GMO Food Products

Options

Replies

• 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    To set the record straight, I did not say GMO's cause cancer. I think toxins cause cancer, and they are everywhere. Some crap produced in a lab classifies as this. And that is a GMO.

Cancer has touched just about everybody either directly or indirectly. But this has been the case for thousands of years. Our current name for it, cancer, comes from Hippocrates. And he died around 370 BC.

Do GMO items cause cancer? Dunno. Probably not. I think we're just comparing two unrelated trends here. Like so:

FSM+Pirate+Chart.jpg
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    And the question isn't that the people who are doing this haven't done the research to make this happen, or that they aren't well educated, but that they are changing things that may have more far reaching impacts then what they are considering, in their excitement about 'yay we made something that could theortically increase crop yields by x percent'.

You may have missed the part where I mentioned the rigorous vetting each product must go through before hitting the market. It is true, in some cases things go unnoticed before commercialization. This is most often seen with pharmaceuticals. Luckily crop protection isn't as susceptible for reasons beyond the scope of this post. If anything "slips by" regulators, it's likely to be more to the tune of a failure to perform rather than a massive outbreak of spontaneous intestinal explosions. You are most certainly questioning the capacity of the people performing the research to deliver a competent, safe product. You are suggesting they, and anyone who will ever touch the product before it hits the market, are too short-sighted to see what to you is blatantly obvious. You are insulting their intelligence.
    I would present also the counter arguement that the world CAN produce enough food to feed it's current population, and probably a much larger population, especially if global warming continues and those pesky icecaps melt, which will open up new tracts of arable land (if your sarcasm detector fails on that, then I can't help you). Unfortunately until you eliminate those nasty things like politics and poverty, scarcity of food for certain classes of people will always exist. Possibly a sensitive topic, but when you consider morbidly obese people, mass over consumers, and the amount of food waste-age that goes on in the United States alone, I think that you can see that the arguement that we can't feed all the people on the planet is just SLIGHTLY ridiculous.

With all due respect, this is simply wrong. I am not saying that we will cure world hunger through GMO corn. That would be silly. I am saying that there are not enough resources to produce enough food for the nearly 10 billion people who will roam this earth in a few short decades. That is fact. This includes more effective utilization of food in first-world countries such as the United States. It is not ridiculous at all, it is reality. Which is why these companies are pouring billions of dollars, and thousands of man hours into this problem. Who's judgement do I trust more? Several multi-billion dollar corporate projections? or someone who thinks their stomach is going to explode if they eat treated corn... and before anyone goes there, making a profit and helping the planet are not mutually exclusive.

I do not, for the record, think that my stomach is going to explode just because I read something on the internet. I would like to think I'm a little more savvy then that. However it does make for a compelling 'attention grabber' does it not? The counter to your argument that Monsanto carefully vets and tests all their products? Do you not realize how deep in corporate pockets our government is? Do you really think that Monsanto doesn't strong arm officials to get their products pushed to market? Do you really think that the overwhelming desire for more, and that corporate greed will really be pushed down and that Monsanto is a truly altruistic company with NOTHING but the best long term interests of humanity at it's heart? I would argue that this is perhaps a naive point of view to have. Recently it has come out that Monsanto is attempting to push a bill through our lame duck congress that would in effect grant them immunity from many federal laws. Do you think they are doing this because they want to serve humanity fully and generously? No, I do not think this is their motivation. I think they are driven by profits and by greed, and that human healthy falls by the side.

Or if you are slightly more conspiracy theory motivated. They are purposely destoying our health in order to continously fund the multi-billion dollar health care industry that has sprung up around treating obesity, not to mention the diet industry, and all the other industries that have sprung up because we in general are fat and out of shape.

/Shrug. Just saying sometimes it doesn't hurt to take a looooong look at everything and how it all works together.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    So, rationalization is a coping mechanism. You cannot help it. and for the person that said what I think does not "matter", you have not walked in my shoes and I do not care what you think. I "think" your reality is a bit out of touch. But that is just from my experiences. Don't take it to heart.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Monsanto says: "Eat ALL the foods grown from our genetically modified seeds!!
    General population says: "Ok! since you said it was safe, then it must be...on nom nom!"

