Food Diary CHEATERS!

Options

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    It seems the bigger MFP gets (I have to assume it's growing), the more debate that occurs. Just about every post seems to turn into a debate these days. Here's hoping it doesn't get too out of hand. :drinker:
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I know!!! Amen to that! Now I have to plan my dinner lol....wait a min, I did not think about food while we were debating!! I SOLVED MY WEIGHT PROBLEM....I just need to engage in debates 13 hours a day, and I will lose 50 lbs in about 8 wks.....WOO HOO!:heart:

LOL! soooo funny!

Let's start a debate site! We can do it in 6 weeks! :laugh:

LOL.

YES! Distraction is the key! Don't think about food. Don't think about food. Don't think about food.

You guys of course are welcome to check out my forum. It's at http://www.opusnocturna.com/forum.

There's not many of us, but we're all 20-something women. We talk, we vent, we debate, we share stories about our lives. Nothing fancy, but we're always looking to add new people to the group. New perspectives, etc. I LOVE MFP and spend a lot of time here, but my forum is where I go when I want to discuss NON weight-loss related stuff.

Will definitely be checking that out! Thanks!
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    It seems the bigger MFP gets (I have to assume it's growing), the more debate that occurs. Just about every post seems to turn into a debate these days. Here's hoping it doesn't get too out of hand. :drinker:

I don't know, that's debatable.

Okay, now I’m just being a smart-alec.
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options

Amen BrendaLee. I always enjoy your lighthearted comments. I feel like you contribute a lot to MFP. I am always laughing at something you say. Thanks for your comments. There's a reason why they call us a community. I hope that doesn't get lost in the masses joining MFP.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options

Well, you two cents just became worth a million dollars.

I do apologize if I offended anyone; I never meant to hurt anyone's feelings, and, while I did post this thread, my feeling were hurt too by those that did not take the time to think about what they said when they posted. I was definitely not expecting that! I have mulled over this issue for a few weeks now because I did not want to hurt anyone. But, as a member of this site, I should be able to reach out to others on the site, for support, opinions, CONSTRUCTIVE critism, because I am, by no means, perfect. I have admitted that SEVERAL times on this thread alone. But it is frustrating for me to see people lie. Period. Personal issue or not, I thought that's what this site was here for.

I do think people need to look inward if they are looking for change-but that is the only part of your response I disagree with. You have proven your point elloquently and so I thank you for that.

Again, I aplogize if I hurt anyone's feelings; I truly mean no harm.

I know you didn't mean any harm. I think that feelings were hurt because people read too much into it, attached their own issues to it. I also understand how some people would feel 'called out', if they behaved in a way you described (Even if you weren't talking about them) .

But, really, the initial post turned into something else entirely. I know that you couldn't have seen that coming when you posted in the first place. I also think you're a smart woman with good things to say. :flowerforyou:

The point I was making was that, feelings wound up hurt, period. And that makes me sad 'cause we're all on the same team. So I wanted to say something to get that out there, because we shouldn't be fighting eachother. We should be fighting.... the fat-monster!

since i was one that had my feeling hurt, i thought i'd should reply because it wasn't this thread that hurt them. it was another. and it wasn't really what they had to say, but how they said it. but you know what? after stewing about it all night (i was still so worked up this morning that i replied to them even though they had edited and deleted everything they said :D), i realized that i had *invited* it by posting my topic. not everyone is going to know me or see my intentions. they can only work off their own assumptions. not everyone is going to read my mind on what i am wanting from posting in a forum.

even after all this, my diary is still public and will remain that way. if you want to take me to task for how i eat, do so respectfully and i will listen. of course, it did make me change my signature, my goals and tweak a couple of things in my diary, but i am grateful for that. :) i think it will cause a lot less confusion for a random person taking a glance at my profile. awareness is a good thing!
    dawn
  • karmasBFF
    Options

Well, you two cents just became worth a million dollars.

I do apologize if I offended anyone; I never meant to hurt anyone's feelings, and, while I did post this thread, my feeling were hurt too by those that did not take the time to think about what they said when they posted. I was definitely not expecting that! I have mulled over this issue for a few weeks now because I did not want to hurt anyone. But, as a member of this site, I should be able to reach out to others on the site, for support, opinions, CONSTRUCTIVE critism, because I am, by no means, perfect. I have admitted that SEVERAL times on this thread alone. But it is frustrating for me to see people lie. Period. Personal issue or not, I thought that's what this site was here for.

