 of the 38 lbs I have lost are due to Planet Fitness and eating right (and no, I have never partaken in the pizza and bagels!) So I guess there are two sides to every story...it is not the best gym but probably not the worst...hell, I burn calories there, that is all I know! :)

Unless they're somehow the only place one can burn calories, it doesn't sound worth it.