Sorry, but I *am* getting bulky from lifting heavy....

Options
167891012»

Replies

• Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Also for the record, I do not understand why so many people are prescribing lower weights at a higher rep range. That is the opposite to what you want. The bb rep range (12-15) is what builds muscle SIZE, low reps (1-5) of really proper HEAVY weights will build strength without necessarily building the same size.

I think the half of my FL who are body builders would disagree with you from experience on that one.

In what way?
    3-5 Strength
    8-12 Hypertrophy
    12+ Endurance

Ha, yes you are right... I have no idea why I wrote that rep range for hypertrophy...

Regardless, perhaps I have misunderstood people when they say "increase reps and reduce weight", my assumption (as a power-lifter) is that they meant droping from a strength rep range to a hypertrophy rep range (which I still think is bad advice in this scenario).... It is far more likely of course that they mean moving into the endurance range....
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Ha, yes you are right... I have no idea why I wrote that rep range for hypertrophy...

Regardless, perhaps I have misunderstood people when they say "increase reps and reduce weight", my assumption (as a power-lifter) is that they meant droping from a strength rep range to a hypertrophy rep range (which I still think is bad advice in this scenario).... It is far more likely of course that they mean moving into the endurance range....
    No harm, no foul.

Eh, it doesn't matter what rep range she uses. She aint building no muscle with how little she eats. OP just needs to gain a bit of fat to look a bit 'softer' as she desires.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options

No harm, no foul.

Eh, it doesn't matter what rep range she uses. She aint building no muscle with how little she eats. OP just needs to gain a bit of fat to look a bit 'softer' as she desires.

Oh totally, anyway I am going to slink back to my boring, light lifting, pregnant box now.... seriously this is why I stopped posting at MFP, baby-brain is a real and embarrassing condition....
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    DieThreadDie.jpg

^^^^
  • melanogaster
    Options
    Ok, I admit I didn't read all the pages of this thread because it got crazy somewhere in there... but! In addition to the excellent advice about maybe just not lifting so much if you're becoming more muscular than you were hoping, have you considered the possibility that your (admittedly) too-low bodyfat percentage is interfering with your ability to produce estrogen? Since women also make testerone, but it's not produced in bodyfat like estrogen is, you now have more testosterone in comparison to estrogen than you previously did (even if the actual amount of testosterone hasn't changed). That could account for some level of "bulking", and could probably be resolved by allowing yourself to regain some bodyfat - by eating a bit more, doing a bit less cardio, lifting a bit less (less reps, or less weight; I think either should work). If you get your bodyfat percentage up (around 16-22%; or, even better, whatever your doctor suggested), you will probably see less "bulk" in your muscle mass. You could also try starting or changing hormonal birth control, though if your doctor already suggested a higher bodyfat I'd start with that. You may also want to ask your doctor about taking calcium supplements, because very low bodyfat in women is also linked to bone loss.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    DieThreadDie.jpg

^^^^

It can totally die now, as she deactivated her account. It'll be funny if the thread keeps going a week after she did. :tongue:
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to say it....I think this thread is about attention seeking. I think you just need affirmation from people on here and you knew that starting a thread like this would get you plenty of attention. I think you are insecure and just needed people to tell you you look good. I may be very wrong but that's kinda what I'm seeing here.
  • Myzztique
    Myzztique Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    DieThreadDie.jpg

^^^^

It can totally die now, as she deactivated her account. It'll be funny if the thread keeps going a week after she did. :tongue:

???? Huh, what happened, havent read through the whole thread yet....
    Anyway must say any woman who puts on muscle so easily is extremely blessed!!!
  • littlebutcurvy
    Options
    bump
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    wow. deactivated her account. interesting.