GMO Food Products

Options

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    You know what else is a huge threat to our health and the environment? Too many people and not enough food.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I guess we could go back to growing the original maize (or other crop) and we could all pay way more for our food and that would solve the obesity problem because food would be too expensive for the average person to be able to stuff their face with it until they explode. North Americans are the only ones who seem to be having an obesity epidemic and IMHO it's because there's just too much cheap food available. If you had to work harder to get your food you wouldn't be eating nearly as much.
  • hsidky
    hsidky Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Let's not get into this game of making outlandish claims and use apocalyptic imagery to scare people. Resident Evil is a movie, not real life. If you do not understand the science behind GMO products, that's okay. But what's not right is to spread misinformation just because you fear the unknown. Each product by Monsanto and alike, is developed as a result of years, sometimes decades, of research. As many as hundreds of people and dozens of PhD's who specialize in that field can be involved. After they have a potential product, it still has to go through endless regulatory testing to ensure safety.

The way I see it, they are doing the world a service. Just because you have three grocery stores with thousands of different products on shelves so conveniently packaged for you to buy all within walking distance, doesn't mean everyone else does, nor that you will continue to have that luxury. Planet Earth is experiencing a population explosion. There simply is not enough land and resources to feed everyone - not so far into the future.

The best way to guarantee mankind a future without famine is to work diligently to make agriculture more productive. Better harvest, higher crop turnover, etc... Go do some real research and find out how much improvement people in less fortunate geographies have benefited from the fruits of GMO development. Think about this the next time you put an apple down at the grocery store because it's not pretty enough.

P.S. "you" in this article refers to the generic you. Not the author of this thread specifically. Many people are guilty of spreading this propaganda, often out of ignorance but sometimes out of malice.

Reeeeelax. The OP wasn't saying that finding new ways to enhance production of agriculture is negative. Just that this "new" strain that makes insects stomachs explode is over the top. Admit it, GMO stuff is not as good for you as Non-GMO stuff back 100s of years ago.

Also yes modern advance in medicine are great. Of course. But you saying:

"Each product by Monsanto and alike, is developed as a result of years, sometimes decades, of research. As many as hundreds of people and dozens of PhD's who specialize in that field can be involved. After they have a potential product, it still has to go through endless regulatory testing to ensure safety."

Is completely dumb. Sure they go through rigorous testing, but that doesn't ensure that it is safe. Have you ever heard the side effects of some DOCTOR PRESCRIBED AND RIGOROUSLY TESTED pharmaceuticals that can have various side effects such as: Chrohns disease, memory loss, dementia, breast cancer, stroke, heart attack, oh and INSTANT DEATH SYNDROME?

Those are real side effects of commonly prescribed pharmaceuticals. Pretty sure having the possible side effect of instant death syndrome is bad. Just sayin

You cannot compare the two - they are very different worlds. That aside, You are obfuscating two separate issues. Generally speaking, drugs are commercialized with KNOWN side effects that must be made clear to the consumer. This is very different than side effects that do not get identified during clinical and post-clinical trials. As for those, you can no deduce by analogy that the same applies to GMO, because it doesn't work that way. Why? I'm too lazy to explain but with the proper research you can find out.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    So, rationalization is a coping mechanism. You cannot help it. and for the person that said what I think does not "matter", you have not walked in my shoes and I do not care what you think. I "think" your reality is a bit out of touch. But that is just from my experiences. Don't take it to heart.

So the cancer this person you speak of had was definitively linked to GMOs?

So, do you work for Monsanto? Or are you making excuses for purchasing cheaper food?

Is it "answer question with a question" time already?

I work in labs. With scientists. White lab coats, petri dishes and everything. Will I conclusively say that GMOs cause cancer? Nope. Will I say they don't? No. All I can say is that there is no reliable, unbiased evidence saying that GMOs are linked to cancer.

Show me evidence and I'll listen. Until then, it's all theories with no basis in reality.

Well, that explains everything. Bigger picture is not underrated.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Do you not realize how deep in corporate pockets our government is? Do you really think that Monsanto doesn't strong arm officials to get their products pushed to market? Do you really think that the overwhelming desire for more, and that corporate greed will really be pushed down and that Monsanto is a truly altruistic company with NOTHING but the best long term interests of humanity at it's heart?

You must have skipped over the last sentence where I say that making money and trying to do something good are not mutually exclusive.

I did not. I do think however that you are ignoring the fact that the push for profits can cause people to take short cuts in their processes. You can say 'my motivation is to do something good, and that I can make a profit off it is just a bonus. Or you can say 'I am out to make money, if something good comes out of it, then thats just an added bonus, but not my main motivation.' Presented with two doctor's saying this, which would you rather go to see?
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Hah. People are so hostile here!

I am aware that GMO has been going on for a long time. From what I understood this is a new 'strain'. And yes I do try and avoid corn as much as possible thanks. Unfortunately they sneak it into damn near everything anymore.

