Treadmill vs street

Options
Which do you prefer and why?

Replies

• crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Street street street street street. Better workout, not nearly as boring, don't have to push buttons to slow down or speed up, don't have to push buttons to have inclines, don't have a big red clock staring you in the face going "YOU STILL HAVE 20 EFFING MINUTES."

...I used to seriously prefer the treadmill because of climate control, TV, and constant speed. These are unnecessary, and I know better now.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Get off the dreadmill and hit the pavement, trails or the track!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Paved bike trails at the park! I don't trust drivers enough to hit the road but the treadmill is boring for running. I do fine walking on it, but running on it started feeling like torture once I moved outside!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'd rather run over hot lava than the treadmill.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Which do you prefer and why?

I like the street, simply because you can vary the route and scenery. Can't do that on a treadmill unless you've got a really fancy (and really expensive) machine.

Although, in the treadmill's favor, you can use that when the weather's crummy.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

Define "crummy". I'm sure my definition differs from yours, but here in the Baltimore area, I only had 4 crummy days last year in which I was forced onto the treadmill. :smile:
  • Taes_Hunt
    Taes_Hunt Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just recently purchased a treadmill to use during the winter time and because my 2 year old makes it super hard to enjoy a walk while he is screaming to get out and play... Gonna have to figure something out because I dont feel like Im buring enough calories when on the treadmill. Although, I do get to watch American Horror Story and I walk... :laugh:
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Equal opportunity here. I like paved trails at the park best, but I don't "do" nature or bad weather, so I'm really just fine on the treadmill too. I don't watch tv, listen to music or read-I run to clear my head, I get lost in the sound of the footsteps and the motor-and my head empties itself out and I'm good. Oddly, I do listen to music sometimes outside-but not always.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    I just recently purchased a treadmill to use during the winter time and because my 2 year old makes it super hard to enjoy a walk while he is screaming to get out and play... Gonna have to figure something out because I dont feel like Im buring enough calories when on the treadmill. Although, I do get to watch American Horror Story and I walk... :laugh:

If you are walking for the same amount of time and exerting the same amount of effort, you are burning the same amount of calories.
  • Taes_Hunt
    Options
    [/quote]

If you are walking for the same amount of time and exerting the same amount of effort, you are burning the same amount of calories.
    [/quote]

So, I dont have to walk at an incline or anything to get the same benefit as walking on a trail?
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

So, I dont have to walk at an incline or anything to get the same benefit as walking on a trail?

It's all about the effort. Do you use a heart rate monitor? That will tell you if you are exerting the same amount of effort.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I did 5 miles on my treadmill this morning only because we've had a fair bit of freezing rain the last couple of days (only the 2nd or 3rd time I've used it all of 2012 so far). I run in the heat and in the snow, running outside is interesting and fun and meditative whereas running on a treadmill is mind numbing.
  • Taes_Hunt
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

It's all about the effort. Do you use a heart rate monitor? That will tell you if you are exerting the same amount of effort.
    [/quote]

No, but I think that may be the next thing on my to buy list...
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

Define "crummy". I'm sure my definition differs from yours, but here in the Baltimore area, I only had 4 crummy days last year in which I was forced onto the treadmill. :smile:

Crummy for me (although I'm not the person you're asking) is anything not between 45 and 65 degrees, any kind of precipitation, wind more than 10mph, snow/ice/mud on the roads, and/or the threat of any of the above during the time I expect to be outside. I hate nature-and i am outside more than in (although I don't have any of the normal resentful feelings towards my treadmill). I will say safety is a much bigger issue than weather where I am-and that will bring me inside faster than hurricane sandy did.

Guess I'm a bit of a princess...
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'd ask how this is even a question, but then I'd get flooded by people who are too uncomfortable to run outside, think it's too hot or too cold or too dark or too bright or too wet or too dry or whatever else. So I won't.

Outside for me, no doubt about it.
  • Taes_Hunt
    Options

Crummy for me (although I'm not the person you're asking) is anything not between 45 and 65 degrees, any kind of precipitation, wind more than 10mph, snow/ice/mud on the roads, and/or the threat of any of the above during the time I expect to be outside. I hate nature-and i am outside more than in (although I don't have any of the normal resentful feelings towards my treadmill). I will say safety is a much bigger issue than weather where I am-and that will bring me inside faster than hurricane sandy did.

Im in OK, so we dont have many crummy days... the main thing is my son, BUT I completely understand... If its cloudy outside, I will not go out. (Mind over matter, my mind just isnt fully there yet I guess...)
  • Taes_Hunt
    Options
    I'd ask how this is even a question, but then I'd get flooded by people who are too uncomfortable to run outside, think it's too hot or too cold or too dark or too bright or too wet or too dry or whatever else. So I won't.

Outside for me, no doubt about it.

To each their own...
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

With those parameters, you might have gotten in a dozen or so runs outside here last year. :laugh:
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I prefer the street! I had been treadmill bound for quite some time and recently got outside and love it!!!
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Treadmill. Street is more fun, but hurts my knees more. Also, my friend who runs street has been followed before. She only runs with her dog and mace now.