Books! I love books

Options

Replies

• MsMarlaMae
    MsMarlaMae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Wait until you get to Storm of Swords.

I was reading that. Then I got to the red wedding, got pissed off and quit reading. I'm not sure if I'm going to pick it back up again.

Martin loves to kill his characters doesn't he? I was furious after the red wedding. Hell even after I read the series the second time i was *still* pissed about that.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am an avid book lover. I read all fiction genres. I like some types more than others. i have so many many favorites that I cant possibly start to list them. But the last book I read was Cold Days by Jim Butcher. I just started The Twelve by Justin Cronin.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm. Books.
    Anything by Charlaine Harris (go beyond Sookie Stackhouse), Jim Butcher's Dresden files series, Carole Nelson Douglas, Midnight Louie series, Alexander McCall Smith's #1 Ladies Detective series and his Isabel Dalhousie series, Anything by Steven Brust, Rita Mae and Sneaky Pie Brown, Janet Evanovich, .......and so on.

Rick Mercer's books are a riot (but kind of Canadian specific) and John Rolston Saul will make you think, as will Gwynn Dyer.

I have grown out of my upstairs "library" and have filled both walls of bookshelves in may basement. I now try to get most things in e-books to save space.....
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I love books as well, i wish i could make a living out of reading them..... Maybe I should start a blog about the books I read and maybe just maybe I can make a living out of it..... I've seriously been thinking this all week since I've read two to three books in a day, everyday this week!

I'm really picky and find that if i can't get into the book in the first chapter it ain't happening. I find myself drawn to certain authors: Nora Roberts, Janet Evanovich (I LOVE Stephanie Plum book series!), Nicholas Sparks etc. yup i like romance novels because well i just do :smile:

Lately because I'm poor haha I've been reading a lot of free or inexpensive books on my Kindle right now I am reading The Bad Boy Billionaire Series from Judy Angelo. (though her books aren't long and tend to have the same repeatitive words, oh well they're a kick)

I do too... read free books on my Kindle. I love to discover new and "unpopular" authors. Do you have a library card? If you do check your library's ebook collection. I mainly use mine and only buy a few books a year, all the other ones are borrowed from the library.(My husband is very happy about it...)
  • santacruz_livin
    Options
    I mostly own a lot of philosophy/esoteric books. But my fiction collection has a lot of Anne Rice, classic horror literature, and poetry. I am currently reading 2 books; Dharma Punx by Noah Levine and Getting Stoned with Savages by J. Maarten Troost
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I read all kinds of stuff, depending on what sort of mood I'm in.

Ayn Rand
    George Orwell
    Hunter S Thompson
    Ken Kesey
    Marion Zimmer Bradley

The Hobbit
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy

Theres a million more, it would take me all day. i'm reading the Hunger Games now. I'm thinking next year I'm going to try to read some of the Star Wars books. (There's a lot)
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Oh I love how the library has incorporated ebooks! It makes reading so easy and fun :)
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    If you like graphic novels, The Sandman, Transmetropolitan, and Preacher are all great.

Sandman was awesome and I'm working my way through Preacher right now. For graphic novels/comics, I'd also have to add Y: The Last Man and The Walking Dead.

I just picked up the first trade of Y: The Last Man! I haven't started it yet, but it's next on my list. I'm also about to start reading Fables and Lucifer, which I hear are great as well.
  • grawrrrr
    grawrrrr Posts: 336
    Options
    Gawd. I mean, I actually tried to read 50 Shades. I got like 3 chapters in before I gave up.

Is it just me or did every time the main chick said "Oh my...." it reminded you of George Tekai? I mean, how could I take it seriously after that?

KFdOX.gif

ROFL!
  • grawrrrr
    grawrrrr Posts: 336
    Options
    Fun fact: I was on my high school's reading team.

We read some awesome books and answers questions on them in competition. ^_^
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Martin loves to kill his characters doesn't he? I was furious after the red wedding. Hell even after I read the series the second time i was *still* pissed about that.

Yeah, which you'd think I'd be used to since I read The Walking Dead but it made me soooooo mad.
    I just picked up the first trade of Y: The Last Man! I haven't started it yet, but it's next on my list. I'm also about to start reading Fables and Lucifer, which I hear are great as well.

My husband has been trying to get me to read Fables, but I think once I'm done with Preacher, I'm gonna start on Locke and Key.
  • AmyJMadison
    AmyJMadison Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Ken Follet books are the best......Pillars of the Earth

I loved Pillars and World Without End... And didn't think the TV shows did them any justice at all.

Does anyone else think that when George RR Martin wrote the GoT series, he had a set of gamer dice by him and when he didn't know what do have happen next or what to do with a character he just rolled the dice? It is really quite realistic that when his characters have big plans and something in motion.... it just ends! Not everything goes along as you plan or expect. I liked that.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I am in love with books!!!! My Dad also built the most Amazing bookshelf. I read a lot of Christian books. My favorite is Crazy Love.

^Never heard of it. Thanks for the suggestion. :flowerforyou:
  • ladytinkerbell99
    Options
    I am reading a few at the moment. "The Stand" by Stephen King. I have a love/hate with this book.

Also reading; "The Presidents Club" by Nancy Gibbs and Michael Duffy

The best book that I loved is: "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg
  • stinkpurty
    Options
    Right now, I'm reading cheesy Christmas novels. I pack them away with my Christmas decorations and re-read them every year. You know, the ones where everyone is unhappy, a Christmas miracle occurs and then everyone is happy . My favorites are "A Redbird Christmas", "The Christmas Pearl", and, of course, "A Christmas Carol."
  • ladytinkerbell99
    Options

Yeah, which you'd think I'd be used to since I read The Walking Dead but it made me soooooo mad.

My husband has been trying to get me to read Fables, but I think once I'm done with Preacher, I'm gonna start on Locke and Key.

^ If you want to read some creepy Fables and/or Fairy Tales, read the works of the Grimm Brothers (1786 - 1859). IMO
  • LAWoman79
    LAWoman79 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reading, "The Diary of a Submissive."

I love everything written by John Steinbeck, J.R. Tolkien, and I like, (some, not all), Hemmingway.

I love to pick up books that are unpopular. Books that most people would not read. It's interesting to read things you never would have thought of.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Harry Potter Series, The Mortal Instruments Series, Dark Tower Series, Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Hobbit, Jane Eyre, Anna Karenina, ah I love to read...

I'm with this reader.
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm a Jilly Cooper freak. Riders, Rivals, Polo ....Jump

I'm Jonesing for the next one....can't wait!
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Series.
    Harry Potter, obviously.
    The Hunger Games.
    Stephanie Plum novels.
    House of the night.
    Twilight ( no judging)
    50 shades
    Eragon.
    The Secret Circle
    Redeaming Love(really good)
    Sherlock holms.
    Pretty little liars.
    The lying games.

Nook books
    The neighbor from hell series.
    The chase brothers series.
    Crossfire series.
    For his pleasure (Still kinda reading those)
    Taking Chances.
    Rough Riders Series.
    Thoughtless and Effortless. (two different books)

Books in general
    A Corner in the Universe.
    A Wrinkle in time.
    Pay it Forward.
    Watch me.
    If i tell.
    Firejumper.
    Poor Little B*tch girl

and i could go on and on cause i read ALOT!