If you think there's no problems with it then why do you think that? Why do you dismiss it so easily as something that doesn't affect you in the slightest?

People simply don't care what is put into their food. If people actually woke up then they would have to realize that the packaged, boxed and frozen foods they eat are actually killing them and they don't care.

^ Basically.

Honestly, I find it interesting. I didn't hear about the GMO corn that causes bugs to explode, but being someone who used to be in environmental science, I can say that it could cause a huge problem in the food chain if the bug still had traces of the chemical in it. Not to mention, it's only a theory that the "toxin" wears off by production...

Don't understand the hostility... I think it's something to break from the ideas of microwaves being the death of birds and cause of infertility and us ditching them!
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    "GMO BAD, GMO KILL!"

"I don't think it's as bad as you say it is"

"If you ever cared for someone dying of cancer you'd think differently"

"Do you have proof that GMO's cause cancer?"

"No, toxins cause cancer, and since toxins are in GMO's you do the math"

"*cough logical fallacy *cough"

"Do you create GMO's for a living?"

"...wait what?"

"That's why I'm right!!!"

"...I'm not saying you aren't, I'm saying you don't have proof"

"Look at the big picture and you'll see!!!"
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I'm really not sure why everyone is getting so hostile about people not wanting to have scorpion DNA in there tomatos

What's wrong with ingesting scorpion DNA? Eating arthropods is normal in many cultures, including scorpions.

KeishaScorpions.jpg
    Image: examiner.com Scorpions on a stick in Beijing
  • hsidky
    hsidky Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I did not. I do think however that you are ignoring the fact that the push for profits can cause people to take short cuts in their processes. You can say 'my motivation is to do something good, and that I can make a profit off it is just a bonus. Or you can say 'I am out to make money, if something good comes out of it, then thats just an added bonus, but not my main motivation.' Presented with two doctor's saying this, which would you rather go to see?

Well, I suppose we are at an impasse. I am the glass half full, you are the glass half empty. Of those two choices, I definitely prefer the latter, but I think you are forgetting one more: the "My motivation is to do something good AND make a profit" category. It doesn't have to lean heavily in one direction or the other. Do you have compelling reason to believe otherwise?
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    "GMO BAD, GMO KILL!"

"...wait what?"

You forgot about my pea story.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    "GMO BAD, GMO KILL!"

"...wait what?"

logic makes me happy
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Hah. People are so hostile here!

I am aware that GMO has been going on for a long time. From what I understood this is a new 'strain'. And yes I do try and avoid corn as much as possible thanks. Unfortunately they sneak it into damn near everything anymore.

If you think there's no problems with it then why do you think that? Why do you dismiss it so easily as something that doesn't affect you in the slightest?

People simply don't care what is put into their food. If people actually woke up then they would have to realize that the packaged, boxed and frozen foods they eat are actually killing them and they don't care.

^ Basically.

Honestly, I find it interesting. I didn't hear about the GMO corn that causes bugs to explode, but being someone who used to be in environmental science, I can say that it could cause a huge problem in the food chain if the bug still had traces of the chemical in it. Not to mention, it's only a theory that the "toxin" wears off by production...

Don't understand the hostility... I think it's something to break from the ideas of microwaves being the death of birds and cause of infertility and us ditching them!

Well I didn't want to say anything but my friend who lived in New Roads, La at the time and I supercharged our microwave and when him and I turned that sucker on I guess 5 00 birds fell on the city. Damn microwaves.. I guess they are just bad for birds :tongue:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/04/us/04beebe.html
  • hikeout470
    Options
    GMO was introduced into our food supply where I live without consumers knowing or getting to choose. Most people, when the learn about this, do not like it. Including myself. Other countries reject the products, and that is noteworthy in itself. I would like GMO products to be labeled, as I would never choose to purchase them if labeled. Hence, the whole GMO controversy is that the genetic modifications are for the sole purpose of making some corporation some extra money.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    And to state my own opinion on the matter:

Many TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE things have been created with the best of intentions. Research into better ways to grow and harvest food, given our rapidly expanding population, is a necessity. You might have the money to buy only grass-fed, shiatsu massaged bi-weekly, sung to by Adele Live in utero beef, but poor college kids don't (not to mention folks in far less fortunate circumstances than we are given that we have access to the internet and time to dink around on MFP). Saying we shouldn't continue making these kinds of advances because of the risk is not only incorrect, it's impractical. Pharmacology, agriculture, etc are areas of great interest for research. Not everything that comes out of that R&D is going to be perfect, but that doesn't mean we should stop trying. Advances in these areas are done for money, yes. However, without them there is absolutely no way that we would be able to support the sheer number of people that we have living in some areas. There isn't enough pasture on the planet for all the beef we need to be grass-fed. Adele would get mighty tired flying from farm to farm to sing. And don't get me started if the masseuses go on strike because too many cows were seeking out happy endings.

