Why you souldent eat back your calories

Options
The Best Piece of Weight Loss Advice Ever Exercise is not a license to eat. “All too often clients believe that any exercise gives them permission to eat more,” says Moore, “The truth is, it rarely balances out calories consumed.”

Replies

• Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Well your lack of correct spelling makes me not believe you.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    That depends on the program you're following. MFP is designed so most users should eat back at least some of their calories to avoid creating too much of a deficit. Weight Watchers allows members to earn points though exercise as well.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    uh oh...
  • nayers86
    Options
    While I agree, I also disagree....too high of a calorie defecit would cause your body to go into starvation mode and would deteriorate lean muscle mass. It's imperative to keep your bodily properly fueled and fed post workout in order to support your muscle and body.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    MFP already puts me in a deficit so if I chose to not eat back my exercise calories, I'd have too much of a deficit that I'd be starving! I will continue to eat back my exercise calories. I've lost 21lbs since I've started my weight loss on MFP and if eating them back really 'hindered' weight loss, those 21lbs wouldn't have been lost.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    it's a very open ended statement... yes, I too know people who think because they did a workout they can then shoot to McDonalds, eat what they want and as much as they want, because they exercised that day. You can eat more, just not to the degree some people think they can. It's balance, as with everything MFP helps you realise.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    yes, going to the gym does not mean you can eat and entire pizza...unless you have allotted the calories for that entire pizza. Everyone is different, and everyone's diet is different. Unless you look at my diary settings, you can't know wether or not I should eat back my exercise calories. Some people want to eat back their exercise calories and have set their goals to make that ok- like me. I am so tired of people saying I cant eat back my exercise calories!
  • katelion22
    katelion22 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Spell check is your friend.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Why are we starting this crap again? Either fuel your body or it fuels itself... Fat loss > weight loss.
  • nayers86
    Options
    While I agree, I also disagree....too high of a calorie defecit would cause your body to go into starvation mode and would deteriorate lean muscle mass. It's imperative to keep your bodily properly fueled and fed post workout in order to support your muscle and body.

Edit: a 3 mile run does not rationalize, "I can't wait to grab a big mac on my way home from the gym". <---this is how I would agree with you. And in this manner only.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    If I'm still hungry or there is a particular treat I want that day which will have me eat back my exercise calories; I'm going to have it. If I'm not hungry then I won't eat more.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Blah blah blah
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    ROFLMAO0.jpg
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,981 Member
    Options
    What kind of statement is that? Your post doesn't even attempt to prove your topic heading. I call Shenanigans.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    This will be fun to watch :ohwell:
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You are taking the quote out of context. My interpretation is that some people think that because they workout a lot it will offset unhealthy meals, etc. In MFP, you are carefully monitoring calories and foods and you DO need to eat the calories you burn.
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Over the course of this year, I started out at 292 in January and I got down to 185 (in August) (my lowest non pregnant) and have been rocking around 191 (currently 18 weeks 5 days pregnant!) and I did NOT eat back my exercise calories.... I think some people should eat back their exercise calories IF it works for them and some should not.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    ROFLMAO0.jpg

Now this is a great response!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,541 Member
    Options
    Extreme deficits can deter weight loss and stun metabolism. There is a balance, and while exercise doesn't justify gorging oneself, it does justify eating back calories burned if daily deficit has been already established.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    In MFP, you are carefully monitoring calories and foods and you DO need to eat the calories you burn.

Yes, I agree.