Treadmill vs street

Options

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the pacing and distance I can easily determine from the treadmill, and when I run outside, I feel like I am going at a pace much faster than I'm able to maintain for long. I did just purchase a heart rate monitor, which could help.

This is very common for new(er) runners that have spent a bit of time of the treadmill before they venture outside. Your perception that you are running too fast is spot on. Without the machine to regulate it, you run faster than your fitness dictates. We like to run fast, it's human nature. :) As you become more experienced, you'll be able to dial in that pace.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Depends.

Ideally I like the trail, if the weather is pretty nice.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Treadmill. Street is more fun, but hurts my knees more. Also, my friend who runs street has been followed before. She only runs with her dog and mace now.

This. I love trails but when it comes down to it I am way to paranoid running outside by myself to let my head clear. Plus we don't have sidewalks in my neighborhood which makes it a little difficult to stay safe bc people come flying around some of the bends in the roads.
  • boostnerd
    Options
    Depends on what your trying to do...

The treadmill has a little extra cusion. Other then that I would say road it because the bordom factor.
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    Street!! Other than the weather, I have to get over my problems with that. I love running in the rain, but it can't be hard rain because I can't stand wet feet. I'm sure that the love will overtake me on that. I like the quiet and just listening to the world, especially since I run in the early AM before most are up. So peaceful.
  • Poecile
    Poecile Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm on the treadmill right now because it's really cold out, and I don't do well in the cold, but if I had my druthers, I'd be out walking the nature trails in the local park.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the pacing and distance I can easily determine from the treadmill, and when I run outside, I feel like I am going at a pace much faster than I'm able to maintain for long. I did just purchase a heart rate monitor, which could help.

This is very common for new(er) runners that have spent a bit of time of the treadmill before they venture outside. Your perception that you are running too fast is spot on. Without the machine to regulate it, you run faster than your fitness dictates. We like to run fast, it's human nature. :) As you become more experienced, you'll be able to dial in that pace.

I think I might have that problem... Switching to treadmils I can't maintain a 5.0 pace but outside I run a mile and a half in 15 minutes. Doesn't quite make sense to me.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Ditto!!!!! Treadmills are death - try running in the rain and be a kid again. Nothing like it!

Says someone who lives in California. I'm about to go running in the rain- it's 37degF out....all the kids are indoors with hot cocoa.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Street!! Other than the weather, I have to get over my problems with that. I love running in the rain, but it can't be hard rain because I can't stand wet feet. I'm sure that the love will overtake me on that. I like the quiet and just listening to the world, especially since I run in the early AM before most are up. So peaceful.

If you wear socks that are synthetic material that wicks away moisture (no cotton!), then your feet don't feel as wet and heavy.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Although, in the treadmill's favor, you can use that when the weather's crummy.

Define "crummy". I'm sure my definition differs from yours, but here in the Baltimore area, I only had 4 crummy days last year in which I was forced onto the treadmill. :smile:

Crummy for me (although I'm not the person you're asking) is anything not between 45 and 65 degrees, any kind of precipitation, wind more than 10mph, snow/ice/mud on the roads, and/or the threat of any of the above during the time I expect to be outside. I hate nature-and i am outside more than in (although I don't have any of the normal resentful feelings towards my treadmill). I will say safety is a much bigger issue than weather where I am-and that will bring me inside faster than hurricane sandy did.

With those parameters, you might have gotten in a dozen or so runs outside here last year. :laugh:

I did update my post to say that I am a bit of a princess. I really am outside more than in....I'm willing to stretch the temp criteria depending on amount of sun & wind, but I'm not about to run in the rain or snow (I know-princess...). Frankly, flooding has brought me inside more than weather criteria in the last year. I am ambivalent to the treadmill vs outside-so it just doesn't bother me to be inside. I do make more of an effort to be outside if I'm planning to do a race in the near future-but otherwise, I really don't care (I know that's not normal).

You really, really, really should try running in the snow if you get the chance. There really is nothing more peaceful. A trail run with about 2 inches of soft powder on the ground with snow falling overhead is poetic. The snow dampens the world and everything becomes so still and peaceful that you can feel every sound around you.

