Sorry, but I *am* getting bulky from lifting heavy....

Options
Everyone says don't worry about bulking up when you lift heavy you are a woman. But, honestly I am having a problem with this. My biceps are huge & show constantly without me even flexing. And my quads & calves are getting out of control since I started lifting heavier. A guy at my job was making jokes asking me what steroids I'm taking because he is a boxer & has known women who have been working out for years that don't have the amount of muscle I have. It's the the point where my pants fit loose at the waist & super tight around my thighs & I'm not pleased with it. I'm not sure what the answer to fix this is, lift lighter? I don't want to loose the tone & definition. And it's not from body fat, because my Dr. recently told me that my body fat is too low & she would like for me to put on 5-6 pounds.

Replies

• _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    Some guys, and some gals, are jerks. Don't listen to the guy at your work, and don't let anyone tell you how to feel about your body.

Honestly, looking at your profile pictures, you have some fabulous muscle and definition. You look really great, but no one else will convince you of that. You have to convince yourself you look good and you are not "bulky." You seem to have some silly idea of what women should look like in your head and you are thinking about giving up something that it sounds like you enjoy because some *kitten* was a *kitten*.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    You look like Halle Berry in your pictures. I can't see what isn't to love. I have the same problem with pants (tight in thighs, loose in waist) but I think I look damn good because of it.

If you aren't liking your results, eat less and/or stop lifting.
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My sister in law has this problem too, she's half black and her gains are crazy. I have seen it a Lot with pretty much everyone but white chicks- gains are big and noticeable I would droP weight and add reps.
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Some guys, and some gals, are jerks. Don't listen to the guy at your work, and don't let anyone tell you how to feel about your body.

Honestly, looking at your profile pictures, you have some fabulous muscle and definition. You look really great, but no one else will convince you of that. You have to convince yourself you look good and you are not "bulky." You seem to have some silly idea of what women should look like in your head and you are thinking about giving up something that it sounds like you enjoy because some *kitten* was a *kitten*.

A lot of those pics are at least 4-6 months old. My legs especially have grown alot since then. And trust me I'm not the kind of Woman who cares about any Man thinks. It's about how I look in the mirror & the way my pants are fitting that is bothering me.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Post pics of hyooge muskels.
  • DJ2120
    Options
    My sister in law has this problem too, she's half black and her gains are crazy. I have seen it a Lot with pretty much everyone but white chicks- gains are big and noticeable I would droP weight and add reps.

Me too, I'm Black, Irish & Cherokee. I'm thinking of dropping my weights (although I'm not sure how low to drop them) & doing more reps for a few weeks to see what happens.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    You don' look bulky to me. But thats just my opinion. If you don't like it, lift lighter or stop all together. But i personally think you look great. :) Screw everyone else if its what makes YOU happy.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It's from the lack of body fat.

Eat a cheeseburger!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

Me too, I'm Black, Irish & Cherokee. I'm thinking of dropping my weights (although I'm not sure how low to drop them) & doing more reps for a few weeks to see what happens.

*headesk*
    *headesk*
    *headesk*
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    If you don't like what you see stop lifting. Personally I'd love to be able to "bulk" up and get some good muscle. How long have you been lifting? Have you been taking measurements? Has your bodyfat % gone down? Are you eating in a deficit?
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

A lot of those pics are at least 4-6 months old. My legs especially have grown alot since then. And trust me I'm not the kind of Woman who cares about any Man thinks. It's about how I look in the mirror & the way my pants are fitting that is bothering me.

Your last statement says it all! If you are not pleased with your results, then change your routine. I still recommend you lifting. How often are you working out?
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    are you getting bulky or are you just getting leaner and your muscles are showing more????
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    #firstworldproblems
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    I agree with what's already been posted. You don't look bulky at all - you have a fantastic figure. I'm jealous. If your pics are outdated - put up some new ones and let us see. Side note - you are gorgeous and I'm totally digging your makeup. I <3 makeup.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Have you tried incorporating callanetics or yoga?

Theoretically it should stretch your muscles and give you a leaner appearance.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I, personally, think you're in phenomenal shape, and would do just about anything to get your body.

However, if YOU'RE unhappy with the results, then do what you need to do. I don't know exactly how you would counteract your results from lifting heavy, but my best guess would be to drop the weights down. *shrugs* Not the most helpful advice, I know. But it's all I've got.

Edit to add: Also, you can't fight genetics. You might just be one of those people who has meaty thighs (that's a great thing to have, so don't take that as an insult) with a tiny waist. Might just be time to find new jeans that fit your shape better.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i would say talk to a trainer, maybe you want to bring in more yoga and take out some heavy lifting. but i would also reccomend having your hormone levels checked. proper estrogen levels should prevent bulking, and if you're seeing an indicator that your estrogen is low, then that's something that can affect your health. but if your hormones are ok and you just have one wonky gene strand (that i am super jealous of), then just switch the work outs.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be rude..I really don't but BOO HOO....
  • mtiheartmuscle
    Options
    I'm jealous of you, honestly. Most women don't bulk like that and you should be honored that you can. Anytime you gain muscle mass, your legs will be larger and your waist will be small. - I have that same issue. I have one brand that fits me perfectly and I stick to it, otherwise I have my clothes altered to fit my body. It's the price we pay to look FABULOUS.

But in all seriousness, if you don't want that bulk gene, throw it over my way. Thanks!
  • DJ2120
    Options
    You look like Halle Berry in your pictures. I can't see what isn't to love. I have the same problem with pants (tight in thighs, loose in waist) but I think I look damn good because of it.

If you aren't liking your results, eat less and/or stop lifting.

What a compliment, thank you! I already don't eat more than 1200-1300 calories a day, so I don't think it would be good for me to drop below that. I think I need to lift lighter for awhile & see what happens.