Dads- if you're son wants a baby doll....?

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I've read a few studies linking little boys and dolls to homosexuality. Can't remember if it either was an indicator of them already having gay tendencies or if it actually played a part in their sexual development.

Either way, hell no. (Not a dad yet...but my son won't be playing with any dolls that I bought)

Wrong. There is no such study and if there is, it is not a peer reviewed scientific study.

Well, I've read the studies. Their legitimacy of course is unknown to me. But I think I'll trust what I did read along with my own intuition over your baseless denial.

It's not a baseless denial. I am educated in science and the scientific method. My husband has a PhD in science. I spend most of my time with scientists. And I also worked with babies and studied child development from a scientific bases as well. You are the one baselessly believing "whatever you read".

Ahh so because your husband has a Phd in "science" (a large field...lol) and you work with scientists... you now know the existence and legitimacy of every scientific study. Yeah got it.

I've studied childhood development and all the studies show a positive effect of boys playing with dolls and there are no scientific studies supporting a link as you claimed. You clearly do not know much about the current state of the scientific field, or even what it takes to be a scientist to respond as you have. I'm not going to try and explain it to you. I also know that based on this, you do not have the access to scientific, peer reviewed studies which are made available to scientists or cost thousands of dollars to access.
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I've read a few studies linking little boys and dolls to homosexuality. Can't remember if it either was an indicator of them already having gay tendencies or if it actually played a part in their sexual development.

Either way, hell no. (Not a dad yet...but my son won't be playing with any dolls that I bought)

Wrong. There is no such study and if there is, it is not a peer reviewed scientific study.

Well, I've read the studies. Their legitimacy of course is unknown to me. But I think I'll trust what I did read along with my own intuition over your baseless denial.

And there dozens of extremely well reviewed studies proving doll use and toy use has substantial effects on child development, future parenting, etc. To think it doesn't affect sexuality is absurd.

So then how would you explain the little boys who played with Tonka Trucks and nothing but "boy" toys and grew up to be homosexual anyway?
  • Lake_Po
    Lake_Po Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If a boy wants a doll, let him have a doll. If you don't make it seem like it's a bad thing, he'll never see it as bad and he'll grow out of it as he gets older or he'll grow mature about it, be secure in himself as a person and probably make a really great dad one day.
  • Lake_Po
    Lake_Po Posts: 228 Member
    Options

And there dozens of extremely well reviewed studies proving doll use and toy use has substantial effects on child development, future parenting, etc. To think it doesn't affect sexuality is absurd.

So then how would you explain the little boys who played with Tonka Trucks and nothing but "boy" toys and grew up to be homosexual anyway?

and I'm sure playing with all those manly, half naked, muscle clad action figures is doing wonders for his heterosexuality.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I would flip it around to him, ask him what about if he had a daughter - would she be allowed to do "boy things". Would he give his daughter a truck to play with? Would he stop her from wanting to be a super hero?
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Good grief.. My son played with dolls for most of his childhood and youth. He liked them and liked to play "Daddy". He also loves stuffed animals to this day. He's 18 now .. and is off to college to ultimately become a Wild Animal Vet. He's quite happy with his manhood and is very much into women .. He enjoyed Baby Jesus as much as being the caring "Big Brother" since he never got to be one in real life. It made him feel important and responsible..

There is absolutely nothing gender specific about dolls/babies .. I was a Tomboy growing up. I played with boys, I played with trucks, construction sets, legos, baseballs, footballs, etc.. I joined the U.S. Marine Corps .. and it never turned me into a lesbian.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

umm really? This might be the dumbest thing I've read on this forum.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I think there is way too much reading between the lines here...

No one one said a boy playing with dolls makes him gay.

the OP asked for an opinion. She got it.. Respect others opinions lol sheesh people lol

You're absolutely right. I don't agree with your opinion on the topic. But the OP was soliciting opinions, and you shared yours. You're entitled to it even if it doens't agree with mine! LOL
  • MaintainCats
    MaintainCats Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My son loves dolls more than my daughter. It makes sense. He grew up with a baby sister at 2 years old whereas she hasn't ever really been around babies.

My son also has had painted nails.

Painted nails, pink, and dolls don't make a kid gay. My husband hasn't batted an eye at any of it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    This just in: GI Joe "action figures" are dolls. I guess if the doll is holding a gun it makes it okay?

He wants a doll, let him play with a doll. It's not a big deal.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I would flip it around to him, ask him what about if he had a daughter - would she be allowed to do "boy things". Would he give his daughter a truck to play with? Would he stop her from wanting to be a super hero?

thanks- I might try this approach. I'm pretty sure this was more about hubs following how he was raised with his dad, and not about our son - but think this is a great approach- since there's only my sister and myself, and I took Welding in High School - my dad supported all the "guy" stuff I wanted to do- and I just liked being in the shop with my dad and brothers- so I have the nicest Socket set of all of them - since Dad said I took better care of the tools......that socket set is in my garage now, with hub's prized Camaro.
  • MaryBOP
    Options
    I think your son is also more secure in his masculinity than MaxBiker.
    I agree!
  • Guines9
    Guines9 Posts: 137
    Options
    PUT HIM WITH A BUNCH OF NORMAL KIDS A LITTLE OLDER THAN HE AND THEY WILL STRAIGTHEN HIM OUT REAL QUICK.
  • trojanbb
    Options

It's not a baseless denial. I am educated in science and the scientific method. My husband has a PhD in science. I spend most of my time with scientists. And I also worked with babies and studied child development from a scientific bases as well. You are the one baselessly believing "whatever you read".

Ahh so because your husband has a Phd in "science" (a large field...lol) and you work with scientists... you now know the existence and legitimacy of every scientific study. Yeah got it.

I've studied childhood development and all the studies show a positive effect of boys playing with dolls and there are no scientific studies supporting a link as you claimed. You clearly do not know much about the current state of the scientific field, or even what it takes to be a scientist to respond as you have. I'm not going to try and explain it to you. I also know that based on this, you do not have the access to scientific, peer reviewed studies which are made available to scientists or cost thousands of dollars to access.

Actually I do have access, via university and corporate accounts. Nice try though. In fact, I am pretty sure I have just as much insight into the current state of science as you do.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    <
    This is my son - he's not even 2 years old yet. thanks for all the comments and suggestions. :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Actually I do have access, via university and corporate accounts. Nice try though. In fact, I am pretty sure I have just as much insight into the current state of science as you do.

I'm pretty sure you don't.
  • EmGetsFit
    EmGetsFit Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    To the "men are men" trolls on this thread: It's almost 2013. Boys can play with dolls, too. It's a normal behavior and shows nurturing qualities. Girls can play with erector sets and toy cars. Please, I beg of you, evolve already.
    To the OP: Be proud of your son who is showing nurturing, caring qualities. He sounds like a great kid. :) I'm sure your husband understands that and is just a bit initially apprehensive. It's not him, it's the long-running societal standards that affect our thinking sometimes.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

Broscience doesn't count, just to be clear.
  • Guines9
    Guines9 Posts: 137
    Options
    I STILL PLAY WITH DOLLS NOW AND THEN, BUT THESE ARE REAL!.... COME HERE SUGAR....LET ME BE YOUR DADDY...
  • trojanbb
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you don't.

Seriously though, why be so argumentative ? How do u know what he does or doesnt have access to !

Dude, she has a minor in biology, She knows things
This discussion has been closed.