I do think people need to look inward if they are looking for change-but that is the only part of your response I disagree with. You have proven your point elloquently and so I thank you for that.

Again, I aplogize if I hurt anyone's feelings; I truly mean no harm.

I know you didn't mean any harm. I think that feelings were hurt because people read too much into it, attached their own issues to it. I also understand how some people would feel 'called out', if they behaved in a way you described (Even if you weren't talking about them) .

But, really, the initial post turned into something else entirely. I know that you couldn't have seen that coming when you posted in the first place. I also think you're a smart woman with good things to say. :flowerforyou:

The point I was making was that, feelings wound up hurt, period. And that makes me sad 'cause we're all on the same team. So I wanted to say something to get that out there, because we shouldn't be fighting eachother. We should be fighting.... the fat-monster!

since i was one that had my feeling hurt, i thought i'd should reply because it wasn't this thread that hurt them. it was another. and it wasn't really what they had to say, but how they said it. but you know what? after stewing about it all night (i was still so worked up this morning that i replied to them even though they had edited and deleted everything they said :D), i realized that i had *invited* it by posting my topic. not everyone is going to know me or see my intentions. they can only work off their own assumptions. not everyone is going to read my mind on what i am wanting from posting in a forum.

even after all this, my diary is still public and will remain that way. if you want to take me to task for how i eat, do so respectfully and i will listen. of course, it did make me change my signature, my goals and tweak a couple of things in my diary, but i am grateful for that. :) i think it will cause a lot less confusion for a random person taking a glance at my profile. awareness is a good thing!
    dawn

You know this was my post and I did the same thing....I tweaked....because I learned and I became aware!

Thanks for sharing!
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    I don't. The only time time I comment is when it pops up so in so has lost X amount in their weigh in or stuff like that. As for the food diary issue. I quess I am more worried about my own to keep a check on how much everyone else is consuming. I figure it is their business not mine. The only time I would look at someones food diary is if they asked me to for advice. I really don't think it would be a good idea to confront anyone about it. In my opinion it would just start trouble. I always keep my food diary on here private and now I am really glad.

JUST WANTED TO CONGRATULATE BAMAROSE ON ALL HER WEIGHT LOSS! THAT IS AWESOME AND I HOPE TO BE THERE TOO SOMEDAY!!!!!! :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Karma, I'm on your friends list, so I hope it isn't me you're talking about ! I don't think it would be, because I post the good, bad, and the ugly with what I eat!

As far as getting irritated with "food diary cheaters", it's cliche, but they are only cheating themselves. The sad thing is that they don't even realize how they are cheating themselves. Because once you start cheating, not writing everything down, and lying to yourself and others, you have taken away such a valuable tool in getting your food and weight under control. Once you start lying to yourself it's hard to stop, and hard to come back and use this tool the way it was intended to be used....if that makes any sense. I know that for me, counting calories was a last resort after a lifetime of being overweight/obese. I knew that if I screwed this up and started using this tool to further lie to myself, I'd either be fat forever or eventually have to get lap band surgery. There are some days where I don't track my calories at all or don't finish out a day, but I have never, ever knowingly put in wrong portions or chosen not to log stuff that I eat if I have decided to log that day. What would be the point of that? What a waste of time to log in some of my food and pretend like I didn't eat those french fries or drink that coke. I have thrown in the towel some days and just written that I don't know how many calories I consumed, and sometimes I try to think back and over-estimate my calories, but I'm probably not always accurate.

One of the awesome things about logging everything too, is that you start to figure out things like trigger foods, what eating times are best for you, what foods that you eat that help you stay within your calories, why you don't feel so good after eating certain things, etc. You get a really accurate picture of your eating/exercise habits, and for me, that was the first time in my life that I really understood my eating habits. It's taught me HOW to eat for the first time in my life.

So....you just keep plugging along, doing what you know you need to do. Your rewards will be reflected in your health and weight loss....those people are not fooling anyone when they say, "I ate 1200 calories everyday for a month, exercised everyday, and I gained five pounds!" Sorry, but my first response is that I don't buy it. You know if someone is really working the plan or not, because the plan works! Find encouragement from people who have changed, or who are serious about change.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I don't. The only time time I comment is when it pops up so in so has lost X amount in their weigh in or stuff like that. As for the food diary issue. I quess I am more worried about my own to keep a check on how much everyone else is consuming. I figure it is their business not mine. The only time I would look at someones food diary is if they asked me to for advice. I really don't think it would be a good idea to confront anyone about it. In my opinion it would just start trouble. I always keep my food diary on here private and now I am really glad.

