That picture is terrifying

I was thinking the same thing when I saw it! :laugh:
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Why are people so mean?

That picture is terrifying

I was thinking the same thing when I saw it! :laugh:

LOL Right? So scary (I apologize to whomever that real person is)
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    First time shame on you, second time shame on me... I can't forgive you now
  • Desdemina
    Desdemina Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Let me get this right. Because there are mean people in the world, gives us a right to also be mean? To accept things the way they are? Instead of trying to create a safe place that people who are all struggling with the same issue can come together and support each other? What is the point of even living if it's not to try and make at least some small part of the world a better place? I know I'm going to get flamed for being idealistic, but it won't stop me from trying.

I understand that some people may see you as mean just because you disagree with them, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people who make fun of others, whether it's spelling, making fun of their profile pictures, or presenting what should be helpful information in an unhelpful manner ("Hey, you stupid *****, don't you know you're supposed to do-such-and-such? What an idiot."). Or worse, the people who troll and bait just because they think it's fun. Why should you have fun at the cost of hurting someone else's feelings.

I've got a tough skin. I can take the hateful comments. I know there will always be insensitive people. But it doesn't mean I can't try to make things better. I don't have to accept a negative environment.

And if this thread gets posted several times a week, don't you think that indicates that there's a problem? That enough people are bothered by it to want to change things? Instead of whining about "Oh no, another plea for people to be nice!", how about trying to be nicer, and not accept the rude behavior of others?

I'm done with my soapbox. And ready for the attacks. Though I would like to think they won't come.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    The reason people lash out at others is to either boost their self-esteem or to avoid their own pain. I do my best to be nice, but I have not always been that way on here. I am guilty as charged for making a "laughing face" at someone who misspelled words. Thank you for bringing this to my (and everyone else's) attention. :flowerforyou:
    LMAO
    Being direct and hit where the truth hurts is not trying to boost self esteem or whatever...
    Makes me laugh ... always that kind of "explanation"... Never thought that some people are too sensitive, afraid of the truth, easily offended... (i could go ob forever)
    Trust me, when I have something to say, I do it, whether you are in front of me or not. and this kind of answer is the answer to make yourself feel better in front of reality. Although I am with you in the misspelled topic. I am not anglophone and CAN make mistakes, I am okay with sarcastic jokes, but not true insults.
  • belladonna786
    Options
    First time shame on you, second time shame on me... I can't forgive you now

Ah nerts!
  • Pema10
    Pema10 Posts: 13
    Options
    Agreed!!
  • XxXWhitneyShereeXxX
    Options
    Agreed! Some people on here obviously think it makes them look cool to correct someone for a spelling mistake or make fun of them for whatever reason and then 20 followers want to look just as "cool" as the 1st *kitten* for being mean, so they all jump on the bandwagon. There is a difference in being honest and being an *kitten*, some people here don't understand the difference.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!! Someone posts that there is no call for name calling and ridiculousness like picking on someones typos and people turn around and are rude and nasty. You're parents must be really proud of you and how you treat others!
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Some people on here obviously think it makes them look cool to correct someone for a spelling mistake or make fun of them for whatever reason and then 20 followers want to look just as "cool" as the 1st *kitten* for being mean, so they all jump on the bandwagon. There is a difference in being honest and being an *kitten*, some people here don't understand the difference.

Here, here!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

And if this thread gets posted several times a week, don't you think that indicates that there's a problem? That enough people are bothered by it to want to change things? Instead of whining about "Oh no, another plea for people to be nice!", how about trying to be nicer, and not accept the rude behavior of others?

Take a look at this thread. A nice, long look.

Look who starts the post. Look who joins in.

Most of the time, it's people who have been here a total of... one month. Or people who have been here much, much longer... with a total of 50 posts.

Many of these people's only posts are these types of threads: everyone's mean. Or, if you look real closely, their other posts are, "Has anyone tried diet pills?" or "I'm looking to do a month long juice fast."

Granted, not everyone is like this, but it's a generalization because it is generally the case of the people who get, for lack of a better term, "butthurt" in these threads.

So is there a larger problem if it gets posted often? No, I don't think so; I think the few people who post this a week, as they are almost always in the above categories, "notice" something and comment on it. You can sit back and make observations all you want, but if you're not really an active participant (often), you're not getting an accurate picture. If I watched a world renowned opera singer, and I didn't know she was battling a sore throat, my opinion is going to be pretty skewed. If I walked into a particular area of Detroit for an hour and saw lights and new restaurants and people walking around, I might forever bristle at any negatives said about the city (true principles of Detroit: Thinking one square mile of development negates the ten square miles of crime). It's basic psychology that initial impressions are very hard to shake. These people fall into that principle.

What I'm gathering here, though, is that people still don't understand intent and/or humor online. It's hard, I get that. But you mentioned the "making fun of profile picture"... there was just two pages in this thread of consensual joking. The person was IN on the joke. Or the "trolls who bait"... posting a .gif is generally a reaction of, "This post is going downhill fast" or "This person isn't understanding me or is getting mad, let me diffuse it with HUMOR."

/soapbox (Irish Spring)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
    This still going :yawn:
  • Susan823
    Susan823 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Agree!!
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    The reason people lash out at others is to either boost their self-esteem or to avoid their own pain. I do my best to be nice, but I have not always been that way on here. I am guilty as charged for making a "laughing face" at someone who misspelled words. Thank you for bringing this to my (and everyone else's) attention. :flowerforyou:

I call BS on the notion that the only reason someone would be mean is because they want to make themselves feel better or hide their pain. Some people just find it funny.
  • belladonna786
    Options

Take a look at this thread. A nice, long look.

Look who starts the post. Look who joins in.

Most of the time, it's people who have been here a total of... one month. Or people who have been here much, much longer... with a total of 50 posts.

Many of these people's only posts are these types of threads: everyone's mean. Or, if you look real closely, their other posts are, "Has anyone tried diet pills?" or "I'm looking to do a month long juice fast."

Granted, not everyone is like this, but it's a generalization because it is generally the case of the people who get, for lack of a better term, "butthurt" in these threads.

So is there a larger problem if it gets posted often? No, I don't think so; I think the few people who post this a week, as they are almost always in the above categories, "notice" something and comment on it. You can sit back and make observations all you want, but if you're not really an active participant (often), you're not getting an accurate picture. If I watched a world renowned opera singer, and I didn't know she was battling a sore throat, my opinion is going to be pretty skewed. If I walked into a particular area of Detroit for an hour and saw lights and new restaurants and people walking around, I might forever bristle at any negatives said about the city (true principles of Detroit: Thinking one square mile of development negates the ten square miles of crime). It's basic psychology that initial impressions are very hard to shake. These people fall into that principle.

What I'm gathering here, though, is that people still don't understand intent and/or humor online. It's hard, I get that. But you mentioned the "making fun of profile picture"... there was just two pages in this thread of consensual joking. The person was IN on the joke. Or the "trolls who bait"... posting a .gif is generally a reaction of, "This post is going downhill fast" or "This person isn't understanding me or is getting mad, let me diffuse it with HUMOR."

/soapbox (Irish Spring)

*Like*
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    AGREED. It is sickening to see people ridiculed on here. It is okay to disagree respectfully if you have something else to say but honestly "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all." Thanks for this post-- I was worried that I was the only one bothered by this!!!!
  • Indygirl_81
    Indygirl_81 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I also agree... there's too much of that here.
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thank you for having the courage to post your position. I agree with you. Best wishes for success in meeting your health and fitness goals!