Do you worry about slipping? Wear different shoes? We haven't had any snow yet, but I do want to keep running once it starts flying.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I like both. Do what you gotta do to get it done.

^^This. I like the treadmill because it typically "gives" more than the ground outside, and for those of us here in WI, the winter can get a little too cold to comfortably run in. (My lungs start to burn like crazy when it gets below freezing). Having said that, it's extremely hard for me to do longer runs on treadmills because I get insanely bored after a few minutes.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    So, I dont have to walk at an incline or anything to get the same benefit as walking on a trail?
    Recommendation is 1-2% incline to make up for lack of wind resistance, etc.
  • darloeye
    Options
    The Street all day long its the best way of getting fit beause on the dreadmill youre just jumping up and down on the spot really does nothing for the body and puts alot of pressure on the knees.

Untrue on both accounts.

Which accounts ?
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

Define "crummy". I'm sure my definition differs from yours, but here in the Baltimore area, I only had 4 crummy days last year in which I was forced onto the treadmill. :smile:

Crummy for me (although I'm not the person you're asking) is anything not between 45 and 65 degrees, any kind of precipitation, wind more than 10mph, snow/ice/mud on the roads, and/or the threat of any of the above during the time I expect to be outside. I hate nature-and i am outside more than in (although I don't have any of the normal resentful feelings towards my treadmill). I will say safety is a much bigger issue than weather where I am-and that will bring me inside faster than hurricane sandy did.

With those parameters, you might have gotten in a dozen or so runs outside here last year. :laugh:

I did update my post to say that I am a bit of a princess. I really am outside more than in....I'm willing to stretch the temp criteria depending on amount of sun & wind, but I'm not about to run in the rain or snow (I know-princess...). Frankly, flooding has brought me inside more than weather criteria in the last year. I am ambivalent to the treadmill vs outside-so it just doesn't bother me to be inside. I do make more of an effort to be outside if I'm planning to do a race in the near future-but otherwise, I really don't care (I know that's not normal).

You really, really, really should try running in the snow if you get the chance. There really is nothing more peaceful. A trail run with about 2 inches of soft powder on the ground with snow falling overhead is poetic. The snow dampens the world and everything becomes so still and peaceful that you can feel every sound around you.

Do you worry about slipping? Wear different shoes? We haven't had any snow yet, but I do want to keep running once it starts flying.

Just regular trail shoes. The soft snow gives way enough that you don't really have to worry about slipping on it. If you get on a steep section, just shorten up your stride.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

Completely agree. A warm rain is really nice too... not enough to soak you, just enough to quiet the world down a bit.

Peace and quiet is always my goal. We don't get much warm rain here, but we get plenty of snow. Perhaps I'll take my tiara off one of these days and give it a shot. It does sound blissful when you describe it, but in my head the reality seems just cold & wet (like a wet rat). But I yearn to quiet the world, so we will have to see.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    The Street all day long its the best way of getting fit beause on the dreadmill youre just jumping up and down on the spot really does nothing for the body and puts alot of pressure on the knees.

Untrue on both accounts.

Which accounts ?

1. You are not "just jumping up and down".
    2. Running, of any kind is not putting "alot [sic] of pressure on the knees." This has been debunked many times over.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Oh gawd, will you guys stop with the "dreadmill" crap?

Might as well say screw it to the "dreadbell" too right? Screw lifting weights. Go outside in nature and pick up boulders n *kitten*.

P.S., if you're gonna call it names, I prefer "threatmill". :smile:
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    So, I dont have to walk at an incline or anything to get the same benefit as walking on a trail?
    Recommendation is 1-2% incline to make up for lack of wind resistance, etc.

Recent study conducted by Running Times showed that there is no compensation necessary for wind resistance until you are running sub 6:00 miles.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I like to have both as an option. I will not run outdoors at night or if it is above or below a certain temperature. I don't mind running in the rain, but ice and snow forget about it. Treadmill is great for those days, but it does get boring. I feel like I run much further outdoors.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Untrue on both accounts.

Which accounts ?

1. You are not "just jumping up and down".
    2. Running, of any kind is not putting "alot [sic] of pressure on the knees." This has been debunked many times over.

And the treadmill is quite a bit softer on the joints than most outdoor surfaces.