JUST WANTED TO CONGRATULATE BAMAROSE ON ALL HER WEIGHT LOSS! THAT IS AWESOME AND I HOPE TO BE THERE TOO SOMEDAY!!!!!! :happy: :flowerforyou:

Thank You So Much!!!! It took a long time but I think if I can do it anyone can!! Good Luck To You!:drinker:
  • karmasBFF
    Options
    Karma, I'm on your friends list, so I hope it isn't me you're talking about ! I don't think it would be, because I post the good, bad, and the ugly with what I eat!

As far as getting irritated with "food diary cheaters", it's cliche, but they are only cheating themselves. The sad thing is that they don't even realize how they are cheating themselves. Because once you start cheating, not writing everything down, and lying to yourself and others, you have taken away such a valuable tool in getting your food and weight under control. Once you start lying to yourself it's hard to stop, and hard to come back and use this tool the way it was intended to be used....if that makes any sense. I know that for me, counting calories was a last resort after a lifetime of being overweight/obese. I knew that if I screwed this up and started using this tool to further lie to myself, I'd either be fat forever or eventually have to get lap band surgery. There are some days where I don't track my calories at all or don't finish out a day, but I have never, ever knowingly put in wrong portions or chosen not to log stuff that I eat if I have decided to log that day. What would be the point of that? What a waste of time to log in some of my food and pretend like I didn't eat those french fries or drink that coke. I have thrown in the towel some days and just written that I don't know how many calories I consumed, and sometimes I try to think back and over-estimate my calories, but I'm probably not always accurate.

One of the awesome things about logging everything too, is that you start to figure out things like trigger foods, what eating times are best for you, what foods that you eat that help you stay within your calories, why you don't feel so good after eating certain things, etc. You get a really accurate picture of your eating/exercise habits, and for me, that was the first time in my life that I really understood my eating habits. It's taught me HOW to eat for the first time in my life.

So....you just keep plugging along, doing what you know you need to do. Your rewards will be reflected in your health and weight loss....those people are not fooling anyone when they say, "I ate 1200 calories everyday for a month, exercised everyday, and I gained five pounds!" Sorry, but my first response is that I don't buy it. You know if someone is really working the plan or not, because the plan works! Find encouragement from people who have changed, or who are serious about change.

Crunchy,

You are one my biggest inspirations! So now, definitely not you! LOL You are so right about working the plan instead of the plan working for you!

I have gound encouragement in people who have changed....YOU!
  • karmasBFF
    Options

Thank You So Much!!!! It took a long time but I think if I can do it anyone can!! Good Luck To You!:drinker:

Truly amazing!! (sorry if I didnt acknowledge that sooner! I think I was still wayyyy to caught up in the issue!)
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I'm not trying to involve myself in the debate, but you seem to have redeemed yourself and vice versa. This thread could have been alot worse which is why I waited 3 hours before I even attempted to reply.

I just want to say that it concerns me that there is so much positive attention given to the "So and so completed her food diary and was under her calorie goal" The reason for my concern is this....

When I read threads, there is always someone screaming "Starvation Mode!" for anyone who who so much as misses a veggie on their plate. In addition, when you click "complete" you get a warning about "starvation mode". This is precieved as a bad thing on here, yet when someone completes their diary and is under the goal, they are congratulated. I also see when some one is not under, they get comments saying, "you'll do better tomorrow." (I've had this happen to me, and my diary is not public so I know nobody knows whats really going on.) Even when there is no indication that this member needs to do better, comments flow like water. How does anyone know the person who was under even ate enough food to keep their body nourished? Or, how does anybody know that person wasn't really just over by 3 calories or was just dead on?

I don't like to be congratulated for being under. I have an eating disorder. That is not good encouragment for me, that is like handing a glass of wine to an alcoholic. This is a major reason for my being very choosy about who I befriend on here and keeping my diary private. Some people think they are experts and rather than encourage, offer advise that they are not qualified to offer. Some people take things a little too far.

Someone mentioned earlier about a post from Mike about the "under" newsfeed being for encouragemenrt. I read that as well. I'm trying to find it, but maybe it might be easier to just ask Mike.:laugh: If I sit here looking and I'm crazy and he never said that, I'll be mad at me.