Years ago, big tobacco said: "Smoke our cigarettes - they're not harmful - they're good for you!"
    General population said: "Ok, since you said so...puff puff puff."

But now we know that cigarettes are in fact, quite harmful. I think we should be more open minded when considering potential consequences of GMO foods. Sadly though, most people will take any big corporation at it's word. History proves it.

NO genius has to tell you that smoke in the lungs is BAD.. Any smoke rather.. Notice how its harder to breath and you cough.. ya that's not good.

Oh and if we are playing history .. Did you know that CocaCola really had cocaine in it? That's bad too..
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Yawn. You all stay on your side of sanity and I'll stay on mine. Nice life and all.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    General population says: "Ok! since you said it was safe, then it must be...on nom nom!"

Years ago, big tobacco said: "Smoke our cigarettes - they're not harmful - they're good for you!"

But now we know that cigarettes are in fact, quite harmful. I think we should be more open minded when considering potential consequences of GMO foods. Sadly though, most people will take any big corporation at it's word. History proves it.

In the 1950s, people referred to cigarettes as "cancer sticks." They knew. They just didn't care.

There is no proof of what you're saying and if it were true there would be a lot more sick people running around.
  • CourtLiv
    CourtLiv Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I try to ensure that pretty much everything I eat is organic/gmo-free....but I don't feel the need to go around convincing the world that my way is best, nor do I feel like I need to justify why I eat this way to anyone.

Arguing about organics and GMOs have replaced arguing about politics and religion. You're not going to convince someone to change their position...so stop trying, maybe?

If people want to walk into a science lab and down a whole beaker full of some genetically modified, super concentrated, stomach busting corn juice (or whatever it is you're talking about)...who cares?
  • rml_16
    Options
    So, rationalization is a coping mechanism. You cannot help it. and for the person that said what I think does not "matter", you have not walked in my shoes and I do not care what you think. I "think" your reality is a bit out of touch. But that is just from my experiences. Don't take it to heart.

So the cancer this person you speak of had was definitively linked to GMOs?
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I knew it, the Illuminati want us to eat popcorn, that's why it was introduced in movie theaters... gah, we have all been such blind sheeple. :brokenheart:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Hah. People are so hostile here!

I am aware that GMO has been going on for a long time. From what I understood this is a new 'strain'. And yes I do try and avoid corn as much as possible thanks. Unfortunately they sneak it into damn near everything anymore.

If you think there's no problems with it then why do you think that? Why do you dismiss it so easily as something that doesn't affect you in the slightest?

People simply don't care what is put into their food. If people actually woke up then they would have to realize that the packaged, boxed and frozen foods they eat are actually killing them and they don't care.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

I am aware that GMO has been going on for a long time. From what I understood this is a new 'strain'. And yes I do try and avoid corn as much as possible thanks. Unfortunately they sneak it into damn near everything anymore.

If you think there's no problems with it then why do you think that? Why do you dismiss it so easily as something that doesn't affect you in the slightest?

People simply don't care what is put into their food. If people actually woke up then they would have to realize that the packaged, boxed and frozen foods they eat are actually killing them and they don't care.

I totally agree with you that frozen foods are very hostile. Just last night I was in a grocery store, opened the freezer case, and this blasted box of peas fell RIGHT off the shelf, aimed directly for my eyeball. I thwarted it with my lightning reflexes but now I avoid the aisle altogether, just in case another one gets ornery. I took it home and cooked it up good to show it what for.
  • 76tech
    Options

May I borrow that enormous brush? I have to paint the side of a gigantic barn, and it would do just fine. Thanks.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    GMO!!OMG
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    Options
    Let's not get into this game of making outlandish claims and use apocalyptic imagery to scare people. Resident Evil is a movie, not real life. If you do not understand the science behind GMO products, that's okay. But what's not right is to spread misinformation just because you fear the unknown. Each product by Monsanto and alike, is developed as a result of years, sometimes decades, of research. As many as hundreds of people and dozens of PhD's who specialize in that field can be involved. After they have a potential product, it still has to go through endless regulatory testing to ensure safety.

The way I see it, they are doing the world a service. Just because you have three grocery stores with thousands of different products on shelves so conveniently packaged for you to buy all within walking distance, doesn't mean everyone else does, nor that you will continue to have that luxury. Planet Earth is experiencing a population explosion. There simply is not enough land and resources to feed everyone - not so far into the future.