Give me some of that grenade-o-bladder corn to dump in the NYC subways and parks. I'll take care of the rat and pigeon problem we have and will make money hand over fist doing it.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Well I didn't want to say anything but my friend who lived in New Roads, La at the time and I supercharged our microwave and when him and I turned that sucker on I guess 5 ,000 birds fell on the city. He had like roughly 500 birds for him.. Damn microwaves.. I guess they are just bad for birds :tongue:

This is more Illuminati garbage and a cover-up story. Those birds obviously ate the GMO corn.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    GMO was introduced into our food supply where I live without consumers knowing or getting to choose. Most people, when the learn about this, do not like it. Including myself. Other countries reject the products, and that is noteworthy in itself. I would like GMO products to be labeled, as I would never choose to purchase them if labeled. Hence, the whole GMO controversy is that the genetic modifications are for the sole purpose of making some corporation some extra money.

Now that is a fair point to make. I'm cynical in this regard because I think the whole process of labelling is corrupt as hell (It's 99% sugar alcohols but it's alcohol so it's still low carb!)

I think there's a big difference between "I have the right to know what has been done to the food I'm buying and should be able to choose to pay more for food handled a certain way (which is becoming more popular)" and "that food causes cancer and ALL the people making it are corrupt and don't care if they kill the whole planet".
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

Well, I suppose we are at an impasse. I am the glass half full, you are the glass half empty. Of those two choices, I definitely prefer the latter, but I think you are forgetting one more: the "My motivation is to do something good AND make a profit" category. It doesn't have to lean heavily in one direction or the other. Do you have compelling reason to believe otherwise?

I am currently working on my MBA. We have to take many classes on ethics. Open the Wal Street journal sometime and you will see my compelling reason to believe that the second statement is more accurate the the first. Every corporation out there, if given a chance, will take a short cut in order to increase profits, regardless of who it hurts, who it steps on, or what the long term implications of that are. It's basic finance 101. A dollar earned today is worth more then a dollar earned 10 years from now. The basic definition of a coporation includes 'increasing value to shareholders' which has been taken to mean increasing the bottom line. It's what they do. It's the reason for their existence. Profit, pure and simple. How many companies took short cuts on waste disposal of toxic byproducts of manufacturing and poisoned our environment? How many people lost their entire retirement when Enron decided to take shortcuts with their accounting and got busted for it? The responsible corporation is a rarity. Even the darling of wall street, Apple, was revealed to have taken 'short cuts' and produces their product overseas, paying sub par wages.

How many reasons would you like me to list?
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Well I didn't want to say anything but my friend who lived in New Roads, La at the time and I supercharged our microwave and when him and I turned that sucker on I guess 500 birds fell on the city. .. Damn microwaves.. I guess they are just bad for birds :tongue:

This is more Illuminati garbage and a cover-up story. Those birds obviously ate the GMO corn.
    :wink:
    ok ok fine you got me...
  • hikeout470
    Options
    And to state my own opinion on the matter:

Many TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE things have been created with the best of intentions. Research into better ways to grow and harvest food, given our rapidly expanding population, is a necessity. You might have the money to buy only grass-fed, shiatsu massaged bi-weekly, sung to by Adele Live in utero beef, but poor college kids don't (not to mention folks in far less fortunate circumstances than we are given that we have access to the internet and time to dink around on MFP). Saying we shouldn't continue making these kinds of advances because of the risk is not only incorrect, it's impractical. Pharmacology, agriculture, etc are areas of great interest for research. Not everything that comes out of that R&D is going to be perfect, but that doesn't mean we should stop trying. Advances in these areas are done for money, yes. However, without them there is absolutely no way that we would be able to support the sheer number of people that we have living in some areas. There isn't enough pasture on the planet for all the beef we need to be grass-fed. Adele would get mighty tired flying from farm to farm to sing. And don't get me started if the masseuses go on strike because too many cows were seeking out happy endings.

Give me some of that grenade-o-bladder corn to dump in the NYC subways and parks. I'll take care of the rat and pigeon problem we have and will make money hand over fist doing it.

Really, This is what you believe? Another "researcher" trying to justify their job, Blech... Ignorant. Boring.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Bacillus thuringiensis (or Bt) is a Gram-positive, soil-dwelling bacterium, commonly used as a biological pesticide; alternatively, the Cry toxin may be extracted and used as a pesticide. B. thuringiensis also occurs naturally in the gut of caterpillars of various types of moths and butterflies, as well on leaf surfaces, aquatic environments, animal feces, insect rich environments, flour mills and grain storage facilities.[1][2]

During sporulation, many Bt strains produce crystal proteins (proteinaceous inclusions), called δ-endotoxins, that have insecticidal action. This has led to their use as insecticides, and more recently to genetically modified crops using Bt genes. Many crystal-producing Bt strains, though, do not have insecticidal properties.[3]

If you play/played in the dirt then you've already eaten BT. Understanding what something actually is would be the first part to understanding?