I made my diary public once and asked for help with something. I wound up feeling attacked and will never, EVER again let anyone see my diary except for my doctor and dietician. There are people on this site who could have lost 100 pounds on slimfast and special k, and some thay may have lost 100 pounds on fresh, whole, organic foods and proper excercise. Some people are actually educated, some are just know-it-alls. You never really know who is who. That is why I have learned: #1. take everything with a boulder of salt. #2. be very careful of who I befriend and #3. any and everything I post, no matter how well-intended, can be seriously blown out of proportion.

Anyway, I hope none of that will be viewed as debate. I'm just stating my opinions and concerns. I realize that you may not have meant to hurt anyone, and I respect that you offered and appology when your were called out. I do think that whoever you are talking about, or anyone who is on your friend list may be questioning themselves at this point. This thread has made a mark and I've seen it mentioned elsewhere on this site. Hopefully that person will not feel discouraged from seeking support and hopefully that person will read this entire thread to see your full point. :flowerforyou:
  • BamaRose0107
    Options

Truly amazing!! (sorry if I didnt acknowledge that sooner! I think I was still wayyyy to caught up in the issue!)

Thank You!!!

I understand, the topic kind of got out of hand for a little while. I truly don't think you were out to hurt anyone. I can tell by some of your later posts that you felt betrayed by the lies in a sense and needed support yourself, which is what we are all here for in the first place. All I can say is stuff happens. I think your original post might have come across in a different way then you meant for it to, but the good thing about posts like this is that we all can learn something from it!:flowerforyou: Hopefully everyone will take the time to read this topic all the way through, maybe it will lead to a revelation for some one!
  • karmasBFF
    Options
    I'm not trying to involve myself in the debate, but you seem to have redeemed yourself and vice versa. This thread could have been alot worse which is why I waited 3 hours before I even attempted to reply.

I just want to say that it concerns me that there is so much positive attention given to the "So and so completed her food diary and was under her calorie goal" The reason for my concern is this....

When I read threads, there is always someone screaming "Starvation Mode!" for anyone who who so much as misses a veggie on their plate. In addition, when you click "complete" you get a warning about "starvation mode". This is precieved as a bad thing on here, yet when someone completes their diary and is under the goal, they are congratulated. I also see when some one is not under, they get comments saying, "you'll do better tomorrow." (I've had this happen to me, and my diary is not public so I know nobody knows whats really going on.) Even when there is no indication that this member needs to do better, comments flow like water. How does anyone know the person who was under even ate enough food to keep their body nourished? Or, how does anybody know that person wasn't really just over by 3 calories or was just dead on?

I don't like to be congratulated for being under. I have an eating disorder. That is not good encouragment for me, that is like handing a glass of wine to an alcoholic. This is a major reason for my being very choosy about who I befriend on here and keeping my diary private. Some people think they are experts and rather than encourage, offer advise that they are not qualified to offer. Some people take things a little too far.

Someone mentioned earlier about a post from Mike about the "under" newsfeed being for encouragemenrt. I read that as well. I'm trying to find it, but maybe it might be easier to just ask Mike.:laugh: If I sit here looking and I'm crazy and he never said that, I'll be mad at me.

I made my diary public once and asked for help with something. I wound up feeling attacked and will never, EVER again let anyone see my diary except for my doctor and dietician. There are people on this site who could have lost 100 pounds on slimfast and special k, and some thay may have lost 100 pounds on fresh, whole, organic foods and proper excercise. Some people are actually educated, some are just know-it-alls. You never really know who is who. That is why I have learned: #1. take everything with a boulder of salt. #2. be very careful of who I befriend and #3. any and everything I post, no matter how well-intended, can be seriously blown out of proportion.

Anyway, I hope none of that will be viewed as debate. I'm just stating my opinions and concerns. I realize that you may not have meant to hurt anyone, and I respect that you offered and appology when your were called out. I do think that whoever you are talking about, or anyone who is on your friend list may be questioning themselves at this point. This thread has made a mark and I've seen it mentioned elsewhere on this site. Hopefully that person will not feel discouraged from seeking support and hopefully that person will read this entire thread to see your full point. :flowerforyou:

Thank you, Ms Cullen ( I LOVE EDWARD),

If someone is questioning themselves, I am sooo happy for them! I really, truly am. Even if anyone questioning themselves isnt guilty of it, I think its definitely a wake-up call to keep yourself in check. When I started realizing how many people are doing it the unhealthy way, it made me realize that I DIDNT want to do it that way. It helped me. Maybe me bringing it to the forefront will help someone else.

I wont buy that people have looked at diaries and saw the same things I did, and didnt have an opinion. This is just mine.

No debate point of view taken. You've communicated your point very well!

