Dads- if you're son wants a baby doll....?

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I agree with you: get him the dang baby doll. I thought this was considered a "normal" thing for like. . .decades (didn't they have the "My Buddy" doll in the 80s?). Little boys should learn to be more nurturing anyway.
    QFT
    i dont really get the whole "boys only like blue and race cars" "girls only like pink and baby dolls" thing - my youngest wanted to be a boy pirate for halloween this year, and she rocked it. she wanted a Sportacus birthday party one year, it was awesome and she was thrilled. she loves legos and tonka trucks. she also plays barbies and baby dolls and princess tea party dress up. my oldest daughter loves to climbs trees and dig up worms and play barbies and polly pocket...
    both of my girls are interested in many things, and i feel i would be a horrible parent if i limited them only to what some in society feel are "girly" things.

^ What she said. And I've known guys who admit to playing with dolls when they were young and they aren't gay. I can't believe someone actually just said that playing with dolls links boys to homosexuality. Seriously -.- I have a friend whose little boy plays with dolls. He also plays with legos, trucks, and action figures (which, come on peeps - they are dolls).

One other example would be the ventriloquist Jeff Dunham who played with "dolls" (and yes he calls them dolls) since he was a little kid. Guess he must be in the closet then, huh?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I've read a few studies linking little boys and dolls to homosexuality. Can't remember if it either was an indicator of them already having gay tendencies or if it actually played a part in their sexual development.

Either way, hell no. (Not a dad yet...but my son won't be playing with any dolls that I bought)

Wrong. There is no such study and if there is, it is not a peer reviewed scientific study.

Well, I've read the studies. Their legitimacy of course is unknown to me. But I think I'll trust what I did read along with my own intuition over your baseless denial.

It's not a baseless denial. I am educated in science and the scientific method. My husband has a PhD in science. I spend most of my time with scientists. And I also worked with babies and studied child development from a scientific bases as well. You are the one baselessly believing "whatever you read".
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dad. But my youngest boy had a baby cousin and after seeing her he wanted a baby of his own. His dad and I bought him a cabbage patch for Christmas that year. He was two and a half. He carried his little guy around the house and was very nurturing to it. While also playing with his work bench and duplo blocks and plenty of "boy" toys. He's 23 now and a fire fighter and about to have a family of his own. Nothing in the world wrong with your son having a baby of his own. Trust me. He'll outgrow it in favor of "boy toys". It seems to be ingrained in them. Kind of like the need to make EVERYTHING into a sword! LOL
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom and have two daughters, BUT, if it's what will make him happy, why not? Isn't that one of our main goals as parents, to see our children happy? My girls play with trucks and cars, in the mud, get gross... whatever makes them happy =)
  • eatathome
    eatathome Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Aside from the fact that I'd love my son if he were gay or straight.

As a child and adolescent therapist, this thread depresses me. I need to go count calories or something.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Boys grow up to be dads, right? So what is wrong with them playing with dolls.

Pink and blue are just colors, why is it okay for a girl to like blue but if a boy likes pink he's labeled feminine? And sometimes even confused?

Let the kid play with what he or she likes to play with, as long as it isn't harmful to themselves or others. Those things DO NOT make an individual gay or straight. Come on people.

I never said it makes you gay. lol However, I am a firm believer in, how you are raised is a big part of what shapes you info what you become.

It wasn't just towards you. I do believe in nature AND nurture, but I also firmly believe being gay or straight isn't something you "grow into". You either are or you aren't., some people have a harder time determining if they are if they aren't, but that doesn't mean it was because of how they were raised. Just like you can't make a gay person straight, you can't make a straight person gay. It doesn't work that way.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    im not a dad, but, i mean sure if there around the house cause you have a girl and he wants to play with his sister..
    but, boys should be boys, mud,dirt, trucks,cars,spiderman..

on the other hand, i was raised by my grandma, and we played outside, we didnt hangout in the house all day and she would just watched us out the window or the door and we knew better not to go by the road...
  • mercymarque
    Options
    obviouly not a dad. got two sons. NO WAY
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I've read a few studies linking little boys and dolls to homosexuality. Can't remember if it either was an indicator of them already having gay tendencies or if it actually played a part in their sexual development.

Either way, hell no. (Not a dad yet...but my son won't be playing with any dolls that I bought)

Wrong. There is no such study and if there is, it is not a peer reviewed scientific study.

Well, I've read the studies. Their legitimacy of course is unknown to me. But I think I'll trust what I did read along with my own intuition over your baseless denial.

