Why do people hide their diaries?

Options
1101112131416»

Replies

• hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I don't keep mine open because I don't want any advice or accountability for my diet.

This x2.
    I don't have any problem with any such advice - I welcome constructive comment and ignore any negativity.
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    Because I like Big Mac's and there are a lot of McD!ck haters :flowerforyou:
    If it fits within your goals then ENJOY!

and ignore the scoffers - they re probably just jealous that they didn't thinnk of a plan that allowed this indulgence - now if only the calories and saturate would drop out of chocolate - just for Christmas, I'm not THAT greedy!
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    I see no reason to keep mine open for people who would rather profile creep than be friends.

This.
    Or have the food/calorie nazis pick it apart and tell you what you're doing wrong.
    Just let them try!
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    This topic:

beating_a_dead_horse_by_potatoehuman-d3fead4-1.jpg

Reason #1: Getting unsolicited advice backfires for me.
    To answer this same question for at least the 4th time, it's because some people (myself) don't like getting unsolicited advice. I'm doing the best I can and I barely making it as is. If I tried to do everything perfectly, it'd stress me out. To make the stressed out situation worse, I'm a stress binger. Basically my world works like this:

1.Open diary
    2. Receive one comment like "Looks good but you should eat less sodium"
    3. Start lying because I think people are watching me
    4. Binge from stress of being watched plus other life stresses (medical school)
    5. Quit because I get frustrated.

Sounds exaggerated? For you it probably is. For me, this is a very unpleasant reality that I am coping with. I am a messed up person. I accept this and do what I can to work around it.

Reason 2: I just find it creepy to know I can be watched

Again, probably not most people's first reaction. However, I just get this eerie vibe whenever I think about the idea that a total stranger can see what I'm eating. If you don't great for you. I'm not you and you're not me. Go for the open diary hip hip hooray just leave me out of it.

Reason 3: No one on this forum can agree on what is "the best" and people love to "help" when you're not doing what has worked for them.

Vegan, low carb, no carb, high carb, high protein, low protein, starvation, vegetarian, earth friends meat eater, low sodium, supplements everywhere, lean shake, skinny girl, no alcohol, no pork, no red meat, no fish, paleio, whole grains, portion control, binge days, more veggies, more fruit, no wheat, gluten free, weight watchers, soy free, almond, milk, whole milk, raw diet, no juice, no soda, no sugar, low calorie, eat more to weigh less, no splenda...

MAKE IT STOP MY HEAD HURTS!

The only thing we have all agreed on so far is that drinking water is probably a good idea.

If I strictly follow advice from just three of those listed above all at once, I could have a diet that is totally impossible for me and probably unhealthy because it would involve eating nothing.

Reason 4: Why would I open myself to being judged if I know I won't like it?

Just yesterday a girl started a topic complaining all her friend's ate crap and that because they did they would never get anywhere. Aside form the fact that this is not my experience (I ate ice cream and lost 10 lbs, oh lordy!), Just reading the post stressed me out. I replied a few times to the topic and then realized that it was better for me to just let it go because it was not worth it.

Other people on this forum have received mail to the effect of "had a cocktail last night? YOU'LL BE FAT FOREVER!"

I don't like being judged for what I eat. I try very hard to to judge others for what they eat. Therefore, opening my diary to a potential problem doesn't seem like a good decision to me.

Reason 5: I'm not a people person.

I have friends on this website. I like hearing their silly little comments and laughing with them about life. However, when it comes to goal setting for exercise and weight loss, I have a VERY VERY internal locus of control

TL:DR: Because I don't want too.
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    The best reason anyone has put forward - irrefutable and utterly defendable.
    Doesn't work for me though, because I DO want to.

Freedom: I will!
    and
    Freedom: I won't!

Breathe the fresh air.
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    It's because not everyone is nice. Not everyone wants to just say " HI " and give you "positive critisizm" some people are rude and if you slip up once its the end of the world and nobody wants to hear it. People should focus on themselves and stop worrying about other people unless someone ASKS for advice.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I don't keep mine open because I don't want any advice or accountability for my diet.

This.
  • MsJayeKaye
    MsJayeKaye Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    It's because not everyone is nice. Not everyone wants to just say " HI " and give you "positive critisizm" some people are rude and if you slip up once its the end of the world and nobody wants to hear it. People should focus on themselves and stop worrying about other people unless someone ASKS for advice.

^This
  • hobbitgrrl
    hobbitgrrl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My diary is private because I'm private. To each their own. I don't criticize those with open diaries, and I'd appreciate the same respect in return.
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    granted - next please!
  • misskim80
    misskim80 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed for few reasons.

