The Friend Request Gauntlet

Options
ScatteredThoughts
ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
When someone sends you a friend request, do you

a) Just hit Accept. What is the worst that could happen?
b) Immediately check out their profile. Is it filled out? Is it funny/scary/informative? Are there naughty/hot photos?
c) Check out their Friends list. All men? All women? Is your arch nemesis there?
d) Subject them to the immediate scrutiny of your existing friends. Crowd sourcing for the win!
e) Resort to tools such as Google and Tineye. What is the REAL dirt on this person?
f) Other

Inquiring minds want to know!

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    B
    C
    D

D is only if they don't include a message..
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    A.

Really, it's no big deal. If they turn out to not fit, there's a button for that.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    They need to promise me gifts...that's all
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If there is a thoughtful message with the request (that lets me know the person either read my profile or "knows" me from the boards, I accept immediately.

If there is no message or a generic message and I don't recognize the person as having mutual friends or from the boards, I usually decline without question. Every once in a while, I'll check out the profile first.

On the rare occassion I've accepted such a person, he or she has not interacted with me at all after the acceptance, so I think my instincts are right. I am not a friend collector. The people on my list are there because we connected somehow and continue to do so.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I tend to check out their profile quickly, but only to make sure that they have more than a couple of existing friends, or else it seems a bit weird that I've randomly received a request.

If they don't send a message, they get automatically declined. If they can't be bothered to send even a couple of lines explaining who they are and why they've added me in the first place, I assume they aren't going to be very communicative from then on.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I immediately reject if no message.

I want active friends who BS a lot on their newsfeed and have a sense of humor. I'm mainly here for entertainment with a side of health and fitness, so "support" isn't my main concern.

Typically I know a person's username and recognize them when they friend me or for me to friend them.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Blood & urine sample
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Wonder why they chose me. I'm not a nice person.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

b) Immediately check out their profile. Is it filled out? Is it funny/scary/informative? Are there naughty/hot photos?
    c) Check out their Friends list. All men? All women? Is your arch nemesis there?
    d) Subject them to the immediate scrutiny of your existing friends. Crowd sourcing for the win!
    e) Resort to tools such as Google and Tineye. What is the REAL dirt on this person?
    f) Other

• LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

f) Other

They could be a Creepy McCreepster.....;)

Why not include a message with your friend request...
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Accept, even without a message. Really, I don't know why people make such a big deal if there's no frigging message!
    31993703 Posts: 1,144
    Options
    Always accept. If they start to annoy me, I will delete them.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Accept, even without a message. Really, I don't know why people make such a big deal if there's no frigging message!

Because it's just f*cking weird..
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

f) Other

They could write a nice message, have a good profile and seem decent enough, and still be Creepy McCreepster.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    A

If we don't click I unfriend them.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If there's a meaningful message about why they want to be mfp's (we share the same view on x, we have the same y, I saw you on z board) I just accept. When there's a generic message or no message I ask my current mfp's if what they think, but generally I decline.
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

f) Other

They could write a nice message, have a good profile and seem decent enough, and still be Creepy McCreepster.

This is true but why accept someone that doesn't have to time to write a message with the request. They are likely not to interact and I like interaction. ;)
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I usually don't accept if they have no message unless I've seen them around and liked their posts.

I don't add them if they say something creepy or have 300plus scantily clad teenagers in their FL.

I don't add if they use the words 'weight loss journey', 'inspirational Moms' or 'my hubby.'

I don't accept if they have no head, no profile pic or only one picture that looks questionable.

Simple really!!! Be funny, have a photo, don't be a douchecanoe!!!!
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    A
    B
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    F.

I usually decline , I just don't get the whole internet friend thing .
    I usually come to a message boards to read , learn and participate a little and then I'm out .