Women get BULKY from LIFTING HEAVY?!?!

Options

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    @C4RL05 as I don't want to quote you; for a lot of people starting out, seeing relatively fast results is the best way to encourage someone to stick to the programme. Lifting weights is a way to continually push the boundaries as well; yoga, bodyweight workouts etc certainly have their place and nobody should ridicule you for that, but there is a limit where you stop PROGRESSING with them. Putting an extra pound on the bar is motivation to go back and do it again, and again, and again.

I will always promote heavy lifting over bodyweight for the above reasons, but if heavy lifting isn't an option, like many others, my go-to IS bodyweight exercise.

There is no limit where you stop progressing with bodyweight exercises.

Though at some point most people will run out of the knowledge of what is harder than what they can currently do. The most difficult and advanced bodyweight exercises are very difficult to discover. Practically noone can do them, pratically noone has seen anyone that can do them (noone does them in gyms, there is very little cultural crossover there), and there is very little written about them on the internet. 99.999999% of bodyweight exercise info is written for the absolute beginner. But the exercises do exist, and you can discover them if you look hard enough.

If only someone would make a post to help people out with it
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    @C4RL05 as I don't want to quote you; for a lot of people starting out, seeing relatively fast results is the best way to encourage someone to stick to the programme. Lifting weights is a way to continually push the boundaries as well; yoga, bodyweight workouts etc certainly have their place and nobody should ridicule you for that, but there is a limit where you stop PROGRESSING with them. Putting an extra pound on the bar is motivation to go back and do it again, and again, and again.

I will always promote heavy lifting over bodyweight for the above reasons, but if heavy lifting isn't an option, like many others, my go-to IS bodyweight exercise.

Though at some point most people will run out of the knowledge of what is harder than what they can currently do. The most difficult and advanced bodyweight exercises are very difficult to discover. Practically noone can do them, pratically noone has seen anyone that can do them (noone does them in gyms, there is very little cultural crossover there), and there is very little written about them on the internet. 99.999999% of bodyweight exercise info is written for the absolute beginner. But the exercises do exist, and you can discover them if you look hard enough.

I'd be grateful if you could post some links. I'd be particularly interested in shoulder exercises that don't require you to be upside down.
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting for 6 mths approx, and the results have been amazing. Not huge amounts of weight yet, I am 54 yrs old and I have a lot of Arthritis issues, but I have progressed quite a bit even doing suspension training now too. When I started I had lost 50 lbs on my own, and now another 45 in the last 6 mths, and that horrible muffiin top I had is gone gone gone!!! It's amazing the results I am seeing, I actually am starting to have a waistline. Something I have never had even when I was a teenager, I have always carries a lot of my weight on the top portion of my body, but things are changing. The down side is the 'girls' seem to be leaving me, and to think when I was 21 I had a reduction! But I will take it!!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

I've tried before but noone really listens. The barbells>>>> crowd yells a lot louder, and others generally accept that they and they alone are right.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I don't want a channing tatum body.

I want a Marylin Monroe bod.

BRING ON THAT 36 - 34 - 36!

I think you mean 24...

Hahaha that's what I was thinking!
    Those measurements would make it sound as if she was just straight up and down without any curves.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I think the 2 on the right look great BUT a lot of women don't want to look like that (I'd be happy to btw) AND lifting heavy does not equal those results without A LOT of dedication so I almost think this kind of post scares more women off from lifting heavy because they don't realize that most likely heavy lifting will give them the look they want and if they want the look of Jamie Eason they can work for that too. :smile: Might also make women who do want that look think they will achieve it after 3 days of lifting lol
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

I've tried before but noone really listens. The barbells>>>> crowd yells a lot louder, and others generally accept that they and they alone are right.

You could still do something like the guy who made the post linked below and then link it all over the place

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    If only someone would make a post to help people out with it. [NOTE - re: Bodyweight exercises]

[/quote]

Sadly that statement is very true, having had a taste of it myself. I am a complete beginner in the art of bodyweight strength but I am loving the process. I thoroughly recommend anyone to have a look as a real alternative or even complimentary to weights. For example - is it not sad that so many weight training rooms do not have pull-up bars? Back in my day .......
  • KoGettinFit
    KoGettinFit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If the following subject is considered bulky, bring it on. Those are some hot-as-hell legs right there!

Develop-Strong-And-Powerful-Legs-With-Jump-Squats.jpg

I would take these legs over those you see on the runway ANY DAY!!! :bigsmile:
  • waldo56
    Options

I'd be grateful if you could post some links. I'd be particularly interested in shoulder exercises that don't require you to be upside down.

Not much there. Though all horizontal pressing works the front of the deltoids, and horizontal pulling works the rear of the deltoids. The rear head of the deltoid is one of the harder to work muscles, the front lever family of bodyweight exercises is one of the best ways to work it. But entry level to the front lever family of exercises is quite steep. Even the most basic variant requires the pulling strength at the shoulder to bang out pullups without issue.

But the handstand pushup/pike press, and handstand press families work the shoulders most directly.