1. is even though i eat under calories needed daily. i do not eat totally clean.
    2. i do not have $$ to eat as clean as some of my firends do , if i had $$ to buy alot of things to eat clean i def would.
    3. sometimes i eat bad things, i know they are bad but we are all human.

my bff had hers open i glanced at it 1x just to see how she ate , she eats alot all the time nothing compared to me. She eats awesome.

I figure only one that can judge or hold anyone accountable is themselves.

If i had the resources i def would eat better. i do need to eat like i was before def cleaner then what i prob am now. Now i am eating to much sodium with these healthy cohice dinners
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    No one expects perfection - or do they?

I wouldn't be here if I had been perfectly nourished all my life since I am not one of the crowd who, apparently, only logged on in order to flaunt their navels in public.
  • emily_bird
    Options
    Just wondering why people don't publicly share their food diaries on here or even lock them with passwords? I love clicking on someone's forum post name and checking out their food diaries for comparison and learning sake but many have their diaries locked or hidden from public view. I realize many probably might not know that they have their settings on private or for friends only.. but just curious anyways. I just don't see any real negative consequences for making them public versus showing them so that others can compare and learn from them based on individual goals.

Some people aren't into the whole social networking thing and so they want to use the features of MFP as opposed to any social feedback. Not everyone wants to share or is willing to share their own information.

Also, some people don't use MFP for the calorie thing.I don't count calories or log my food into MFP at all. The only reason I'm on MFP is because it allows me to find out information about exercise programs.

You have to remember that everyone is using MFP for different reasons. Some are on here for serious tracking, help, social networking, just for the sake of having an account etc.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    This topic:

beating_a_dead_horse_by_potatoehuman-d3fead4-1.jpg

Reason #1: Getting unsolicited advice backfires for me.
    To answer this same question for at least the 4th time, it's because some people (myself) don't like getting unsolicited advice. I'm doing the best I can and I barely making it as is. If I tried to do everything perfectly, it'd stress me out. To make the stressed out situation worse, I'm a stress binger. Basically my world works like this:

1.Open diary
    2. Receive one comment like "Looks good but you should eat less sodium"
    3. Start lying because I think people are watching me
    4. Binge from stress of being watched plus other life stresses (medical school)
    5. Quit because I get frustrated.

Sounds exaggerated? For you it probably is. For me, this is a very unpleasant reality that I am coping with. I am a messed up person. I accept this and do what I can to work around it.

Reason 2: I just find it creepy to know I can be watched

Again, probably not most people's first reaction. However, I just get this eerie vibe whenever I think about the idea that a total stranger can see what I'm eating. If you don't great for you. I'm not you and you're not me. Go for the open diary hip hip hooray just leave me out of it.

Reason 3: No one on this forum can agree on what is "the best" and people love to "help" when you're not doing what has worked for them.

Vegan, low carb, no carb, high carb, high protein, low protein, starvation, vegetarian, earth friends meat eater, low sodium, supplements everywhere, lean shake, skinny girl, no alcohol, no pork, no red meat, no fish, paleio, whole grains, portion control, binge days, more veggies, more fruit, no wheat, gluten free, weight watchers, soy free, almond, milk, whole milk, raw diet, no juice, no soda, no sugar, low calorie, eat more to weigh less, no splenda...

MAKE IT STOP MY HEAD HURTS!

The only thing we have all agreed on so far is that drinking water is probably a good idea.

If I strictly follow advice from just three of those listed above all at once, I could have a diet that is totally impossible for me and probably unhealthy because it would involve eating nothing.

Reason 4: Why would I open myself to being judged if I know I won't like it?

Just yesterday a girl started a topic complaining all her friend's ate crap and that because they did they would never get anywhere. Aside form the fact that this is not my experience (I ate ice cream and lost 10 lbs, oh lordy!), Just reading the post stressed me out. I replied a few times to the topic and then realized that it was better for me to just let it go because it was not worth it.

Other people on this forum have received mail to the effect of "had a cocktail last night? YOU'LL BE FAT FOREVER!"

I don't like being judged for what I eat. I try very hard to to judge others for what they eat. Therefore, opening my diary to a potential problem doesn't seem like a good decision to me.

Reason 5: I'm not a people person.

I have friends on this website. I like hearing their silly little comments and laughing with them about life. However, when it comes to goal setting for exercise and weight loss, I have a VERY VERY internal locus of control

I think I love you.