The best way to guarantee mankind a future without famine is to work diligently to make agriculture more productive. Better harvest, higher crop turnover, etc... Go do some real research and find out how much improvement people in less fortunate geographies have benefited from the fruits of GMO development. Think about this the next time you put an apple down at the grocery store because it's not pretty enough.

P.S. "you" in this article refers to the generic you. Not the author of this thread specifically. Many people are guilty of spreading this propaganda, often out of ignorance but sometimes out of malice.

Reeeeelax. The OP wasn't saying that finding new ways to enhance production of agriculture is negative. Just that this "new" strain that makes insects stomachs explode is over the top. Admit it, GMO stuff is not as good for you as Non-GMO stuff back 100s of years ago.

Also yes modern advance in medicine are great. Of course. But you saying:

"Each product by Monsanto and alike, is developed as a result of years, sometimes decades, of research. As many as hundreds of people and dozens of PhD's who specialize in that field can be involved. After they have a potential product, it still has to go through endless regulatory testing to ensure safety."

Is completely dumb. Sure they go through rigorous testing, but that doesn't ensure that it is safe. Have you ever heard the side effects of some DOCTOR PRESCRIBED AND RIGOROUSLY TESTED pharmaceuticals that can have various side effects such as: Chrohns disease, memory loss, dementia, breast cancer, stroke, heart attack, oh and INSTANT DEATH SYNDROME?

Those are real side effects of commonly prescribed pharmaceuticals. Pretty sure having the possible side effect of instant death syndrome is bad. Just sayin
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

NO genius has to tell you that smoke in the lungs is BAD.. Any smoke rather.. Notice how its harder to breath and you cough.. ya that's not good.

Oh and if we are playing history .. Did you know that CocaCola really had cocaine in it? That's bad too..

Decades ago smoking was glamorized. Cigarette ads featured smoking doctors. Smoking basically cured what ailed you. Back then there was social pressure to smoke, despite what should have seemed obvious.

CocaCola had trace amounts of cocaine in it because it was common to use cocaine for medicinal uses; in the early 1900s Coke was marketed as a medicine.

Again, both scenarios proving that something that initially seemed harmless or even beneficial was eventually deemed to be the opposite, but it took decades for those things to become proven. Much the same may happen with GMOs...someday.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Or if you are slightly more conspiracy theory motivated. They are purposely destoying our health in order to continously fund the multi-billion dollar health care industry that has sprung up around treating obesity, not to mention the diet industry, and all the other industries that have sprung up because we in general are fat and out of shape.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1U6dKR5NrKJgHT2fj28mPsb7_19AxUulpM-NtFUdB_FXybAXq

Destroying peoples health so the food industry can make more money... Excellent!. If they sell poisonous foods and every one continuously eats it and people get sick from it no one will ever know and figure out it was the food and the food company will make billions...Forever... Thanks to the fat people.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUMg_jwufa1vwNRWGwxumsjEqbKT68k_q9TJa1V5RcJiboze42jw
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options

So, do you work for Monsanto? Or are you making excuses for purchasing cheaper food?
  • hsidky
    hsidky Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Do you not realize how deep in corporate pockets our government is? Do you really think that Monsanto doesn't strong arm officials to get their products pushed to market? Do you really think that the overwhelming desire for more, and that corporate greed will really be pushed down and that Monsanto is a truly altruistic company with NOTHING but the best long term interests of humanity at it's heart?

You must have skipped over the last sentence where I say that making money and trying to do something good are not mutually exclusive.
  • 76tech
    Options

So, do you work for Monsanto? Or are you making excuses for purchasing cheaper food?

Is it "answer question with a question" time already?

I work in labs. With scientists. White lab coats, petri dishes and everything. Will I conclusively say that GMOs cause cancer? Nope. Will I say they don't? No. All I can say is that there is no reliable, unbiased evidence saying that GMOs are linked to cancer.

Show me evidence and I'll listen. Until then, it's all theories with no basis in reality.
  • rml_16
    Options

Neither. You're making a very specific claim. I'm asking you to explain why you believe what you believe so strongly. You are claiming that this person's cancer (and I'm sorry you had to deal with that) was caused directly by GMO foods. Was this confirmed?