THANK YOU!
  • karmasBFF
    Options

Thank You!!!

I understand, the topic kind of got out of hand for a little while. I truly don't think you were out to hurt anyone. I can tell by some of your later posts that you felt betrayed by the lies in a sense and needed support yourself, which is what we are all here for in the first place. All I can say is stuff happens. I think your original post might have come across in a different way then you meant for it to, but the good thing about posts like this is that we all can learn something from it!:flowerforyou: Hopefully everyone will take the time to read this topic all the way through, maybe it will lead to a revelation for some one!

I hope so, too. :flowerforyou:
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    KARMASbff wrote: "Its public because I WANT to be held accountable for my food and if I can lie to myself about what I actually eat, then I can lie to myself about why its ok."

As long as you're being honest about why you're viewing others' diaries and not holding others to your standards or personal rules and are truly viewing food diaries for personal inspiration, not uninvited judgment of others or possible boundary crossing, you have nothing you need to examine in the mirror or worry about on others' diaries...do you?

I admit, I'm sometimes tempted not to enter 'that cookie' when I know it's taken me over my calories, but that's strictly my business. Not yours. My body, my business. Eyes on your own work kids. My diary is marked private because to me, that's what it is. I am old enough not to feel pressured to 'openly and truthfully' share my failures and successes with my 'friends', thus subjecting myself to their subtle sabotage. Sorry kiddo, but since you asked...[irony] I'm being as diplomatic as I know how.
    Hollycat :wink:
  • karmasBFF
    Options
    KARMASbff wrote: "Its public because I WANT to be held accountable for my food and if I can lie to myself about what I actually eat, then I can lie to myself about why its ok."

As long as you're being honest about why you're viewing others' diaries and not holding others to your standards or personal rules and are truly viewing food diaries for personal inspiration, not uninvited judgment of others or possible boundary crossing, you have nothing you need to examine in the mirror or worry about on others' diaries...do you?

I admit, I'm sometimes tempted not to enter 'that cookie' when I know it's taken me over my calories, but that's strictly my business. Not yours. My body, my business. Eyes on your own work kids. My diary is marked private because to me, that's what it is. I am old enough not to feel pressured to 'openly and truthfully' share my failures and successes with my 'friends', thus subjecting myself to their subtle sabotage. Sorry kiddo, but since you asked...[irony] I'm being as diplomatic as I know how.
    Hollycat :wink:

I was definitely honest in my first few posts. Initially, it was for ideas, Then, I noticed the lying and the cheating and then I couldnt help but look for it before I posted my praise. I also admitted this was something I had to stop doing because it was only hurting me. and I have! I'm proud of that! I've also decided not to post on any one's closing day status.

I dont call anyone out on their diaries and if they ask and I see a concern, I will ask if they want my opinion before I post it. Because it is their business and efforts. But it doesnt require guilt or self-examination for it to frustrate me; only concern for that person. But some people arent ready to change, only to take the credit for saying they want to. And that's ok too. That's their business, not mine.

I am glad you posted. I did ask for opinions and yours has been helpful. I just wish more people could have responded tastefully.
  • TwentyTen
    Options
    i actually hate that it encourages being under the calories. i'm at 1200 calories/day and have reached a point where i'm so adjusted to it that i'm having trouble consistently hitting my calories. i don't want to be encouraged for under eating.
    I also HATE that it encourages people to be under 1200 cals.

Me too!! What is up with THAT>?
  • 2kidzlater
    2kidzlater Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I hit the button by accident. I did go back and log the rest of my day's food.
    Stress is not good for the diet. I wouldn't stress out over someone else's food diary.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to read all 8 pages of this.... my thought is, stop reading this person's food diary. If it's not one that you are learning recipes or discovering what they ate to lose lots and lots of weight, then leave it alone.

People use their food diaries in many different ways.... sometimes they pre-enter the whole day, then go back and change something later. People will enter things just to see what the calorie content may be before eating it. I've even used the food diary at times to log my old ways of eating just to get an idea of how many calories I USED TO eat, out of curiosity. Could even be that they delete those "bad" foods at the end of the day because they're trying to see if they'd be doing well if they could just avoid the bad stuff- they already know their "real" calorie count number but are learning what it is they need to remove from their daily menu.

Does it really matter if the person is lying to make their number right at the end of the day? That person knows what they ate, and so does their body.... is it really that important that YOU or anyone else knows??

I repeat - if their food diary "cheating" bugs you, quit reading it.
This discussion has been closed.