Why do people hide their diaries?

Options

Replies

• Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Mine is private. Frankly, I don't care if other people approve of what I eat. I'm happy with my diet and I use the diary for my own accountability.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Because I track my intake for personal purposes, not for some group therapy session.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Because I track my intake for personal purposes, not for some group therapy session.

So true!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Mine is completely open, but I have people even on my friend's list whose diary is closed. And that's okay. Food is a complicated, emotional subject for lots of people. It's okay if not everyone wants it to be public business.
  • HapThompson
    HapThompson Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Because it's nobodies business but mine.

I keep a record for ME to track what I'M eating. I'm not interested in anyone else's comments about it or in seeing what anyone else ate.
  • emilynw10
    Options
    I don't know if mine is open or closed. I know it's at least open to friends. I also don't care if people know that I've taken out almost an entire bag of Doritos today.

I like to see people's diaries because I like to get ideas. I'm having a really hard time balancing my macros and hitting my calorie goal (I know... the Doritos... shush). How do people eat 1800-2000 calories and not go waaaay over their carbs?
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Why are people so concerned about people googling them and finding their MFP page/diary?

I've done much, much more shameful things on the internet than logging my food. .......I've said too much.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I don't know if mine is open or closed. I know it's at least open to friends. I also don't care if people know that I've taken out almost an entire bag of Doritos today.

I like to see people's diaries because I like to get ideas. I'm having a really hard time balancing my macros and hitting my calorie goal (I know... the Doritos... shush). How do people eat 1800-2000 calories and not go waaaay over their carbs?

Meat, fish, nuts, avacardo, greek yoghurt and peanut butter. Also I tweak my diary by adding of higher quality of something I am eating anyway, that won't exceed my macro figures. Once you get going it gets easier . There are a lot of foods that are not big in portion, but give the additional healthy calories.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I don't because I want to see if I can inspire threads about closed diaries.
  • Chlo92x
    Chlo92x Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open, I have logged most days for 50+ days i think... I love seeing results of my day :) Feel free to take a look and give tips/advice because I am fairly new to dieting.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    My log is friends only because I eat and log for my personal benefit, not for the public amusement of others. Far too many disgusting PMs about my soda habit later, I closed it off. I'm not an idiot, I'm aware that soda is keeping me fat. I'm also aware [where they were not] that six a day was a hell of a lot better than the 12 to 24 pack a day I was drinking before. I've since mostly kicked the habit [soda free since Sunday] but I've no plans to open my diary up to people who don't know how far I've come.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

By eating fat. Fat has more than twice the calories of carbs. I can't ever seem to get enough carbs because I eat too much fat. And drink empty calories.
  • emilynw10
    Options

By eating fat. Fat has more than twice the calories of carbs. I can't ever seem to get enough carbs because I eat too much fat. And drink empty calories.

Maybe that's my problem! I can never get to my fat goal either. I can't eat dairy, eggs, or peanuts/tree nuts, so that really makes my life difficult. I can't even think of good sources of fat that aren't dairy or nut related (except oil and meat). Off to google... :)
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Some of us pay money for meal plans to reach certain goals that are very specific not just weight loss related. Giving someone access to the meal plan takes away from it's value to the person who created it. Also in some cases there are confidentiality agreements in place as well. Instead of letting someone see the diary and try to follow an insane diet that is very specific to my needs, I keep it locked.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Maybe that's my problem! I can never get to my fat goal either. I can't eat dairy, eggs, or peanuts/tree nuts, so that really makes my life difficult. I can't even think of good sources of fat that aren't dairy or nut related (except oil and meat). Off to google... :)

Yeah, nuts are big source for me. But olive oil is right up there with it. I cook almost everything I eat in olive oil. And when I eat raw veggies, they are usually dipped in hummus, peanut butter or dressed with an olive oil based dressing. Everything is yummier with fat.
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I see no reason to keep mine open for people who would rather profile creep than be friends.

Agreed! I had mine open until recently.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Its a tool I use for my progress. Not something I need for advice or motivation from others. All of our diets are very different, culturally, geographically, tastes and needs. I dont need to compare my eating habits with others, I know what is healthy and not that Im putting in my body.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Because if I don't my sister gets into it.
  • 999RJ999
    Options
    I keep mine open. I mean, face it, no one here knows me and moreover, I doubt anyone here would judge. I keep it open so that other people can get food ideas and see what one can happily eat within a certain calorie ranger. That is the same reason I look at other people's diaries. I'm pretty anonymous, so no one has friended me. But still, I hope that my diary helps others.
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I started with logging on my phone. I didn't know about the community or even that it was possible. Now that I do know about it, it doesn't seem necessary.

I don't want to have comments about my food. This doesn't mean I am hiding anything or that I'm not serious about weight loss. If I had it open, I think I would feel more pressure about having the perfect diary. I know from experience that this would then make me freak out and maybe not log honestly.

Also, I don't think it makes a difference to my weight loss so if something is working why change it.