Substitute for Bananas? Or don't bother?

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Yeah I read your diary but you're not logging. If you don't log, you really don't know how many calories you're eating. It's not really a mystery.

And I know people may jump on me for this, but if you're not working out and you're eating at the same calorie allocation you had when you were more active, you probably should cut by a couple hundred calories.
  • Absaluteme
    Absaluteme Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You've lost 38lbs and you might wanna give up Bananas because you've heard something?? Think you might be doing something right. Bananas are good for you. It's not about eating rubbish in this case, it's about listening to it. Keep up the good work.
  • PerfectTwo8512
    Options
    Eat the F@cking bananas!!
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Bananas rock. Had at least one most days during weight loss mode...still have them as I maintain. Don't listen to peeps who tell you not to include them. That is my opinion at least.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    If you read below, the riper a banana is, the more simple sugar you get instead of complex sugar. It's not necessarily 'bad' for you, but certainly it will give highs and lows for sugar levels rather than the normal smooth levels most other fruits give, especially as a banana is more yellow / brown.

"Changes in Sugar Content
    The sugar content of bananas changes as they ripen, in a process controlled by a plant hormone known as ethylene. Green bananas are almost all starch and have low sugar content. As the bananas ripen, the starch content decreases, then sucrose appears. Next, fructose and glucose appear and increase. After about 28 days of ripening, sucrose begins to decline. The sugar content in overripe bananas can be dramatically higher than in bananas that are underripe and optimally ripe.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/482491-fructose-and-glucose-in-bananas/#ixzz2F49jmMTd"
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If you read below, the riper a banana is, the more simple sugar you get instead of complex sugar. It's not necessarily 'bad' for you, but certainly it will give highs and lows for sugar levels rather than the normal smooth levels most other fruits give, especially as a banana is more yellow / brown.

I'm sorry... I didn't read past this. Where did you get the idea that sugar levels are ever smooth? Every time you eat, your sugar levels spike. There is nothing, aside from water, that you can consume that does not cause this to happen. ALL food has a certain level of sugar.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I struggle meeting my daily potassium goals, so bananas do me good!

Thats true, and potatoes are an even higher source of potassium
    I'll "see" your bananas and potatoes and "raise" you with a bet of 8 oz of LOW-SODIUM V-8 juice (50 cals; 800-900mg potas.) :tongue:
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

I'm sorry... I didn't read past this. Where did you get the idea that sugar levels are ever smooth? Every time you eat, your sugar levels spike. There is nothing, aside from water, that you can consume that does not cause this to happen. ALL food has a certain level of sugar.

wrong
  • Danardeener
    Options
    Don't fix it, if it ain't broke! Bananas rule!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Bananas, bananas, bananas!

BA-NA-NAS!!!!!!!!!!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

wrong

Sources?
  • twinketta
    Options
    Bananas are great and have a lot of medicinal purposes too.

Keep eating your bananas :smile:

If you have problems sleeping eat a banana also x
  • Sharkington
    Options
    tumblr_m2pfxbrRoo1qi7e0u.gif

Just eat your bananas and be happy. c:
  • twinketta
    Options

wrong

Sources?

eggs, meat, fish, fats and oils do not contain sugar
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Switch off... I have bananas a few days a week, granny smith apples a few days a week and if they're good quality and price, i'll have berries every now and then.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

wrong

Sources?

Those have a low effect on blood sugar... but it is ignorant to say that they have no effect on blood sugar.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Tell me how your 93 grams of sugar today was good for you.

Holy diary shaming!
  • twinketta
    Options

wrong

Sources?

Those have a low effect on blood sugar... but it is ignorant to say that they have no effect on blood sugar.

My answer of `wrong` was to your suggestion that ALL foods contain a level of sugar?

This is clearly wrong.

Whilst I do agree that watching sugar levels is important
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Looks like you have done pretty well with the bananas... I would not worry about it unless you are concerned about depriving a monkey of a snack in some 3rd world country... LOL> No, seriously, they are so much healthier than candies, cakes and other processed junk. Enjoy
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Bananas are good. Sugar in fruit is good. Sugar in anything else that isn't fruit sugar or natural cane is bad. End of story. :)

Oh good lord...

Did I say something wrong?

Yes you did.

So, what is wrong? o:

see bold.

what about milk?

Ok, ok... NATURAL sugar in anything is good, processed is bad. Is that better? That's what I meant in the first place. :D

No - it is saying the same thing, and is wrong for the same reason.

Tell me how your 93 grams of sugar today was good for you.

Oh, now we are going to "sugar shame" each other? F You! (sorry, that last comment just really pissed me off. Maybe I need a banana).