It's not a baseless denial. I am educated in science and the scientific method. My husband has a PhD in science. I spend most of my time with scientists. And I also worked with babies and studied child development from a scientific bases as well. You are the one baselessly believing "whatever you read".

Ahh so because your husband has a Phd in "science" (a large field...lol) and you work with scientists... you now know the existence and legitimacy of every scientific study. Yeah got it.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I'll get any future son of mine a doll if he wants it.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    He has an older brother, who at daycare was the love of all the little girls, and often had to be the dad and play house. They have no sisters, all the toys we have are cars and trucks, etc. They have a work bench, and "tools" and every BOY toy you could imagine- remember I have 4 - yes, 4 brothers, and guess what?! They all have a baby girl first, and THEN if they had another child it was a boy- so uncles, and Papa (Grampa), Daddy, and myself have supplied all the "boy" type toys you can imagine.

Right now, he's "adopted" a snowman with a knit hat and "ice skates" glued to it's feet as the baby- I just don't think it's a big deal. My youngest brother had a Cabbage Patch doll named Michael when we were little kids- and he's one of the manliest men I know- hunter, lives in Montana, goes camping, and works as a foreman on a big estate property doing all the caretaking- he's all beardy and "tough," and one awesome Dad to one VERY princess-like little girl that's 5, and makes him play tea party, and has painted his nails, but she ADORES her dad. He has no sons, and loves sending stuff to my boys. I just don't think it's a big deal, but looking for a way to convince hubs that it's fine.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I think there is way too much reading between the lines here...

No one one said a boy playing with dolls makes him gay.

the OP asked for an opinion. She got it.. Respect others opinions lol sheesh people lol

Did you read the comments? People did say that.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Boys grow up to be dads, right? So what is wrong with them playing with dolls.

Pink and blue are just colors, why is it okay for a girl to like blue but if a boy likes pink he's labeled feminine? And sometimes even confused?

Let the kid play with what he or she likes to play with, as long as it isn't harmful to themselves or others. Those things DO NOT make an individual gay or straight. Come on people.

I never said it makes you gay. lol However, I am a firm believer in, how you are raised is a big part of what shapes you info what you become.

It wasn't just towards you. I do believe in nature AND nurture, but I also firmly believe being gay or straight isn't something you "grow into". You either are or you aren't., some people have a harder time determining if they are if they aren't, but that doesn't mean it was because of how they were raised. Just like you can't make a gay person straight, you can't make a straight person gay. It doesn't work that way.

I love how you put that. Awesome! Examples would be, of course, straight parents who raise kids (even based on standards of what society feels boys and girls should play with), who are gay. And gay parents who raise kids who turn out straight. What your kids play with isn't going to predetermine their sexuality. -.-
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Give the little lad a dall! I would be more shocked that they still made cabbage patch dolls than seeing a boy nurturing a doll. Besides what are action figures?
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I think there is way too much reading between the lines here...

No one one said a boy playing with dolls makes him gay.

the OP asked for an opinion. She got it.. Respect others opinions lol sheesh people lol

Did you read the comments? People did say that.

No they didn't. I merely claimed to have read some studies showing a link. Not a cause. You can't read yet you are an expert in the scientific process. mmmhmm
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    ALSO, if my future son comes to me and says he's gay (which won't be because he played with dolls, btw), I will not give a *kitten*.
  • smalleyez06
    smalleyez06 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My son does not specifically have his own baby doll but plays with his sister's dolls every now and then. He will also sit down and have a tea party with her and then demolish the table they were playing on with his construction set. He runs around in my heels with his tool belt banging on walls. He is 4, kids are exploring and learning at this age. Oh and my husband does not have issues with any of this.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom, not a dad, but...

Playing daddy is an important and normal part of growing up.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Heck, I'm not a dad, but a mom, and we only have 1 child a boy., and he's 4.
    He loves babies. And he wants a baby.
    Keeps telling us that when he's older he's going to have a baby.
    And will tell random strangers that "We're going to the baby store to buy me a baby"

Now that I think about it.....maybe I should get him a baby doll.....
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Heck, I'm not a dad, but a mom, and we only have 1 child a boy., and he's 4.
    He loves babies. And he wants a baby.
    Keeps telling us that when he's older he's going to have a baby.
    And will tell random strangers that "We're going to the baby store to buy me a baby"

Now that I think about it.....maybe I should get him a baby doll.....

Awww, that's cute :)
This discussion has been closed.