But a few starting point links:
    http://www.beastskills.com/tutorials/
    http://www.alkavadlo.com/2010/05/14/mastering-your-body-weight/
    http://idoportal.com/videos/?tubepress_page=1
    http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/3/the-fundamentals-of-bodyweight-strength-training/
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArzTY8Rx2z1DdDZlaUVxa1NISlQ0RVpMYVlRaklJelE#gid=0
    http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/index.php
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/08/23/batman-bodyweight-workout/

Of course there is good 'ol sprinting, which is as good of a leg exercise as there is, especailly when done at maximum output against a stopwatch, extra especailly when done running uphill.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par46.htm
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Not much there. Though all horizontal pressing works the front of the deltoids, and horizontal pulling works the rear of the deltoids. The rear head of the deltoid is one of the harder to work muscles, the front lever family of bodyweight exercises is one of the best ways to work it. But entry level to the front lever family of exercises is quite steep. Even the most basic variant requires the pulling strength at the shoulder to bang out pullups without issue.

But the handstand pushup/pike press, and handstand press families work the shoulders most directly.

But a few starting point links:
    http://www.beastskills.com/tutorials/
    http://www.alkavadlo.com/2010/05/14/mastering-your-body-weight/
    http://idoportal.com/videos/?tubepress_page=1
    http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/3/the-fundamentals-of-bodyweight-strength-training/
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArzTY8Rx2z1DdDZlaUVxa1NISlQ0RVpMYVlRaklJelE#gid=0
    http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/index.php
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/08/23/batman-bodyweight-workout/

Of course there is good 'ol sprinting, which is as good of a leg exercise as there is, especailly when done at maximum output against a stopwatch, extra especailly when done running uphill.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par46.htm

Thanks! Gonna wade through that now.

Front levers? No probs. ;)
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    The women in the pix on both sides are flexing. You can have muscle and still be soft.

Yep. Flexing, bodyfat, hydration, whether or not you're "pumped" makes a big difference. As I've posted before, the same women who'd say "ew" to Jamie like this...

unknown10.jpg

... would probably give a kidney to look like Jamie here...

JamieEason1.jpg

^ Hey! That girl who said she was getting too bulky needs these pics! I wanted to show her something like this- on season vs off season. Isn't the difference here really bf% (higher in second pic) and water manipulation???
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Real world results from my other half... from a couple months worth of carb cycling. Amazing results from such a small time frame.

yosback.jpg

abzilla.jpg
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    If only someone would make a post to help people out with it. [NOTE - re: Bodyweight exercises]

Sadly that statement is very true, having had a taste of it myself. I am a complete beginner in the art of bodyweight strength but I am loving the process. I thoroughly recommend anyone to have a look as a real alternative or even complimentary to weights. For example - is it not sad that so many weight training rooms do not have pull-up bars? Back in my day .......

I used to do bodyweight stuff...and still do (chin ups, pull ups). I also still do yoga...nothing feels good the way yoga does.... but my issue with only doing body weight training FOR MYSELF (so as to make it clear I'm not dictating to others what they should do, but speak for myself and my experiences) is that my body weight was going DOWN. I went from 174 to 123 lbs. A push up at 174 required more muscle than it did at 123. When I work with weights in the weight room, I can make the weight stay consistent or go up, regardless of what my body weighs. OF course you can do this with some body weight stuff too by adding weights to it.
    [/quote]

But yoga is an entirely different creature. I agree to that. You can do sun salutes and work your way up to more advanced yoga which requires more strength- like this pose that I can still only dream of:

flyingcrow.jpg

Actually, the more i lift, the more important yoga feels to me in order to keep my flexibility up. It's easy to decide to toss stretching to the sidelines when you just spent an hour lifting heavy things.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If they don't get it now they never will.

I know, right! Stupid women. We are all idiots. So glad the OP knows what we all think and can set our ignorant little minds straight.
  • waldo56
    Options
    Yes, that pose requires a good bit of strength to do.

Does that not count as bodyweight strength exercise? One can progress to that pose without touching a weight, in reality if you want to do it, weights do you very little good. Holding that pose for time should work the whole upper body pressing chain, and the posterior chain from the lower back down.

Without knowing that pose directly, its pretty safe to say that you should start out by learning crow, then a tucked side crow. If you can press from crow to handstand that pose would be much easier, one way to build the strength to press from crow to handstand is to start with wall handstands, then handstand pushups. Once you can do about 10 or so, the crow to handstand press should come pretty easy, and if you can do that, the pose you showed should be relatively easy to learn.

The line between calisthenics, gymnastics, and yoga gets blurry, especially at the highest levels. They are but facets of the same thing; moving your body through space in the absence of external load.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I think it is also important for women to understand how vital lifting and weight bearing exercises are to our BONES!

Osteoporosis effects millions of women in the US and strength training can prevent this :)

Its not just whats on the outside that counts, but on the inside as well!

ThIS! And protects joints!

Both of these! And....

Strengthening your back muscles helps pull your shoulders back so your posture improves. Also helps prevent back pain. Strengthening your chest counters the back muscles to keep everything balanced and helps "perk up" your boobies to counter the sagging of age....
  • Sweet_Pea0107
    Options
    To be honest I think all 4 women in the op are too bulky for my taste as is the pic of the girl in the green. I lift weights but not "heavy". I have no desire to look ripped and I find visible abs on women disgusting (my personal opinion). So my perception of too bulky is probably a little less extreme than most. I prefer to be soft and feminine and in my opinion those women are not. (This is my opinion )
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    When you say 'lifting' , do you mean ONLY with free weights? or can I achieve the same results using the strength training machines? The free weights area in my gym is usually very crowded and those guys look a bit intimidating. I would be embarrassed to have them waiting for me to finish what would likely look to them as a waste of time. haha
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    81449060.gif