women bench pressing

Options
123457»

Replies

• Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I kind of wish my gym had those "women's" 35lb bars for deadlifts. My hands are really small and I think I could pull more with a smaller bar. I haven't seen them in like 10 years though.

I can clean much better with a 35 lb bar because of hand size. I don't notice it so much with raw strength moves, but I do notice it with explosive oly lifts.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    By the way I have an Olympic bar that weighs 15kg (about 33lb), it was marketed as an Olympic training bar (the Olympic competition bars were 20kg) and is 7 foot, so 7 foot Olympic bar dousn't necessarily mean it has to be 45lb.

you are semi-correct.
    you can get an Olympic training bar in 15 kilo or 20kilo, and a competition Olympic bar in the same weights. the 15 Kilo bars are used for womens competitions, and the 20kilo bars are used in mens competitions. I also see several other people posting that "an Olympic bar is 45lbs". The correct answer is that any bar used for a mens competition in the actual Olympics (or sanctioned Olympic style weightlifting) is 44lbs (20Kilo's x 2.2lbs).

generic gyms in the USA do commonly use the "olympic style" (50mm/2" ends, 1.1" center) bars that are US "standard" at 45lbs.