Why you souldent eat back your calories

Options

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    If your calorie allowance is 1500 and you go on a bike ride and burn 1000 calories, that means you've only consumed 500 for the day. 500 calories is not enough to sustain anyone.
  • CGPrincessWarrior
    CGPrincessWarrior Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am seeing a medical weight loss team consisting of a nutritionist, personal trainer, and MD. They have all said to not eat back my exercise calories. I am seeing more results now that I'm not eating them back and I was at a plateau for over a year. The most important thing to do is what is best for you and your body. No two people are the same and what works for one may not work for another.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    *backs away*
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Well your lack of correct spelling makes me not believe you.

:laugh:

It's just amazing how people who think they know everything just can't understand simple grammar and spelling concepts.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I ate back my cals every time I worked out and it seemed to work out just fine, what with my 85 pounds lost and maintained thus far. It's all about personal responsibility.
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Ummm obviously your idea of a workout is doing two sqats and a burpee. Max.

I eat average 1300 calories, and burn 500 cal running. Obviously you eat back a portion, i don't like going to bed starving.

Notice i said a portion.. I never eat back ALL my calories just enough to stay under my goal.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,979 Member
    Options
    Over the course of this year, I started out at 292 in January and I got down to 185 (in August) (my lowest non pregnant) and have been rocking around 191 (currently 18 weeks 5 days pregnant!) and I did NOT eat back my exercise calories.... I think some people should eat back their exercise calories IF it works for them and some should not.

It works for YOU because you are so over weight. As you get closer to your Goal Weight (like within 30 pounds) - it's not going to work any more....unless you aren't exercising very hard or more than a couple times a week.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    The Best Piece of Weight Loss Advice Ever Exercise is not a license to eat. “All too often clients believe that any exercise gives them permission to eat more,” says Moore, “The truth is, it rarely balances out calories consumed.”

Who is this Moore you are quoting?? If you want people to take anything you say seriously, you need a *little more* than what is presented here.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    tracey-morgan-nope.gif
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The Best Piece of Weight Loss Advice Ever Exercise is not a license to eat. “All too often clients believe that any exercise gives them permission to eat more,” says Moore, “The truth is, it rarely balances out calories consumed.”

I think the key to this advice might be defining who these "clients" to whom the advice was given.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Well your lack of correct spelling makes me not believe you.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    See that ticker down there... uh huh - I ate my exercise calories.

I didn't realize I was doing it wrong. :huh:
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options

uhm....i eat more because im building muscle. you dont gain if you dont eat.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options

"Wrong," says Dave, "The truth is everything NinerBuff said."
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    “The truth is, it rarely balances out calories consumed.”

That's nonsense - your subject heading isn't supported by your text. Eating back the calories you HAVE expended does balance!

Would make more sense if you said "exercising doesn't mean you can eat a stack more calories than you need and not gain weight". But that's just a bit obvious isn't it?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    While I agree, I also disagree....too high of a calorie defecit would cause your body to go into starvation mode and would deteriorate lean muscle mass. It's imperative to keep your bodily properly fueled and fed post workout in order to support your muscle and body.

Edit: a 3 mile run does not rationalize, "I can't wait to grab a big mac on my way home from the gym". <---this is how I would agree with you. And in this manner only.

It does if the Big Mac fits in my calorie goal and macros.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    An unreferenced quote excerpted out of an unidentified source always gets me pondering the validity of a random statement. Thanks!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

"Wrong," says Dave, "The truth is everything NinerBuff said."

"Well, Dave, I'm not sure how I feel about your input" was Bill's response. "I don't trust people of your race."

Damn that Bill is a '50s style racist.
  • glitterjam
    glitterjam Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Extreme deficits can deter weight loss and stun metabolism. There is a balance, and while exercise doesn't justify gorging oneself, it does justify eating back calories burned if daily deficit has been already established.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I'm going with this guy.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    What kind of statement is that? Your post doesn't even attempt to prove your topic heading. I call Shenanigans.

Shennanigans has been called. the tribunal will now meet.